Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2018.12.20, 07:46 PM   #16
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Tire compound simply is not needed, and traction becomes very inconsistent on RCP when it is used. Some also break down the foran in the track. If you are on the right tire, traction is very high, often too high, where you are working the setup to reduce traction.

Kyosho 20 rear 30 front is usually a good combo for stock or pro stock. Modified PN super soft rear and medium or firm front is usually good. The PN have more traction, but wear quicker. In stock having too much grip slows the car's down in my experience.
Old 2018.12.21, 12:10 AM   #17
benwih

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
Tire compound simply is not needed, and traction becomes very inconsistent on RCP when it is used. Some also break down the foran in the track. If you are on the right tire, traction is very high, often too high, where you are working the setup to reduce traction.

Kyosho 20 rear 30 front is usually a good combo for stock or pro stock. Modified PN super soft rear and medium or firm front is usually good. The PN have more traction, but wear quicker. In stock having too much grip slows the car's down in my experience.
how about when the rear tire run out? No traction compound but only compound that restore natural rubber and cleaned with some rcp cleaner just before running on track
benwih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.12.21, 01:43 AM   #18
EMU
EMUracing

Alcohol to clean the tire is fine. Putting unknown compounds on the tire can effect the track, which is why all of the major rules on tracks that use RCP only permit alcohol to clean the tires.
Old 2018.12.21, 03:22 PM   #19
Qball41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qball41 View Post
None of use have a truer, so nothing is being cut down. We are running them stock.

The fronts that were fast, but wore quickly were the PN 20 degree V groove fronts.

We have been running on the texture side for about a half hour now. On the smooth side, we were always fighting a push. now on the texture side, we are running kyosho 20 rear/ 30 front. That would typically push on the smooth side, but is a touch loose on the texture side. I never thought a 30 front could provide enough grip, but on textured, it does.

I then tried PN KS medium slicks on the front, and PN KS Super softs on the rear. That nailed it. My best laps were not faster than the kyoshos, but much more consistent. The car was stable and you could drive it harder.
UPDATE: After getting the car dialed in on the PK KS series tires, I've now been running them to see how long they will last.

As I said, the other tires would last a day. With these tires running on the textured side I now have 4 race days worth of time on the tires. They are just as fast as when they were new.
Old 2018.12.22, 07:26 PM   #20
TPDazzle

A couple things to think about for your track. I have read about people cleaning silicone off their track successfully. Check the RCP forum on this board. That said, the HFAY series uses the rough side, so if your group is into trying that this season, you might as well keep the textured surface.
TPDazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.12.22, 10:36 PM   #21
Qball41

We like the textured side and will continue to use it. I put more time on the same set of tires today and they are holding strong!
Old 2019.01.08, 12:00 PM   #22
LJH

Hello All,
Relative newbie here, I have been running Mini-z for around 6 months. I was lucky enough to get a Mini-96 track, and a bucket load of extension pieces, from a friend of a friend for free. I do not think the track was used much and I do not leave the track set up permanently so it is still getting "run-in" as the pieces get moved around each time I put it together. I have been running on the textured side and have @30 hours of run time just doing hot laps and using a timer app on my phone to chart my progress.

As for tires when I first started running I made a circuit in our kitchen and tried a bunch of different tires to find what worked well on hardwood floors. I found that the Kyosho 20R in the back and 30's in the front were better then the KS's (Soft in the rear and Med in the front)on the hard wood floors. I had read so much about the Kyosho tires on RCP that the first time I ran on RCP I just used them......I was shocked by how quickly they wore, I mean like 100 laps and there was noticeable wear. As I was trying different set ups I tried the KS's again. The KS's were faster and wear much better. I put a set of new KS's on a car last Saturday morning, I ran A LOT (1000+) of laps over the weekend and the tires show wear but are still totally fine. When I was running the Kyosho's they would be bald in a day. I have finally worn out the first set of KS's I bought and have found that the PN's do lose a bit of pace when the tread is gone but still drive fine. while the KS's are more expensive to begin with they last so much longer then the Kyosho's that in the long run they cost less to run.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.01.08, 12:19 PM   #23
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Picky drivers. I run tires till there thinnest of rubber bands. I don’t really concern myself with visible tread on tires. I generally run the 30 radials on front and can get 2-4 race days before the tread is gone but ti’s not a big deal for me, most would true the tread off on the front anyway. Many true tires anyway taking any tread off. If your the type of racer that only uses tires while they are at the best, your going to pay the piper so to speak. Otherwise, run them till they just about fall off. peak performance has a cost... many state the Marka rubber tires are the longest lasting and those are slicks to begin with.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.01.08, 01:15 PM   #24
Qball41

Welcome Jim.

