Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2005.02.04, 01:16 PM   #1
ruknd@aol.com
fast and out of control

Send a message via AIM to ruknd@aol.com
HPI Micro Chassis Question...

I'm not liking the HPI chassis at all...and I was looking to upgrade...any idea as to what I should get? the new Ratzas seems the most to my liking right now but I was wondering what every one else has or likes.
ruknd@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.02.04, 01:52 PM   #2
Mondo
Mini-Zedologist - Fear me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruknd@aol.com
I'm not liking the HPI chassis at all...and I was looking to upgrade...any idea as to what I should get? the new Ratzas seems the most to my liking right now but I was wondering what every one else has or likes.
To be quite honest, that's all been discussed on this 57 page Thread

Answers can also be found on MZR's sister site YourMicro.com

It's pointless opening another Micro RS4 discussion on MZR when this subject has already been covered in depth and there's a sister site dedicated to Micro scale RC

The UberMod is back in town...

Last edited by Mondo; 2005.02.04 at 01:54 PM.
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.02.04, 02:02 PM   #3
ruknd@aol.com
fast and out of control

Yeah well that thread's last post is pushing two years old and I'm not a member of yourmicro.com so I can't post and participate (and I am comfortable with the people here anyways)...so...if anyone has input instead of flames it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 2005.02.04, 02:22 PM   #4
ruf
4play

Trash it and get an Xray M18.
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube
ruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.02.04, 02:41 PM   #5
ruknd@aol.com
fast and out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruf
Trash it and get an Xray M18.
really...even with an upgrade chassis? I've got a bunch into the HPI already...hmmmm....anyone care to trade? lol.
Old 2005.02.04, 05:21 PM   #6
Mondo

Micro RS4 Chassis

No flames...

I have two Micro RS4s running, one under contruction and a (Brushless) XRay M18.

Penguin Chassis

By far the most preferred chassis of YourMicro.com members
Brion Sohn of Penguin RC has to be one of the nicest guys in RC. He always adds input to Memebers' Threads and listens to what Members demand from a chassis

The Penguin P3500 series chassis are carbon and they use a roll plate rear suspension geometry. Various roll plates are available in soft, medium and hard.
They can be configured to 140mm or 150mm wheelbase
The P3500LM is a pan chassis. I use one on Micro #1 with the P3501VM (vertical servo mount) upper deck.
The P3500 is the narrow version. The 3500s come with VCS rear shock compatible rear decks.

The new(ish) P3500el is the entry level G10 fibre glass version with a non adjustable rear end. Very popular and progressive for its price.
It is sold as a base chassis and the upper/rear decks are sold seperately

All 3500 series chassis support the optional centre battery plate and servo mount made by Penguin RC. (I use the battery mounts on both Micros #1 and #2 and the servo mount on Micro #1)
The P3500LM and P3500el support Penguin's saddle pack configuration and bullet configuration

ARM Pan Chassis

Unfortunately ARm have closed but they manufactured the ARM Pan which is a fibre glass 150mm only chassis. This was a very popular chassis with YourMicro Members and offered fantastic performance for $15.
My still incomplete Micro #3 uses one. I had mine drilled and countersunk to support 140/150mm wheelbase
The ARM was just a base Pan chassis, no upper/rear decks included

IPD 140 Chassis

This is also discontinued but very popular and hard to find. It is a CF 140mm only pan chassis as a full lower/upper/rear deck set
If you are lucky enough to find one for sale you'll pay a premium for it, they still don't come cheap, even second hand.

Ratzas

When I first joined YourMicro the Ratzas was quite popular but a few Members reported that the rear suspension plate (where the motor pod lives) was breaking under race conditions.
Ratzas played this down to misuse and bad driving
When the Ratzas Extreme (tweakable) was released it was by far the most progressive Micro chassis money could buy.. until the Penguin chassis waddled on to the Micro scene.
We rarely ever hear from Ratzas on YourMicro and they are not as popular as they used to be.

Team Orion CF Chassis

140 or 150mm narrow carbon chassis. I owned one. Avoid it..

Lastly, the M18. The composite plastic chassis left a lot to be desired for Brushless applicatrions. I like the M18, it's great. Mine consists of 85% hop ups.
Out of the box the M18 is a more progressive and modern design than the Micro RS4. It has independant suspension all round and a shaft drive.
There are limitations to the design like battery/electronics placement etc..
however in the right hands a good Micro RS4 is more than capable of winning in a race as the 2004 SoCal Micro Class results clearly demonstrated

Some photos are attached for reference purposes. All the cars in photos are mine excluding the IPD chassis which was borrowed from a YourMicro Thread
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IPD 140.jpg (68.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Micro P3500LM (5).JPG (465.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg P3500 narrow.JPG (236.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg M18 Assembled Reduced size.JPG (288.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg TO_Chassis.JPG (91.5 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Mondo; 2005.02.05 at 03:59 AM.
Old 2005.02.06, 11:28 AM   #7
cam2
cop magnet :(

Send a message via AIM to cam2
ruknd check out ebay item 5955183542 and 5955183386. i just bought the 3500rs yesterday.

nice micros mondo do you prefer the m18 over the rs4?
Old 2005.02.06, 12:59 PM   #8
Mondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam2
nice micros mondo do you prefer the m18 over the rs4?
Thanks

No comparison. The M18 is Brushless, so performance wise it's awesome
The handling on a Penguin equipped Micro is just as good as the M18.
To be honest I have no preferance, I like all my Micro scale RCs

Old 2005.02.06, 11:18 PM   #9
herman

cool collection mondo...

me got both...

both got speed 300 in them...

me like m18 better...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.02.07, 11:56 AM   #10
ruknd@aol.com
fast and out of control

mondo...i really appreciate your time...that's exactally what I was looking for. Thanks. Oh, and nice collection!

I see you have the mamba...i've read great reviews about it. Question, can I turn it dowm and up on a track or do i need to use teh computer interface?
Old 2005.02.07, 02:26 PM   #11
Mondo

Quote:
mondo...i really appreciate your time...that's exactally what I was looking for. Thanks. Oh, and nice collection!
My pleasure
As for the collection, thanks for the compliments guys

Quote:
I see you have the mamba...i've read great reviews about it. Question, can I turn it dowm and up on a track or do i need to use teh computer interface?
Not all Mambas are equal. I have a 6800 kV in the M18 and it's fast, in fact too damned fast. I turned the motor timing right down to make it controllable.
The 5400 kV is the best bet for most applications, I have one awaiting installation in my RC18T.
The Mamba "extreme" 8000 Kv is madness. Many YM Members use them and say it's great for street bashing/drifting but it's uncontrolable on the track.
The 8000 kV also has less torque than the 5400/6800

The Mamba25's "MambaLink" is the easiest way to program the ESC.
A review on the MambaLink setup can be found here but you have to be a YourMicro Member to see the screenshots.
The button driven setup on the ESC is an absoloute nightmare. If you own or have easy access to a laptop then spend the money and use the MambaLink cable/software method.
You can fine tune the acceleration curve and eliminate the "cogging" issues that can occur when running sensorless Brushless motors.

It's also quite an attention grabber in the pits when you're at the track. Not many people grasp the concept of fine tuning such a small car via a Laptop's USB port - until they see a Mamba powered Micro scale RC in action.

Last edited by Mondo; 2005.02.07 at 02:28 PM.
Old 2005.02.07, 08:44 PM   #12
herman

hi mondo...

does mamba esc offer reverse?

thanks...

doh... just looked at your link... guess it does...

Last edited by herman; 2005.02.07 at 08:56 PM.
herman is offline   Reply With Quote