Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2012.11.06, 10:00 AM   #1
RallyNut
Old Fart

Open source body compatibilty list

Hey Everyone,

Since I decided to get back into Mini-z, I have been trying to sort out the huge variety of wheelbases, offsets, widths etc.. of Mini-z bodies that have been released in the past few years.

I have decided to create an open source spreadsheet using Google Drive to have as a reference to help people choose their next body and assist in finding one that is compatible.

I have decided to leave it open for editing to anyone for the moment. If it becomes troublesome I may lock the editing to approved members only. All I ask is that you add your username to the list of contributors located in the rightmost column.

I'd like to keep the page formatting and populate the existing cells for now, but if you have a suggestion on more data to collect in the sheet, please let me know in this thread.

I hope that one day this will be a useful tool and everyone can contribute to the list!

The link is below:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...GxDeWhOaUFpZGc

Previous: Initial D FC RX-7 MR-01 :: MA-010 SP :: MF-010 McLaren :: MR-03 NSX
RallyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.07, 04:02 AM   #2
Pierro

Hey!

Nice idea to get an open version for this.
Wouldn't a chassis compatibility column be usefull too?
With chassis it's build for and chassis you can use it on.

Also for the offset, mention on which chassis it is. (02/03 wide or 015/03narrow or AWD)
Pierro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.07, 07:43 AM   #3
RallyNut
Old Fart

Hello Pierro,

Thanks for the suggestions. There is already a column for any issues relating to chassis compatibility. I hope that people with real-world experience can comment on whether a body fits or doesn't fit certain chassis.

As for the offset, I didn't realize that the offset was different with different chassis? Perhaps we could specify recommended MA-010 offsets in the notes column given that is isn't as common of a chassis?

Erik

Old 2012.11.07, 07:48 AM   #4
NoBrainer

cool idea, but maybe you also need partnumber and a picture to get this complete?
Old 2012.11.07, 08:09 AM   #5
mikedw

Here are a couple of documents that I believe were made by members here. Maybe some info you can use.
Cheers
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WHEELOFFSETS1.pdf (46.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: pdf offsetdata.pdf (232.3 KB, 35 views)
mikedw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.07, 09:58 AM   #6
herman

lots of good info...
another source
http://www.mini-z-guide.com/wheels.htm
http://www.mini-z-guide.com/bodies.htm
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.07, 10:57 AM   #7
RallyNut
Old Fart

nobrainer, hopefully we could add pics one day. The part numbers are something that I'm going to definitely add to the list.

miked, that's exactly what I've been looking for! thanks!

Herman, I have been gathering data from that site, but some of their data conflicts with the Kyosho numbers. Not sure what's up with that.

Old 2012.11.07, 12:30 PM   #8
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBrainer View Post
cool idea, but maybe you also need partnumber and a picture to get this complete?
part number could get daunting as the prefix codes have changed at least 3 times meaning up to 3 or more part numbers for most bodies. not all mind you, just ones that were released pre-gloss coat, again during gloss-coat and again post-gloss coat.

i once asked kyosho if they had this data and the response has always been, they do not catalog data meaning they do not keep records. theoretically, they should have a compiled list of every body that was sold with a part number based simply on catalogs over time. it doesn't exist however. i've tried to build a comprehensive list of all autoscales released but it's proved futile if the manufacturer doesn't care.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.07, 12:45 PM   #9
RallyNut
Old Fart

Arch2b, you make a good point. Perhaps part numbers are a bit pointless for the intended purpose of this list.

Really the intention of this database is for people to know what bodies are similar in terms of wheelbase, wheel offset and general fitment. There are many online shops and Kyosho's official site to see pictures of the bodies.

I think the real benefit of a spreadsheet is that it can be sorted according to specific parameters and being open source and cloud based it can be accessed at any time by anyone without having to download the sheet if you don't want to.

Anyways, I'll keep working on the sheet with the new data sources when I get some time.

