Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2003.02.26, 11:11 PM   #1
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

F1 season at tom thumbs

with the arrival of a lap counter at the LHS and the miniF1 season looming around the corner, participants can look forward to having actual timed qualifying sessions and timed races. not to mention racing for points.

i'm hoping the push to have different track layouts per race session will come to pass so that lap times for each layout (or 'circuit') could be recorded. just like the real world.

as a self proclaimed product reviewer in the past, i might self proclaim myself as a race reporter. hope you all don't mind that i update each race and points earned over here (or perhaps in the clubs section) once the season begins. exciting days ahead i think.

later.
West.F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.02.26, 11:31 PM   #2
pianoman
www.mini-zracer.com/shop/

YEAH!!! I love race stories! Bring it on F1, bring it on...I only wish I was around to get in on that...y'all too far away!!!
Old 2003.02.27, 12:02 AM   #3
herman

cool idea west... bring on the reports... like pianoman, i like race stories too...

p.s. can you post some details on the lapcounter?
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.02.27, 07:32 AM   #4
Sm0lders
Mini-Z F1 Racer

Send a message via ICQ to Sm0lders
Vids too plz

...Hmm, should have gone with (a).
Sm0lders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.02.27, 08:15 AM   #5
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

Quote:
p.s. can you post some details on the lapcounter?
from what little i saw of it last weekend, it's a wooden bridge device with 6 lasers. there were some quirks with the pc program that needed to be worked out by the LHS owner so we didn't (or couldn't) use it at the time.

we're to meet this weekend and was been informed it should be up and running.

i'll be taking more pics and post them here probably saturday evening sometime
Old 2003.02.27, 06:53 PM   #6
mini-z
Administrator

West.F1, email me, we'll set up a full-on section for this under Tracks!
mini-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.02.27, 09:16 PM   #7
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

miniZ- you've got mail!

smolders- i do plan on getting a video card soon so i can use my (non) digital vidcam to post some highlights. initially though it'll just be digital camera shots.

(alsi, obviously we'll be holding sedan races too. not just F1. it'll be interesting trying to remember facts and be an active racer at the same time )

Last edited by West.F1; 2003.02.28 at 12:11 AM.
Old 2003.03.12, 12:27 AM   #8
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

OPEN PRACTICE BEGINS AT THE COLUMBUS GRAND PRIX CIRCUIT AT TOM THUMBS

McLaren's West.F1 tops the timesheets in open practice, but Latency earns podium finishes in preseason heats!:

with the newly installed timing system, the opening rounds of open practice for the F1s began at tom thumb in Columbus, Ohio. Preseason practice got underway with only three teams taking to the track engaging in free testing time. Toyota's Cory Kennedy was first to take to the circuit followed by Team Latency driving the Jordan Honda and WestF1 with the McLaren.

Tire testing was the main agenda for the afternoon for both Toyota and Mclaren in prep for the first preseason races. Toyota's driver CK opted to use foam compounds throughout the entire session utilizing the tires grip advantage in light of his Xspeed powered F1. From the onset CK encountered oversteer problems evidenced by going off course a few times striking the barrier walls unexpectedly. Fortunately there was no serious damage incurred to the car as CK continued to make his way around the circuit collecting as much data as he could and posting a best time of 8.6+

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...a/fc846a2a.jpg

(CK's Toyota clad with foams all around)

Fairly new to F1, driver Latency in his stock trim Jordan Honda made his way around the circuit without serious event as he continued efforts on getting used to the car and it's handling characteristics. in the end he posted a respectable 8.2+

Team McLaren, powered by a stock kyosho motor, also worked on a tire program with West.F1 initally opting to use stock grooved tires all around. After suffering with some oversteer problems as well, a decision was made to switch the rear tires to slicks. this turned out to be a good decision as West.F1 put his mclaren on top of the timesheets with an 8.10

Free Practice Results

1. West.F1/McLaren... 8.1
2. Latency/Jordan...... 8.2
3. CK/ Toyota............. 8.6

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...b/fc8468fd.jpg

(cars parked as the timer is prepped for open practice)

as time ran out in open practice, the teams pitted to make some last minute adjustments in prep for the pre-season races that was scheduled to follow. In efforts to test the newly installed timing system, two non points heats were run with the F1s. A few red flag situations occured initially as the timer failed to time the laps but were easily worked out. anticipation rose as the drivers were anxious to start the races and test their set ups.

