Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2018.03.28, 08:44 PM   #1
yellowdog

Rear tire thickness w/o traction

Hi,

I am a 2wd driver using PN KS super soft for rear tire. Would like to ask how thick will the rear tire lose traction? My rear tire still have 24mm diameter but lost traction at tail and resume normal after changing new one with around 25.5mm diameter.

Firstly, I thought the car spins because the spur gear (53t)of ball diff touch ground but checked that the spur still have ~1mm to the ground. That seems not a problem. So would like to ask experienced driver how long can the rear tire be used.

Thanks.
yellowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.03.29, 01:10 AM   #2
TeeSquared
Redline

Is the body rubbing a little when the suspension is compressed? I had this issue with all of my cars that ran the McLaren 12C body. Solution was to remove material from the rear diffuser such that the chassis touches the ground before the body does.
TeeSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.03.29, 02:18 AM   #3
yellowdog

I think not but I will have a check. It also happen even I run without body. Thanks.
Old 2018.03.29, 05:52 AM   #4
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

You haven't mentioned the surface you are running on so I will assume RCP.
The first thing I would do would be to try a different tire combination like kyosho 17-20 rears and Kyosho 2-30 fronts. If this cures your issue then you are home free. If it doesn't cure the concern then look to the diff adjustment or action.

It would be helpful if you posted a complete breakdown of what you are running so that all aspects can be factored in.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.03.29, 10:49 AM   #5
yellowdog

I am running RCP with front PN KS soft and rear SS. The combination is fine when rear tire is new but begin to lose traction when the rear tire worn out. So I guess the rear tire becomes thin and lose traction
Old 2018.03.29, 11:30 AM   #6
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

To each there own. What method are you using to adhere the tire to the wheel? As the tire wears it will peel up along the edges of wheel when cornering. This will effect how loose the car gets.
Old 2018.03.29, 05:57 PM   #7
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I have not used PN tires in a few years, but will share my experiences between Kyosho and PN rubber.

I have had very consistent performance with Kyosho rubber. PN rear tires offer more
peak performance, but the tire accepts fewer heat cycles before traction loss is noticed.

If I am racing for club racing, I would mostly use Kyosho tires. For events, PN rubber is preferable. When new, PN rubber is good for about .5s or more over Kyosho on many tracks that I have raced.

Higher performing motors may generate rear tire spinup with Kyosho rubber even when new, where PN would be able to sustain grip. Once the PN tire starts spinning up, its time to consider replacing to sustain the peak performance and consistency.

My tire choices are dictated by what I am racing. Slower motors, for many events, I will go with Kyosho tires, often the LM tires for the increased tire profile, and they seem to take heat cycles and age very well. For event races, where you want peak performance or more speed for fewer events, the PN tires will be more desired, but would need to be replaced more frequently.

Mount the tires with tape on the wheel, and its easy to swap them out. Tires are expendable, keep extra on hand, and swap out when needed. Expect to replace rear tires at least once per race day to keep consistent running.

If you replace the tire, and the grip is not back to normal, then the issue lies elsewhere. Suspension, t-plate, motor wires, body rubbing...
Old 2018.03.30, 12:05 PM   #8
yellowdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
To each there own. What method are you using to adhere the tire to the wheel? As the tire wears it will peel up along the edges of wheel when cornering. This will effect how loose the car gets.
I use double sided tape to adhere the tire on wheel
Old 2018.03.30, 05:33 PM   #9
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

There are at least three different tapes that are commonly used. A couple of them are not as high quality as the other. That in itself isn't too bad but as skill and speed increase the failure rate of the tape starts to show. Personally I wouldn't use anything but the offering from Kyosho in the R-246 line.
Old 2018.03.31, 11:11 PM   #10
yellowdog

I am using the one called "DAISO" from Japan. Don't know how it compare to R246, but it is quite sticky.
Old 2018.04.06, 04:58 PM   #11
RussF
Salt Lake Mini-Z

For what its worth at our track (RCP rough side) once the PN KS SS tread is gone the rear traction is also gone. Its more noticeable on a green or cold track with no visible treads left. Not as bad if you start the race day on a new or newish set and they wear down to no treads as the race day goes on.