Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2019.10.24, 11:31 PM   #1
TPDazzle

EasyLap Dropped laps

Hi all,

In the Tri-Cities we use the EasyLap timing system and transponders. We have the bridge about 18-20 inches off the track, (EasyLap recommends 50cm to 1 m). We are using 3 sensors on the bridge. The sensors are the recommended distance apart. The cables between the sensors are all at a set length by EasyLap. The system worked great for a long time. Lately we have been having trouble with dropped laps here and there. It is super frustrating. It doesn't happen on cars with a clear Lexan window, but not all the bodies we run have lexan windows available. It should be able to work with a stock Kyosho body, and it used to. It is fine on some of the stock bodies, but not others.

We have tried bypassing the plug on the ASF boards to make sure the transponders were getting enough power, and it did not make a difference. I am tempted to lower the bridge and possibly add the fourth sensor to the bridge and put them closer together. Anyone have thoughts on trouble shooting this?
TPDazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.10.25, 06:22 AM   #2
mtse0

I am guessing this is an intermittent problem which are hard to solve. Have you tried holding one of the problem cars under the sensors and moving it left to right to see if you can find a gap in coverage?
Our timing loop is also close to 20 inches from the track and I have all 4 sensors on it and do not seem to have a problem, but it sounds like you have been operating for a while with the 3 sensors and a problem has just now popped up.
The last problem we had was with the new corvette bodies, the windshield sits a little further back than most cars so we were getting spotty coverage until we moved the transponder to a better location.
In other words, I have no idea how to fix the problem you are having. Just brainstorming.
mtse0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.10.25, 07:17 AM   #3
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Also, are there any changes in the chassis being used and experiencing problems? You could also look to narrow down if it is specific cars vs. bodies.
I know I’m having issues with I-Lap clone transponders with mostly brushless cars as they are not providing same constant power and transponder occasionally drops laps.
I know this issue is frustrating as I go through it myself. Nothing worse than having a timing system that is not reliable. In my experience with other Easy Lap systems, there seems to be a significant delay in detection audible notification which also creates an uncomfortable unease. With I-Lap, the audible tone is immediate so you know right away if your car did not count. This creates a scenario in which you must have faith in the system and find out the system is not accurate which leads to frustration and lots of time spent trying to troubleshoot something that should be plug and play simple.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.10.25, 01:11 PM   #4
SuperFly
bitPimp

This may sound obvious, but I've solved more than one transponder problem this way: make sure the IR part of the transponder is clearly under the windshield. The windshield position can vary quite a bit from body to body, and if you just stick the transponder in your "usual" spot on the chassis, it might be under the hood of the body just a bit

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote