Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > General Discussion > Parts and Hop-ups

Old 2016.11.25, 06:31 AM   #1
Evil_Sephiroth

Mini-Z Slower after Spur gear bearing istall.

I have an MA-020VE pro chassis.

The only bearing this chassis miss as OEM is a spur gear bearing

This one.

I bought a spur gear bearing BRG002 and istalled it in the rear part of the chassis, where the spur gear go to the differential.

After this my car is slower...when i release the throttle the braking affect is incredibly bigger.

Am i missing something? I can't feel the presence of grease on the bearing but have i to degrease it?
Evil_Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.11.26, 07:09 AM   #2
Mike Keely

Can you show a picture of the true bearing that you installed? I am wondering if it is a shielded bearing or a sealed bearing? You really do want it to be a shielded bearing with out grease in it. Put it on the shaft that it goes on and spin it. If it does not spin around a few revolutions free it has grease or dirt in it. If you have a PN bearing cleaner bottle you can put some motor spray in it to clean it out. If it is a sealed bearing you will want to get another bearing that is shielded. Hope this helps.
Old 2016.11.26, 07:19 AM   #3
Evil_Sephiroth

shield bearing.

i have already cleared it with isopropylic alchool and then a little lubrificant..

it's better now but still slower.
Old 2016.11.26, 08:06 AM   #4
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

When using alcohol to clean bearings it is best to use de-natured alcohol since it has no water in it like Isopropyl does.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.11.26, 08:13 AM   #5
Evil_Sephiroth

btw even after clearing really not even a single turn if i spin them, even with a little crc on them no spin..maybe i got a set of bad bearing..any idea of what i can buy?

Another set of kyosho? other one?
Old 2016.11.26, 03:32 PM   #6
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Unable to tell from the photo if the bearings are rubber shielded or metal. if they are rubber you can just pick the seal(s) out of it.
Old 2016.11.27, 04:14 AM   #7
Evil_Sephiroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
Unable to tell from the photo if the bearings are rubber shielded or metal. if they are rubber you can just pick the seal(s) out of it.
Metal.

Kyo-BRG002
Old 2016.11.27, 06:58 AM   #8
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

If the bearings are from Kyosho then it is highly unlikely that you could purchase anything that is in fact a better product so I don't think your issue is mechanical with the product. How long did you soak the bearings in the alcohol? If overnight then I would suggest something stronger like lacquer thinner for the same overnight period. Allow them to air dry(it won't take long if using thinner) then apply a semi liberal application of WD-40(or local equivalent but WD is the best) and again allow to air dry. That "should" do the trick. It is very difficult to spin up a bearing that size with just your fingers since it lacks mass so just make sure it is positioned and seated properly and test it out. To see how free it is you should remove the pinion gear so that you are not bringing the motor into the mix. With the pinion removed the car should roll like a "Hot Wheels" car.
Old 2016.11.27, 03:02 PM   #9
Evil_Sephiroth

Quote:
If the bearings are from Kyosho then it is highly unlikely that you could purchase anything that is in fact a better product so I don't think your issue is mechanical with the product. How long did you soak the bearings in the alcohol? If overnight then I would suggest something stronger like lacquer thinner for the same overnight period. Allow them to air dry(it won't take long if using thinner) then apply a semi liberal application of WD-40(or local equivalent but WD is the best) and again allow to air dry. That "should" do the trick. It is very difficult to spin up a bearing that size with just your fingers since it lacks mass so just make sure it is positioned and seated properly and test it out. To see how free it is you should remove the pinion gear so that you are not bringing the motor into the mix. With the pinion removed the car should roll like a "Hot Wheels" car.
It roll lesser then without bearing.

can it be a coupling problem?

Maybe with bearing istalled i have too much contact beetween spur gear and differential...

The problem is that the differentian don't have possibility to be relocated and it's really firm in it's slot
Old 2016.11.27, 04:23 PM   #10
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Clearances are something that needs to be checked at each step in the process. Does the bearing seat properly with the spur and so on until you reach the step where it starts to bind.
Old 2016.11.27, 05:22 PM   #11
Evil_Sephiroth

Quote:
Clearances are something that needs to be checked at each step in the process. Does the bearing seat properly with the spur and so on until you reach the step where it starts to bind.
Apparently yes.

if you just move the car with hand (even without pinion) you can feel more friction and the car is slower even when you use the engine...

the bearing is pretty tight on the spur gear and sit very well in the rear part of the chassis.

My only tought is that when you have all istalled: spur gear to main driveshaft, bearin in the bearing slot and chassis fully istalled you can have tension due to misalignment beetween spur and bearing...

but if this is the problem i don't know what to do...cause it can only be linked to a bearing slot badly done from kyosho

Last edited by Evil_Sephiroth; 2016.11.27 at 05:26 PM.
Old 2016.11.27, 08:33 PM   #12
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

How did everything work with the stock bushing? Is it in fact the correct bearing? I have no idea if the bearing is the same for an 020 as it is for the older 010. Does Kyosho have a technical support number where you are located? You can get a lot of great info here but waning interest for the last few years has thinned the knowledge pool.
Old 2016.11.28, 03:35 AM   #13
Evil_Sephiroth

Quote:
How did everything work with the stock bushing? Is it in fact the correct bearing? I have no idea if the bearing is the same for an 020 as it is for the older 010. Does Kyosho have a technical support number where you are located? You can get a lot of great info here but waning interest for the last few years has thinned the knowledge pool.

no support here...

Btw ma 020 ve arrive with full bearing..only where you see the bearing in the photo in first post here you have nothing..only an hole where spur reach rear diff.

The bearing is thw correct one..in mini z manual they write down the correct type of bearing
Old 2016.11.30, 05:06 PM   #14
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
What wheelbase is the chassis set to?

Does the spur slide easily into the bearing, or do you have to push hard to seat the bearing?

is the bearing aligned perpendicular to the shaft? Was there a bushing in the place of the bearing before you installed the bearing?
Old 2016.12.01, 03:49 AM   #15
Evil_Sephiroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
What wheelbase is the chassis set to?

Does the spur slide easily into the bearing, or do you have to push hard to seat the bearing?

is the bearing aligned perpendicular to the shaft? Was there a bushing in the place of the bearing before you installed the bearing?
Chassis ia set to 98 mm wheelbase

The spur is not to hard to push inside the bearing but i still Need to Press a Little to put it inside.

It's perpendicolare.

No bushing pre bearing, only an hole bigger then spur gear