Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2006.05.31, 05:21 PM   #1
matrix

Is Alloy motor mount better than stock?

Hi,

I have a 02 MM and running stock motor mount. Is the Alloy motor mount much better than stock? What does it really gain with alloy mount installed?
If yes, can someone tell me which is a good one with reasonable price?

Thanks.
matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.05.31, 08:16 PM   #2
LBRC

Performance improvements? Not really, the best that could probably be said on that point is that an aluminum aftermarket mount could, not necessarily will, act as a heat sink and thereby help keep the motor cooler.

On the other hand aside from the obvious coolness factor, there can be accessibility and versatility improvements.

For example Atomic, PN Racing, and 3Racing all have motor mounts that will allow you to put 94mm wheelbase bodies on your MR-02 while still keeping the motor in a mid-mount configuration. And mounts that use motors with pre-drilled cans let you screw the front of the motor directly to the motor mount eliminating shims and other extra bits and pieces for quick and easy adjustments when changing pinion and spur gear sizes, these mounts can be a hair lighter than stock and are very convenient, that is as long as you don’t push the pinion too tight against the differential spur gear, the problem with adjustability is that it’s only an improvement if the person doing the adjustments doesn’t mess up.

Most of my mounts are the PN Racing Modified type and although I like them it doesn’t mean that I think they are any better or worse than one of the equivalent Atomic's, they are just what were readily available at the time I bought them.

Out of curiosity yesterday I ordered a new 3Racing MM mount from the shop here. Hard to have a real opinion about it until it arrives and I can try it out but my guess is that the advantages are low cost and versatility, while the big disadvantage is that it doesn’t use a standard H-plate so there are limited stiffness options and if you break it, which you likely will, you are stuck trying to find a replacement. On the other hand if you happen to have a mill and a friend with a laser that’s not much of a disadvantage.
Old 2006.06.01, 12:19 AM   #3
briankstan

In my opinion the best part is getting the mesh between the pinion and the spur gear correct, and that makes them both last longer.
Old 2006.06.01, 11:38 AM   #4
bolter9
How're YOU doin?

Send a message via Yahoo to bolter9
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankstan
In my opinion the best part is getting the mesh between the pinion and the spur gear correct, and that makes them both last longer.
yep, and I would consider that a "performance improvement"- you're going to get more efficient power to your wheels if the mesh is set properly.

My Gallery
bolter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.06.01, 02:13 PM   #5
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
plus there is nothing like a car zipping around at a wisper it's very pronounced when you run against some stock cars that sound like they are chewing rocks
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.06.01, 06:00 PM   #6
LBRC

Seems to me that the factory preset gear alignment is pretty good on most of the newer ready and/or chassis sets. It’s been along time since I’ve run into a stock motor mount that didn’t have near perfect alignment, when assembled correctly that is. Although now that I think about it it’s also been along time since I’ve run one without swaping out the stock differential and adding ball bearings which could make a difference. Of course if someone did have a bad mount that would be the ideal excuse to get an aftermarket aluminum one.

But even with less than stock gears a stock motor mount can (not will) have perfect alignment, for example I still have a stock mount in my Tagu 1/24 conversion even though it’s using a 41 tooth spur gear with an 8 tooth pinion, with the stock 6 tooth pinion setup it’s absolutely perfect.

Old 2006.06.10, 01:11 AM   #7
LBRC

The 3Racing motor mount I mentioned above arrived and after a few laps around the track I thought I should state my opinion, the below photo will explain most of it far better than I could write it, am also not thrilled with it’s gear range, if you ever plan on using something larger than an 8 tooth pinion this is not the mount for you. The 3Racing disk damper I ordered at the same time on the other hand is terrific at a great price.

Also I have to revise the above statement I made about a stock motor mount pinion spacing usually being ok. I’m sitting here looking at a brand new MM MR-02 right out of the box that had a pinion to spur gear spacing that was undeniably too tight, which I guess means that at least for this car a correctly adjusted aftermarket motor mount would definitely have been an improvement. Although all that it took to fix the stock mounts alignment/spacing problem was a few passes of a file to the chassis side of the motor holders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3racing mount.jpg (36.2 KB, 56 views)