Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2005.01.28, 11:29 PM   #1
Buckaroo_Banzai
It flies like a truck...

Frequencies in higher CB range

I noticed on Dracs freq page that the lowest x mod channel (7) is right above 26.94 Mhz and you aren't allowed to go lower... and the highest of the x mod frequencies (6) is at CB channel 23 at 27.255 Mhz, but there's lots of room above that in the rest of the CB range. I also see that there are rc parts shops that sell crystals in freqs all the way through the rest of the CB channels up to 40 (27.405 Mhz.)

My question is this... if I bought a 27.300 Mhz crystal set I'd be between CB channel 29 and 30 and far away from all the other x mod standard channels so I wouldn't have to worry about interference from them, right? I'd be all alone unless someone else bought a crystal set up there too. It's not illegal to use a crystal set that's up in the higher CB range, is it... as long as you stay below channel 40?
Buckaroo_Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.01.29, 03:46 AM   #2
Draconious

Send a message via AIM to Draconious Send a message via Yahoo to Draconious
the trick is... you need an RX and a TX xtal for the mini-Z car and radio.. and they are NOT the same crystal.. they are off slightly from each other.. tx/rx wise... but yes if xtal pairs were made in this area of the spectrum they woudl work for the cars.... and it would also be leagal -- however if there is CB conversations on thos channels in that area.. the VOICE use of the channel has 100% priority over the cars... and I wouldnt want to use it near a highway... might get a car driving bye talking on yoru freq

Edit... hmm maybe this is why Iwaver and Xmod xtals have issues? cuz maybe they are exactly the same xtal? hmm pondering lol.

Last edited by Draconious; 2005.01.29 at 03:57 AM.
Draconious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.01.30, 02:00 AM   #3
Buckaroo_Banzai
It flies like a truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconious
the trick is... you need an RX and a TX xtal for the mini-Z car and radio.. and they are NOT the same crystal.. they are off slightly from each other.. tx/rx wise... but yes if xtal pairs were made in this area of the spectrum they woudl work for the cars.... and it would also be leagal
Cool. Rc Mart carries a mess of crystal sets (Rx and Tx pairs) in just about every freq that go all the way up through the CB channels, including the freqs between CB channels like 27.300 Mhz (unless I'm confused about what I'm seeing in their site catalog) that's why I was asking. Thanks!
Old 2005.01.30, 08:20 AM   #4
ExtraPickles
Bringing up the rear...

I would like to see the FCC regs where this is stated to be legal... it is my understanding that it is not. Not that I care about legal or not, just don't like to see possible gray area info that could somehow cause someone a legal problem in rare instances.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...2000&TYPE=TEXT

-pickles N3MF

Last edited by ExtraPickles; 2005.01.30 at 08:30 AM.
ExtraPickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.01.30, 02:09 PM   #5
bw762

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtraPickles
I would like to see the FCC regs where this is stated to be legal... it is my understanding that it is not. Not that I care about legal or not, just don't like to see possible gray area info that could somehow cause someone a legal problem in rare instances.

-pickles N3MF
What if someone was using 27.400 at home. How does the FCC enforce the regs?
bw762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.01.30, 03:57 PM   #6
Buckaroo_Banzai
It flies like a truck...

Quote:

-pickles N3MF
I totally agree. I'd like to have more channels but I don't want to interfere with anything important, and the reg you cited on the web page appears to be very clear about what freqs the AM 27 bands can use... and there's only 6 specific freqs.

However, that raises these questions... if there are only 6 specific freqs that can be used by AM R/C then how can the ch 7-12 xmod crystals be legal? Because they're using off freqs not specifically listed on that website. And if those off freqs can legally be used then why can't the other slightly higher freqs in the 27 range be used as long as they're in between the CB channels? You risk getting interference in your car, but I doubt you'll interfere with more powerful transmitters very much.

I don't know about the actual legality, but common sense tells me that if you stay within the 27 band referred to on that website, and keep between the CB channels where you're less likely to walk on a CB'er, you'll probably won't interfere with any rescue, fire, CB conversation, etc and so therefore they probably won't be out tracking you down. Just a guess... I'd really like to know for sure.
Old 2005.01.31, 03:05 AM   #7
ExtraPickles
Bringing up the rear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo_Banzai
However, that raises these questions... if there are only 6 specific freqs that can be used by AM R/C then how can the ch 7-12 xmod crystals be legal?
Technically, I don't think they are.

-pickles
Old 2005.01.31, 09:17 AM   #8
Buckaroo_Banzai
It flies like a truck...

Quote:
Technically, I don't think they are.

-pickles
Then how could such a large, well known, US electronics company like Radio Shack get away with selling them?
Old 2005.01.31, 09:44 AM   #9
ExtraPickles
Bringing up the rear...

