Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2005.05.30, 03:50 AM   #1
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

Question ‘Fuzzy Logic’ Light Kit

I’m looking for a light kit like the “Midnight Driver”. Always on (unless no action for a bit), and tail lights that get bright in idle, reverse, or braking.

Has anyone tried the Iwaver Light Kit? T o y East’s auction claims it has “fuzzy logic” so the tail lights are half bright in forward and full bright in reverse. They also state it works with the Mini-Z.

Is the Iwaver kit always on? No fade due to speed? Are they only on when the car is moving, or is there some idle time? It’s just far cheaper than the Midnight Driver, which also has more lights than I need. Just headlights and tail lights will do.

This will be for the MR-02MM McLaren LM. Incidentally, I’m also looking for the McLaren ‘white body’ for a custom paint scheme. I get the impression Kyosho made about three of them and they’ve all sold out.
Dusty Weasle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.05.30, 10:17 AM   #2
bda52
I want my two dollars!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to bda52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Weasle
I’m looking for a light kit like the “Midnight Driver”. Always on (unless no action for a bit), and tail lights that get bright in idle, reverse, or braking.

Has anyone tried the Iwaver Light Kit? T o y East’s auction claims it has “fuzzy logic” so the tail lights are half bright in forward and full bright in reverse. They also state it works with the Mini-Z.

Is the Iwaver kit always on? No fade due to speed? Are they only on when the car is moving, or is there some idle time? It’s just far cheaper than the Midnight Driver, which also has more lights than I need. Just headlights and tail lights will do.

This will be for the MR-02MM McLaren LM. Incidentally, I’m also looking for the McLaren ‘white body’ for a custom paint scheme. I get the impression Kyosho made about three of them and they’ve all sold out.
I have the IW light kit. The light kit only works when you have power going to the motor. Yes, there is fade if you just gun it to full power. No, they do not stay on when the car is stationary or an extra delay. Yes, the brake lights light up brighter when you use the brakes.

The part that is really annoying with the light set is running under dimmed lights and you release the throttle go enter a corner and the headlights go out.

If you are just looking for a light kit, it is OK. The lights are very bright and the price is great!

If you are looking for this kit to race at night or with the lights out this kit is not for you. Your car will disappear for a moment when you release the throttle to slow down for corners.
bda52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.05.30, 09:48 PM   #3
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

Thanks bda52, you just saved me from buying twice. Sounds like the Midnight Driver is the way to go in my case.

Here in Phoenix there are no indoor tracks that run mini’s (that I can find), so I usually run on the asphalt in front of my house with a chalked out track. Night time offers less traffic interruption, and it’s just the low side of 100deg without the sun. So, I need the headlights for both me to see and any 1:1 cars barreling recklessly around the residential corners.

You’d think indoor tracks would be popular here in the desert but everything seems geared toward off-road 1:10.
Old 2005.05.31, 02:49 PM   #4
saiyan
BooYa!!

I have several sets of the Iwaver lights and they only come on with power to the motor. I was thinkin of trying to figure out a way to by-pass the board so that the headlights would be on all the time, but i may just get the light kit that does that already.

There is an indoor carpet track for the 1:10 in Tempe. Now that i have shifted my work week to have week-ends off, I was thinkin of talking to the guy and see if i could get atleast 3 racers together if he would do a mini-z class. I'm sure he would as it would just be more money for him. Most of the places i've raced at require at least 3 before they run a class. I've also been debating on getting a track and doing a GTG of some sort for just the mini-z and maybe 1:18's. I was gonna see if some the LHS would let me post a 'sign up' sheet to get a count and a idea of how many would be interested in racing their minis. I live near 19th ave and Camelback so i've been lookin for some ' space ' around here. Initially i might have to have the GTG in the ' club house ' here in my town home communitty.
Kamehamehaaaaa!!!!!! Rallye racers are the originators of drift Speedchannel on-line rocks!!
saiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.05.31, 03:37 PM   #5
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
do some searching... i found a midnight driver like light set available in the u.s. for $19. it had the exact same product description as the yeah racing midnight driver light set which i've only been able to find on rcfart. i lost the link and don't recall where it was that i found it anymore but i do have one midnight light set and never installed it as it was ment for my chopped land cruiser which is likely never to be finished unless i start over on a new body.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.05.31, 07:19 PM   #6
mellanger19
Student in training

Send a message via MSN to mellanger19
has anyone tried just hooking up some LEDs on their own? it should just be a simple process of wiring them to the motors....

...I did a robotics project a few weeks ago and we got a flashing LED and a buzzer to go "beep beep" when the robot backed up. It was actually a fairly simple process, the hardest part is finding the right resistor for the lights...

if i can get the LEDs and resistors, i might just make my own light set. ...we'll see...

Chromed out MZM 40th Anniversary Edition

If you haven't broke it, you don't use it enough.
mellanger19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.05.31, 08:46 PM   #7
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
i've made MANY lightsets myself. i even have many wiring diagrams in my how to and custom work albums.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.06.01, 04:48 AM   #8
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

Yeah, I found the Midnight Driver at everyone’s favorite on-line site, that land waaay over the horizon. None of my LHS can get it, much less knew what I was talking about. In fact, with Kyosho doing their distribution change-over, seems they can’t order much of anything for awhile.

I talked with an electronics friend about a DIY, but we both decided that if $25 was the worst damage I may as well just order one. It’s the ‘Fuzzy Logic’ part that makes it more fuss than it’s worth to build. (Work/kids/eat/sleep, all adds up against time).

