Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2013.12.17, 12:53 PM   #1
BrothaJINC

mr-01 worth getting?

hi new to the forum, and was wondering if the mr-01 was worth getting. i can get it for $80 with some extra parts. or should i save and get a mr-03s? Not going to be racing just having fun
BrothaJINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.17, 01:16 PM   #2
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
save for an mr-03. if you break the parts on an mr-01, they are not easy to find anymore and it does not have a servo saver.

i would recommend an mr-02 however with the EX discontinued, your not going to see those made anymore either.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.17, 01:24 PM   #3
BrothaJINC

thanks for the relpy. would it be cheaper to build a mr-03 or buy a ready set?
Old 2013.12.17, 01:31 PM   #4
arch2b

depends on where you buy the parts. best price will be picking up someone's mr-03 for sale. check the marketplace here or ebay. check various shops for sales as well. there may be stuff on sale here and or other sites.
Old 2013.12.17, 01:36 PM   #5
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Considering what you have in hand as opposed to what you need the ready set may be the most economical way to go. You can likely find a racer with a decent beginner package that includes a car. Probably an MR-02 2.4 with some hop ups. A radio. Anything from a base model KT-18 up thru a KO Euros. And some spare parts with a battery charger and some practice batteries from say about $150 and up depending on the radio. The 02 is still competitive in competition and the electronics can be easily upgraded to 03 specs to eliminate the somewhat bothersome reverse delay. If you are just bashing and not competing the slight delay shouldn't even be a concern.

Check out your local Hobby Shop to see if they host any racing. Hang out and watch. meet some of the people and see what they have available for sale. The nice thing about this approach is you are nose to nose with the seller and can see what he has as opposed to the old "pay your nickel and take your chance".
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.17, 01:38 PM   #6
arch2b

just be mindful mr-01 have long since been discontinued. the mr-02 has only recently been discontinued.
Old 2013.12.17, 01:59 PM   #7
BrothaJINC

thanks for the help guys.. i looked at the market place and found a couple..
AM Mr-015 Chassis set for $65
MR-02ex chassis for $89
Mini Z MR-02 with nascar conversion for $70 shipped( This car will come with its own computerized Futaba 2PL AM transmitter) does that mean it have the remote controll?

and then on the other two how much would a remote cost?
thanks for all the help guys really appreciate it
Old 2013.12.17, 06:06 PM   #8
DMALMAD

Stay away from the mr-015, the 02 nascar does come with a radio but it isn't 2.4 ghz so I would stay away from that too. A radio like the basic kt 18 is probably like 90 new and 60 used. The Ko eurus which is probably the best is 380 new and like 300 used but would need to get a mini-z module which is like 65. The best would be a ko propo helios or ex-1UR which can be picked on ebay for 70-100 bucks depending, those still would need the module. The eurus uses a 902 module while the helios and 1ur use the 901. Another option is the 5ur but i haven't seen many for sale used but are around 180 new and it is in between the helios and the kt18. If money is no option the ko propo ex 1 kiy is the most expensive but doesn't us a module, it has the best features but can be fragile and has some known issues.
DMALMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.18, 03:42 AM   #9
herman

welcome to the forums… if you are just starting out, i think you would be better off purchasing a mr02ex (ready kit - comes with a body chassis and controller) or the mr03 sport, which is also a ready kit... other options, as mentioned earlier are also good i.e. going to a track and find a good second hand kit...

good luck and enjoy the hobby
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.18, 08:25 AM   #10
Sammich

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMALMAD View Post
Stay away from the mr-015, the 02 nascar does come with a radio but it isn't 2.4 ghz so I would stay away from that too. A radio like the basic kt 18 is probably like 90 new and 60 used. The Ko eurus which is probably the best is 380 new and like 300 used but would need to get a mini-z module which is like 65. The best would be a ko propo helios or ex-1UR which can be picked on ebay for 70-100 bucks depending, those still would need the module. The eurus uses a 902 module while the helios and 1ur use the 901. Another option is the 5ur but i haven't seen many for sale used but are around 180 new and it is in between the helios and the kt18. If money is no option the ko propo ex 1 kiy is the most expensive but doesn't us a module, it has the best features but can be fragile and has some known issues.
Private message hrdrvr i think his SN is here..he has a 5ur for sale at his shop...or you can look up let's go racing on f******k and message him there

Quote:
drunk driving is not cool, unless it's with Mini-Z's.

Last edited by mleemor60; 2013.12.18 at 09:20 AM.
Sammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.18, 10:05 AM   #11
imxlr8ed

If I was starting out, I'd go 2.4 right away. Actually, I'd probably wait until Kyosho figures out this whole FHS vs. ASF thing. For some reason it seems that they are going FHS and if that is the case, the whole expensive radio issue may dissolve.

The KT-18s are fun to throw, kinda like a boomerang that doesn't come back.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.18, 11:22 AM   #12
BrothaJINC

thanks for all the info guys. I think im gunna try and buy one of mini-me-zee nascar ready sets for $70. i messaged him but no reply yet. And if i really like it ill get the new ma-020. Just don't know how much it going to get used but ill probably love it
Old 2013.12.19, 12:15 PM   #13
imxlr8ed

Get your practice in before February for the Ice Melter... that is, if they are having it again in '14:

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38486

Also, check with briankstan on here, maybe he has something for sale too. You're kinda local to that area (as local as people can be in those wide-open expanses ).

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.19, 12:20 PM   #14
briankstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrothaJINC View Post
thanks for all the info guys. I think im gunna try and buy one of mini-me-zee nascar ready sets for $70. i messaged him but no reply yet. And if i really like it ill get the new ma-020. Just don't know how much it going to get used but ill probably love it
I know some guys that live in Pueblo, Colorado that race mini-z's it's not that far from you go go race with them.
Old 2013.12.19, 12:26 PM   #15
briankstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxlr8ed View Post
Get your practice in before February for the Ice Melter... that is, if they are having it again in '14:

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38486

Also, check with briankstan on here, maybe he has something for sale too. You're kinda local to that area (as local as people can be in those wide-open expanses ).

yea, there is going to be an ice melter 2014, I have the flyer but the entry forms aren't finished yet.

it' will be in Riverton, Wyoming February 15-16 with a practice on the 14th.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ice Melter 2014 Flyer.jpg (121.2 KB, 54 views)