Quote:
Then how could such a large, well known, US electronics company like Radio Shack get away with selling them?
All I want is to see is the actual FCC reg that supersedes or overrides the information I understand to be fact through research on the subject. It wouldn't be illegal to own/sell xtals for whatever frequency, the xtals themselves aren't illegal, it's the device that would be illegal but not until it was it is transmitting on an unauthorized frequency.

-pickles

Last edited by ExtraPickles; 2005.01.31 at 09:55 AM.
Old 2005.01.31, 10:18 AM   #10
Buckaroo_Banzai
It flies like a truck...

Quote:
All I want is to see is the actual FCC reg that supersedes or overrides the information I understand to be fact through research on the subject. It wouldn't be illegal to own/sell xtals for whatever frequency, the xtals themselves aren't illegal, it's the device that would be illegal but not until it was it is transmitting on an unauthorized frequency.
-pickles
I'm not challenging your research, I'm just asking a question. And yes, I do believe that if a company as large as Radio Shack was selling toys that transmit on illegal channels there would be somebody somewhere complaining. And if nobody is noticing or caring about those illegal freqs then they must not be doing any harm, or they're so weak nobody is noticing, so I don't see why I can't transmit on another freq that's a couple notches up and between two CB bands. I mean, if nobody notices or cares and it doesn't interfere with anyone or cause any problems what's the big deal?

Oh, and by the way, that link you posted is very old. Here's the latest version of those rules and regs... 2003 CFR Title 47, Vol 5
Old 2005.01.31, 10:55 AM   #11
solartech
r/c user

Kopropo also offers 12 frequencys which are legal in the U.S. The odd numbers are half channels and the even numbers equal kyosho 1-6. If you read the freq nunber printed on the tx crystal you will see what I mean.
solartech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.01.31, 12:00 PM   #12
Ninja
Mechanic

Send a message via MSN to Ninja Send a message via Yahoo to Ninja
the CB radio channels are considered "citizen" band frequencies, you can use any frequency within this band as you wish, the only catch is, the lesser electronics MUST accept any and all interference from the more powerful electronics. just keep that in mind when choosing common frequencies
I am a FIRM believer in "Run what ya brung"......Unless it's your MOUTH!!!
Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.01.31, 12:23 PM   #13
ExtraPickles
Bringing up the rear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja
the CB radio channels are considered "citizen" band frequencies, you can use any frequency within this band as you wish, the only catch is, the lesser electronics MUST accept any and all interference from the more powerful electronics. just keep that in mind when choosing common frequencies
Great! Show me a link to the reg on it. I'm not debating any of it, just want to see the actual reg that supercedes or overrides what I have been able to find.

-pickles
Old 2005.01.31, 12:26 PM   #14
ExtraPickles
Bringing up the rear...

Quote:
I'm not challenging your research, I'm just asking a question. And yes, I do believe that if a company as large as Radio Shack was selling toys that transmit on illegal channels there would be somebody somewhere complaining. And if nobody is noticing or caring about those illegal freqs then they must not be doing any harm, or they're so weak nobody is noticing, so I don't see why I can't transmit on another freq that's a couple notches up and between two CB bands. I mean, if nobody notices or cares and it doesn't interfere with anyone or cause any problems what's the big deal?

Oh, and by the way, that link you posted is very old. Here's the latest version of those rules and regs... 2003 CFR Title 47, Vol 5
Again, not debating the "what ifs"... it's either legal or not. Just want to see the regs that make it legal, all I can find are ones stating otherwise. Reading it on a forum doesn't make it legal, there must be an existing reg somewhere.

-pickles

Last edited by ExtraPickles; 2005.01.31 at 12:28 PM.
Old 2005.01.31, 12:37 PM   #15
ExtraPickles
Bringing up the rear...

Buck,

The direct quote from your updated copy of the regs, it's very specific wording. The actual (any object or apparatus, except an R/C transmitter) refers to an actual transmitter controlled remotely and not a R/C type transmitter per se so it has nothing to do with the discussion:

Sec. 95.207 (R/C Rule 7) On what channels may I operate?

(a) Your R/C station may transmit only on the following channels
(frequencies):
(1) The following channels may be used to operate any kind of device
(any object or apparatus, except an R/C transmitter), including a model
aircraft device (any small imitation of an aircraft) or a model surface
craft device (any small imitation of a boat, car or vehicle for carrying
people or objects, except aircraft): 26.995, 27.045, 27.095, 27.145,
27.195 and 27.255 MHz.
(2) The following channels may only be used to operate a model
aircraft device:
blah
blah
blah

-pickles

Last edited by ExtraPickles; 2005.01.31 at 12:40 PM.