Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2016.03.31, 05:08 PM   #1
herman

How fast are they in mph/kph? Scale speed?

Greetings, was wondering if anyone has measured the actual speed of a mini-z? Like how fast do these things go in terms of mph/kph? For example, top speed for a stock brushed mr03, stock brushless (mr03ve), and finally a fully modified mr03ve.

And to come up with the scale speed we just multiply it by 27? (1/27 scale)
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.31, 08:56 PM   #2
KWT

I read somewhere that a stock mini-z's top speed is around 12 MPH. You can use one of the Hot wheels radar guns to measure speed.
KWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.31, 09:17 PM   #3
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
Greetings, was wondering if anyone has measured the actual speed of a mini-z? Like how fast do these things go in terms of mph/kph? For example, top speed for a stock brushed mr03, stock brushless (mr03ve), and finally a fully modified mr03ve.

And to come up with the scale speed we just multiply it by 27? (1/27 scale)

Hey Herman I want to believe that is the case but I think there was some argument about weight and such that didn't quite make it an across the board equation. http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/scalespeed.html I found this in a quick google search but it only goes up to 1/24 scale.

Kris
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.31, 09:58 PM   #4
thestug

Quote:
Originally Posted by byebye View Post
Hey Herman I want to believe that is the case but I think there was some argument about weight and such that didn't quite make it an across the board equation. http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/scalespeed.html I found this in a quick google search but it only goes up to 1/24 scale.

Kris
Yep, scale speed is different than simply multiplying the actual speed by the scale size of the car. The numbers that are found this way are only factoring in the scale distance. The "best" way to determine scale speed is to multiply the actual speed of the car times the square root of the scale factor.

So a 1/27 scale Mini-z traveling at 12mph would be:

12* root(27) = 62.352 scale MPH

However, I would think that 12mph for a mini-z would be a slow top speed?

Either way, the idea of scale speed can be a really complicated subject if one wants to really get into it.

The script asylum uses the same method for calculating the scale speed that I used. There are other much more complicated methods.
Old 2016.04.01, 12:19 AM   #5
herman

Thanks for all your answers... Much appreciated
Anybody measure the actual speeds of the the variants mentioned?
So stock is 12mph? What about the brushless stock and fully modded brushless?
Can anyone guess? Say close to 30-35mph? Thanks again in advance.
Old 2016.04.01, 06:46 AM   #6
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
in short, no. there is no collective data on the average speed of each type of car and or motor configuration. the consensus was a stock car is between 12-13MPH based on MR-02 data so this too may be outdated. in short, no one seems to have either the interest, time and or equipment to do this testing and make it available to all.

there are old video's, that may no longer be active, that show heavily modified cars going as fast as 50MPH. that was way back in the PRO-Z days with 2x13 fet stacks... hats off to those guys with the skill to keep a 6" car tracking well enough to hit 50MPH on a street no less. i've raced mini-z on streets and a pebble can wipe you out at high speed.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.04.01, 08:04 AM   #7
doug01n

Send a message via MSN to doug01n
Real life? Don't know.... On Tamiya speed checkers, a good 70T motor on stock fets shows 30km/h. This would be 18 or 19mph.

A 32 T motor can reach 58km/h (just saw a video today) but it's not running, only test on speed checker.

Take this as theoretical speeds, than you have at least a starting point.
doug01n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.04.02, 09:41 PM   #8
herman

Thanks again for all replies...

Reason behind this is that I am making an article and would like to know the actual speed of the mr03 variants and the corresponding scale speed. Wondering (yep I've been wondering a lot lately lol) if anybody got a speed gun or has access to one... (like the one the cops use to take the speed of oncoming vehicles or the kind they use in baseball to clock the pitchers fastball) and kinda tried measuring their speeds...

Was wondering (again?!?) is it safe to state that they can reach 12mph=19kph roughly 100kph (scale speed)?

Thanks again in advance
Old 2016.04.03, 08:11 AM   #9
KWT

Found a video of speed tests for various mini-z cars

https://youtu.be/E4Zr7sqPSN4
KWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.04.03, 12:41 PM   #10
herman

Thanks for the link...