I looked through your album arch2b, cool stuff in there. Good detail and clear pictures, helpful. I like the way you’ve mounted your lights. I’ll have to try that on mine.

Saiyan, I’d be in if you can get the Tempe site to host races. I live way out in the North Valley at 35th Ave and Deer Valley, but I could make the drive from time to time.

Speed Sports (hobby shop) at 35th Ave and Thunderbird periodically hosts racing in the parking lot. I was out there a couple weeks ago. Mostly 1:10 monsters but there were a few Mini-T’s. I had my 1:14 Carisma Formula 1 cars (won the class too, and on three wheels at one point, that was a blast). I showed the Mini-Z around and there seemed to be some interest in the scale.

Speed Sports also has a modest 1:32 slot car track.

Some of the guys said they race Sat mornings in the Metro Center parking lot next to Castles and Coasters. There’s also a nearly abandoned parking lot tucked in behind Hooters near I-17 and Bell, next to Kyoto Bowl. Wide open and broadly wavy surface for elevation changes. I haven’t tried it out yet but it looks promising. Most surfaces around here are coated with low profile chassis destroying gravel.
Old 2005.06.01, 05:29 AM   #9
monster-z

I just finished making my own custom light set. It has break lights that get brighter when you break. The supply connects directly to the battery terminals where the pcb does. This way it's always on, when the car is...
Here is the link to the thread http://www.minizracer.com/forums/sho...ear#post186289
The picture of my wiring diagram is actually wrong. I used different resistor values in the actual build.

I am now working on yet another version that allows for high-beam head lights, break lights, reverse light, spot lights on the roof, and possible a reverse beeper.

I made the first one for less than 15 $USD
Old 2005.06.01, 11:47 AM   #10
saiyan
BooYa!!

I have been inside Speed Sports and it's nice. I saw that he sold monster trucks and he did say that he was thinkin of holding some races for them. Maybe i could talk to him as well about hosting some mini-z races too. I'll be goin to Hobby Action in Tempe probably saturday to talk to them. Speed Sports would be closer for both of us though.

I have built my own light kits befor for my 1:10 cars and e-maxx (xcept for the lightbar on it). The problem i have is just scaling it down and using the car's batteries as a power source as i usually use 9v to power my lights. I was thinkin of using a 'jumper' in the light kit board from the front lights to the power circuit. I'm just not sure what the effect of basically doubling the power to the lights when i throttle it will have on the board. Frying a resistor in a $5 light kit is better then a $28 I board or an $80+ K board. Maybe if i also 'break' the solder line in the board to the front lights it won't damage anything.

In another thread around here i'm working on wirring up my r34 police body with flashing lights. I'm using two Iwaver light kits so that i have the hid effect and also since there are 4 brake light lenses. I picked up a 'winky' light kit for $7 that i'm using for the light bar. I'm trying to get 1 set of head light and tail lights to flash alternatingly along with the light bar. I have yet to descide if i want the flashing lights on all the time or if i want them to be off when i'm parked behind a bush and then turn on when i give chase. They would then of course turn off as soon as i pulled over the chasee. Maybe some sort of timer would with a capacitor or something could be used to keep the light bar flashing while a ticket is being written.
Kamehamehaaaaa!!!!!! Rallye racers are the originators of drift Speedchannel on-line rocks!!
Old 2005.06.02, 03:33 AM   #11
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

Yikes monster-z! You’re gonna need a mini-trailer hitched to the back to haul an extra battery pack around for all that stuff. I read your thread on the mercury switch. Clever idea, but wouldn’t the brake lights flicker as the car jostles about while driving?

I saw your thread on the police car too, saiyan. You gave me an idea for an event type:

Hot Pursuit: Cars must run a course (or maybe drive over a series of ‘waypoints’) while the ‘Cop’ tries to tag them. Tagged cars are eliminated from the track. The last car must make one final circuit without being tagged to win.

Alternate- Deputy: Tagged cars are deputized and chase the outlaw cars. Again, the last car must make one final circuit without being tagged to win.

And if you’re beatin’ and bangin’ like that, there’s always good old fashioned Tag. But that would probably result in way too much damage since people will be going every which way.
Old 2005.06.02, 08:33 AM   #12
monster-z

Quote:
I read your thread on the mercury switch. Clever idea, but wouldn’t the brake lights flicker as the car jostles about while driving?
I thought about that. I overcame the problem by fixing the PCB on an angle backwards. That way there is more force acting on the mercury inside, pushing it to the back on the tube while you are accelerating while turning and such.
Old 2005.06.02, 03:27 PM   #13
saiyan
BooYa!!

Yes HOT PURSUIT is the goal eventually when i get a track to run on. Those rules seem like they would work. I believe that arch2b does a version of HOT PURSUIT when he does the GTG's. I eventually want to have several styles of cars done up as POPO, FED and DEA . I also want to have some OLs done up as DEA and Border Patrole. I love all of the Hot Pursuit titles and still play them all the time . I also like Smugglers Run as well hence the OLs. The funny thing is that i enjoy playing these games and ditching the POPO, but i always wanted to be a cop when i was a kid.
Old 2005.06.06, 02:00 AM   #14
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

Saiyan, I finally checked out that Kyoto Bowl parking lot location. Here's the update thread:

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showth...074#post188074
Old 2005.06.09, 02:19 AM   #15
saiyan
BooYa!!

D W....Kewl. I've subscribed to it now.

I'll be posting pics soon of my police r-34 as i'm almost done with the lighting.