First Heat- Heat one started off well for McLaren's West.F1 as he was able to get the hole shot and taking the lead initially. This was short lived as problems controlling the car resulted in striking a barrier allowing Jordans Latency to pass by early in the race. Continued problems with steering made it difficult to catch latency who finished the first heat in first. McLaren second with CKs toyota a DNF.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...d/fc846c75.jpg

(lining up for heat 2)

Second Heat- Heat two started off in similar fashion as the first with McLaren's West.F1 taking the lead early. Unlike the first heat, it was Latency who ended striking the barriers multiple times early in the race. Team toyota continued to suffer oversteer as before throughout the race. It seemed an easy win for team mclaren as West.F1 was increasing his lead by each successive laps being up to 5 seconds ahead. Roughly half a lap distance. In the last 2 minutes of the race however, WestF1 unexpectadly strikes a barrier. On top of this electronic problems delayed recovering the vehicle which resulted in cutting his lead to under 2 seconds. Latency's determined drive slowly shortened the lead even more as West.F1 struggled to fight for control hoping the time would run out before his Jordan rival would catch up. As the last minutes of the heat came around it seemed a very close race as Latency was able to narrow the lead down to less than a second (0.8, then 0.5, then 0.3) During the last few closing laps, West.F1 makes a critical error and once again strikes a barrier allowing latency to pass and eventually winning heat 2. West.F1 coming in second and Team toyota third (3 laps down).

Pre-Season Practice Heats

Heat I- 1st)Latency/Jordan Honda
2nd) WestF1/McLaren
DNF) CK/ toyota
Heat II- 1st) Latency/Jordan Honda
2nd) WestF1/McLaren
3rd) CK/toyota (-3)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...9/fc846c6a.jpg

(early problems in the second heat didn't deny latency of a top podium finish)

Last edited by West.F1; 2003.03.12 at 08:26 AM.
Old 2003.03.12, 03:11 AM   #9
Sm0lders
Mini-Z F1 Racer

Send a message via ICQ to Sm0lders
hehe kewl race

...Hmm, should have gone with (a).
Sm0lders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.03.12, 08:41 AM   #10
mini-z
Administrator

Nice commentary West.F1! Let's get that Race section going, let me know when you have time to work on it!
mini-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.03.12, 05:15 PM   #11
latency
Mini-Z Race Junkie

Send a message via AIM to latency
Talking That is very cool!

Good stuff WestF1! You forgot the part about racers dripping in sweat during the 4 minute mains! hehe.

The races were very close in the F1 series, and were very fun. The F1's really make you drive the perfect line when on the pvc track, as it takes just one bump to spear the nose under the barriers and get stuck!

Btw, my foot made the first pic! WHOOHooo

I am easily amused..

Hopefully we will be able to run more races this weekend and get more heats in!
BMW M3 GTR MR02 PNRacing Speedy powered
Corvette C5R MR01 PNRacing Speedy powered
Cup Car conversion ChaserRC Stock Modified powered

KoPropo Helios 10EX
latency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.03.14, 11:44 PM   #12
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

tomorrow i'm hoping we have a good show with both the F1s and the sedans.

with the GT class in the mix, i think i'll just include results with lap times and less commentary. otherwise i'll end up writing two pages worth.
Old 2003.03.15, 12:03 AM   #13
Digisane
Mini-z Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally posted by West.F1
tomorrow i'm hoping we have a good show with both the F1s and the sedans.

with the GT class in the mix, i think i'll just include results with lap times and less commentary. otherwise i'll end up writing two pages worth.
F1s are gonna beat them up (not taking into account driver error) unless you have 2 classes in one race, so there is a winner for each class.

Even if there are collisions in between the 2, the F1s are gonna win too!

F1 hits Racers from behind = Racers flip
Racers hit F1s from behind = Racers flip

The only advatage with the Racers is that they won't spear under the pipes like the F1s

How i know this? Read my sig below

Last edited by Digisane; 2003.03.15 at 12:08 AM.
Digisane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.03.15, 11:12 AM   #14
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

sorry digisane. i meant mixing in additional time results in my post which would result in a much longer article. there are separate races for each class so F1s won't be running with the sedans.

it'll be interesting to see how they compare overall on this next go round just the same. i could have done it last time but didn't have all the results available to me.

today is another open practice/race day for both categories and
i'll be posting the results for both GT and F1 classes this evening.

stay tuned...
Old 2003.03.17, 11:10 PM   #15
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

race report has been entered in the Events forum:

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showth...&threadid=7524