Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2003.02.18, 12:06 AM   #1
Digisane
Mini-z Crash Test Dummy

Question NSX Front suspension flaw

I realised that under load, the front suspension wheels in my 2002 NSX would go deeep into the wheel wells and hit the plastic causing friction. If the steering are turned all the way, it doesn't need to go that far in to hit the insides, probably just 2 mm of travel or so.

I thought of using a soft spring for the front but decided aginst it when I found out about this flaw. The stock suspension doesn't seem to compress much at all, but in a tight turn, if it does compress even just a bit it'll drag and probably cause spin outs on the car. Perhaps this is the cause of some of my unexpected spinouts.

I've made a bump stop from a pair of bushings & washers from my old Tamiya mini 4WD kit and putting it on top of the steering knuckles to prevent this from happening. Probably if I find any more washers, I'll add it in to prevent excess travel then try out soft springs to see if it'll make the handling nicer.

Anyone realised this, and if so I'd like to hear about your solutions. Thanks.
Old 2003.02.18, 12:09 AM   #2
Tango
Like this?!

Send a message via ICQ to Tango
Pick a photo of my NSX 2002 & my car tonite and you'll find the solutions.
Old 2003.02.18, 02:05 AM   #3
herman

yep you got that right... most of the guys put tamiya mini 4wd flat washers on top of the sabilizer bar, limiting wheel travel, so that the front wheels won't touch the bodies under the fender area during compression... one to three washers (1mm thick) usually do the trick...

you'll have to dremel some part of the headlights also... the tires usually rub against the sharp corner in the headlight molding under the hood when you turn... hope this helps...

Last edited by herman; 2003.02.18 at 02:10 AM.
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.02.18, 02:54 AM   #4
ChaserRC

some more tips about it..

1. modify the front mount
2. re-locate the L-mount
3. use a thinner tires..
4. sand the front part of the body
ChaserRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.02.18, 04:23 AM   #5
Digisane
Mini-z Crash Test Dummy

Post Thanks..

Heven't tried the sanding / dremel method yet, but with all that bump stop, my wheel travel length is now probably 1.2 mm.... is that to scale of the real NSX

Oh well.. since the front wheels pickup on a turn I'll have to work on a stiffer back end now too..

BTW, any cheap, temporary solution for a more stable steering? There's too much freeplay (about as much as 3-4mm) on mine..

-----------------

Quote:
Originally posted by herman
yep you got that right... most of the guys put tamiya mini 4wd flat washers on top of the sabilizer bar, limiting wheel travel, so that the front wheels won't touch the bodies under the fender area during compression... one to three washers (1mm thick) usually do the trick... ---- hope this helps...
Old 2003.02.18, 10:27 AM   #6
Tango
Like this?!

Got some photos:

http://www.pbase.com/imstango/modifiednsx

And, updated some photos in the "all about my R/C cars"
Old 2003.02.18, 10:35 AM   #7
Cian
All Your Base

Send a message via Yahoo to Cian
I use standard offset wheels, to allow a fair bit of compression, and to minimiZe the effect of glitching. I found that a soft setup at the front suits me better, and the wheels dont't swing about as much as with wide offset front wheels.
Old 2003.02.18, 07:19 PM   #8
Digisane
Mini-z Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally posted by Tango
Got some photos:

http://www.pbase.com/imstango/modifiednsx

And, updated some photos in the "all about my R/C cars"

Everyone else who'd replied,

Thanks for the tips. I'll get to it and see how it works out, and post my results & solutions here.

At the moment limiting the travel seemed to do the trick, although I haven't actually tested it out yet, so I don't know what effect that has on the car on track.

Also, working on another way to dampen the back end. A thick sponge stuck into the body at the location where the motor mount comes into contact seems to do the trick, although I don't know how long this would last.

Tango,

Thanks for the photos! I'll see what I can do with my car starting with minimal changes.. Also a great collection of setup & cars you've got there.

Your tires, did you cut the threads in yourself or did you buy them that way? Can't wait to detail my own car body.
Old 2003.02.18, 09:18 PM   #9
Tango
Like this?!

The threads are DIY...