Old 2012.11.07, 03:04 PM   #10
NoBrainer

I see your point regarding partnumbers, but then again, it don't have to de partnumbers that aren't around anymore.
Since I think what people need is to find a body they will buy with correct offset rims.

But anyway, the only problem with this spreadsheet is that anybody can of course do anything with it...
That goes both ways.

I really love all this information, since it helps a lot when deciding on a body.
Old 2012.12.21, 08:00 PM   #11
bevo

I would love a list that tells you if the cars are MM, RM, etc. It drives me crazy sometimes trying to figure out if a body I like is an MM or not.
Maybe you could add that to the spreadsheet.

I really can't believe the lack of effort places put in selling these mini z products. Most of the time they don't list anything about any mini z parts, or send directions on how to install parts. It's really frustrating when you first get into it.
Most sites list their products with no description at all of what you are buying. Some don't even offer pictures of most of their inventory. It amazes me that they don't try to give you as much information as they can on what they are selling. This is a hobby that you are constantly wanting to buy things for, but it's hard to do if you have no idea what the parts you are looking at are for.
Really if you run an MM car and want to buy some bodies how are you suppose to know what to buy if they don't tell you. I even called Kyosho america and asked about a few bodies they had online that I couldn't find out if they were MM or not and they couldn't tell me. I asked if they could point me to a list that tells what all bodies they make are and what mounts they fit, and he told me they made to many to list what mount they all use.

Mini z has to be the weirdest hobby when it comes to trying to get someone to sell you something. It's amazing the people that make the hop up parts and bodies don't take the time to try and sell them properly, and inform people about what they are looking at and how to use it.

Last edited by bevo; 2012.12.21 at 08:12 PM.
bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.22, 01:54 PM   #12
mikedw

RM and MM are funny designations that may mean nothing to someone who doesn't run stock parts. A 94mm body is RM designation but, there are a multitude of MM mounts that run at 94mm. Once you throw in the AWD, LM and HM you find wheelbase is really important.
Kyosho is good at putting its intended designation on the front of the Autoscale case which is nice.
Cheers
mikedw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.14, 02:52 PM   #13
optimaforever
Autoscale fan

Wonderful!
I was doing the same for all my collection too! (With the prices )
But I always had a hole in my spreadsheet for the early models. Kyosho recently added offset data sheets on their latest autoscales but before 2008 it was not always obvious. Not to mention I donīt always agree with their settings, which sometimes tend to give an odd look to the car.
search for autoscalestudio
optimaforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.17, 11:11 AM   #14
ChiMiniRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedw View Post
RM and MM are funny designations that may mean nothing to someone who doesn't run stock parts. A 94mm body is RM designation but, there are a multitude of MM mounts that run at 94mm. Once you throw in the AWD, LM and HM you find wheelbase is really important.
Kyosho is good at putting its intended designation on the front of the Autoscale case which is nice.
Cheers
Original MM or RM designation from Kyosho is helpful (or HM, LM). With all the new mr-02ex racers we have and that fact that autoscales are MM, RM designation. It helps.

Where I'm struggling is having the right info for white bodies. Folks want to buy them but we all struggle at times to suggest the correct wheel offsets or to know if a wheelbase (motor pod change in stock) is in order.
ChiMiniRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.17, 11:18 AM   #15
ChiMiniRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierro View Post
Hey!

Nice idea to get an open version for this.
Wouldn't a chassis compatibility column be usefull too?
With chassis it's build for and chassis you can use it on.

Also for the offset, mention on which chassis it is. (02/03 wide or 015/03narrow or AWD)
Agreed, knowing what chassis it was intended for helps. Especially since Kyosho's front offset is going to matter if the original was an mr-01 or mr-015 chassis. I believe one of the Ferrari 360's is like this where the front offset is something like +2 +3 but that's on a narrow chassis so it would be out of whack on an mr-02 or wide mr-03
ChiMiniRc is offline   Reply With Quote