I am familiar with your posts and your home racing from the RC Tech thread.

I have been very pleased with the KS series tires. I now have 8 race days on them and they have fallen off less than a tenth of a second (on laps averaging just under 5 seconds). This is using the KS medium fronts - slicks, and KS supersoft rears - treaded. I think there is a lot more use let in these tires even after all that time on them.

As Arch2b mentioned, I don't true my tires at all. Take them out of the package, slap them on and go. MY fronts have had a little coning, which one other driver keeps pointing out. I don't worry about it because they run fine! I'll run them down to rubber bands too if they don't slow down!

You probably already know this but avoid the silicone tires as they make the surface unusable for rubber tires.

Last edited by Qball41; 2019.01.08 at 01:17 PM.
Qball41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.01.08, 01:26 PM   #25
EMU
EMUracing

After using some PN tires recently, notably the super soft rear, I found that they were much more consistent than the old tires fron before I took my hiatus.

The old tires would be good for a while, then dropped off a steep cliff even when there was tread. The newer tires on my modified car lasted 4 full race days before any noticeable drop off. I am going to do more testing with the soft.

I still like the feel of kyosho front 30, as I had driven it for so long that I know what it does in different conditions.
Old 2019.01.08, 04:01 PM   #26
Mike Keely

Just so you know Eugene I was looking at my car today and noticed that I did have Super Soft KS rears on my car for Mod. class.
Old 2019.01.08, 05:06 PM   #27
EMU
EMUracing

Good to know. I was wondering how you had so much grip with the soft. I don't know if I got a bad set, but I couldn't get them to hook up out off the bag. I need to gsr a few sets of their front tires aaggres see if I need any setup changes to get them to work for me. I just don't have any feel when I used them.
Old 2019.01.09, 12:16 PM   #28
LJH

I was just ordering more tires and now have a couple questions.

-what is the deal with the "F Type" PN tires. is it just a different tread pattern? Is there much of a difference between the regular KS tires and the M's?

-I have been looking at wheels, I am a bit of a wheel geek on my 1:1 cars :-). I see that PN has 14MM wheels. I am guessing these are 14MM wide? What do you use these for? I have not seen any 14MM wide tires.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.01.09, 01:39 PM   #29
Qball41

I believe the 14mm wheels are smaller diameter than the normal 17mm. But double check me because I am not sure.

Under the PN category there is a discussion about the F and M type tires. Basically, it states that the M tires have a different "feel" but doesn't really explain how that feel is different.
Old 2019.01.09, 01:39 PM   #30
Mike Keely

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJH View Post
I was just ordering more tires and now have a couple questions.

-what is the deal with the "F Type" PN tires. is it just a different tread pattern? Is there much of a difference between the regular KS tires and the M's?

-I have been looking at wheels, I am a bit of a wheel geek on my 1:1 cars :-). I see that PN has 14MM wheels. I am guessing these are 14MM wide? What do you use these for? I have not seen any 14MM wide tires.

Cheers,
Jim
-what is the deal with the "F Type" PN tires. is it just a different tread pattern?
Yes, They also have a slight cone shape to them. This is designed to help it rotate more.

Is there much of a difference between the regular KS tires and the M's? The M's are a slightly harder compound again designed to help the car rotate better.

-I have been looking at wheels, I am a bit of a wheel geek on my 1:1 cars :-). I see that PN has 14MM wheels. I am guessing these are 14MM wide? Correct What do you use these for? Not sure myself I have not seen any 14MM wide tires. Me either