Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2017.01.29, 12:28 AM   #16
Blf

Ok - so totally normal for all that play? The reflex white 64p spurs seems the loosest but the pn LSD are pretty loose as well
Blf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.29, 06:46 AM   #17
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

The Reflex spur's have very little cross section so the gear has less thickness or width than the dif balls do. You can actually make your own lightweight spurs minus the hokey LSD part with a piece of 200 grit sandpaper on a flat surface. Just sand the gears on both faces until all material other than the dif ball area has been removed. I have never found any loss of durability in the gears by doing this. If I am running anything other than a 70T I leave the gear a little thicker to absorb the torque increase.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.29, 04:20 PM   #18
yasuji
PN RacingTEAM Driver

Send a message via AIM to yasuji Send a message via Yahoo to yasuji
Quote:
Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
The Reflex spur's have very little cross section so the gear has less thickness or width than the dif balls do. You can actually make your own lightweight spurs minus the hokey LSD part with a piece of 200 grit sandpaper on a flat surface. Just sand the gears on both faces until all material other than the dif ball area has been removed. I have never found any loss of durability in the gears by doing this. If I am running anything other than a 70T I leave the gear a little thicker to absorb the torque increase.
Hokey LSD part?... Hahaha... PN LSD has been my go to spur since 2010 I wouldn't necessarily call is hokey....hahaha

Grant "Yasuji" Matsushima

PN Racing Team Driver
www.pnracing.com
gm@pnracing.com

yasuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.29, 06:12 PM   #19
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Grant, It's hokey in the sense that the every day driver wouldn't feel the benefit or any discernible difference between a standard 64p and an LSD 64p....at least that's the way I would read and understand that.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.29, 06:15 PM   #20
Blf

Today I tried a slightly thicker Tamiya silver 2mm e-clip, it cleans up a lot of the slop & does not seem to inhibit smooth, consistent diff operation ..... seems like a winner
Blf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.29, 06:52 PM   #21
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysir View Post
Grant, It's hokey in the sense that the every day driver wouldn't feel the benefit or any discernible difference between a standard 64p and an LSD 64p....at least that's the way I would read and understand that.
Well put Cowboy. Thanks. In truth I still run them in one class for the additional loss of rotating mass but I install it backwards so it can't lock. It has proven to be a very durable part.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.04.02, 08:54 PM   #22
yellowdog

I am also using the PN LSD spur gear and found that it is easy to get dust stick on diff ball and need to rebuild. The diff ball hole on this gear move outward on the spur gear and the diff disc can only cover half of diff ball. Is there any way to reduce dust from getting into the ball diff? Thanks.

Last edited by yellowdog; 2018.04.02 at 09:00 PM.
yellowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.06.25, 08:24 AM   #23
TPDazzle

It has been awhile for this thread. I just got one of these for the first time, and admit I am confused. Does the narrower opening point towards the front of the car? It seems I should be able to figure it out, but it gets turned around in my head. Also, here is the info from Kenon's site:

Option 1 Limited Slip holes 6 balls

Option 2 Regular ball holes 6 balls

Option 3 all 12 bllas installed. (Anyone know if this is Effective? Is there a reason to run 12 balls?)

Save grease V Grooves. (What does this mean?)

Thanks for the help sometimes PNs set up info is a bit cyptic.
TPDazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.06.25, 10:27 PM   #24
bobbyz

I run my PN LSD gear with the stamped gear# (52, 53, etc) facing out towards the wheel/tire as opposed to facing in towards the adjuster nut. I also run 6 balls in the oblong holes using Kyosho High Durability Diff Grease pt#KYO96510. This was the recommended method from PN when I built my first 64p ball diff. Hope this helps.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.06.27, 12:20 AM   #25
TPDazzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyz View Post
I run my PN LSD gear with the stamped gear# (52, 53, etc) facing out towards the wheel/tire as opposed to facing in towards the adjuster nut. I also run 6 balls in the oblong holes using Kyosho High Durability Diff Grease pt#KYO96510. This was the recommended method from PN when I built my first 64p ball diff. Hope this helps.
Thank you for the help Bobby, my other normal PN spurs are as you describe, and the numbers go out and the larger lip goes to the inside. This spur has no numbers (that I've found yet at least) and there is the same lip on both sides. I usually run my diffs dry, but I might give the diff grease you mentioned a try. We are hoping to run a long day on Sunday and finish up the last 2 tracks of HFAY.
TPDazzle is offline   Reply With Quote