Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2010.01.24, 03:19 AM   #1
marcored78

02m rear suspension

Hi everybody. I'm trying to modify the rear suspension of my Iwaver 02m because the stock one seems to be too stiff and i'd like to improve its performance. I have read in another thread many of you try different soulutions about it. Someone changes motorstay places, other tried to change like the kyosho mr02 type. I'd like to have some suggestion and, if you can, post your pics, please. Thank you ebverybody i wait for your ideas!!!
marcored78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.01.24, 02:15 PM   #2
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcored78 View Post
Hi everybody. I'm trying to modify the rear suspension of my Iwaver 02m because the stock one seems to be too stiff and i'd like to improve its performance. I have read in another thread many of you try different soulutions about it. Someone changes motorstay places, other tried to change like the kyosho mr02 type. I'd like to have some suggestion and, if you can, post your pics, please. Thank you ebverybody i wait for your ideas!!!
If the rear is too stiff you want to get a softer T-plate. I'd recommend any of the carbon fiber ones by a major brand. Getting a set is the best way to go because you can try the different stiffnesses.

Are you still running the stock top shock? Are you running the stock motor mount?
Old 2010.01.24, 02:19 PM   #3
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Jeremy, the 02M is a completely different chassis than the MR02...

Look for topics posted by cherub1m, he did a complete overhaul on the chassis. In the end, it was too much work, and more money than a Mini-Z. Take that in mind if you plan to build up the project...
Old 2010.01.24, 05:46 PM   #4
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
Eugene,

I saw that picture before your text and I thought to my self "What the %@!# is that thing!!"

Yikes, that is crazy.
Old 2010.01.24, 05:59 PM   #5
EMU
EMUracing

Iwaver used to make Mini-Z clones, starting off with an MR01 clone, then eventually made an MR02 clone. The biggest issue was electronics, they were far inferior to the KO Propo units used in Mini-Z, they also used cheaper plastic which was not as durable...

This was their own design, and it wasnt a poor design, but not a great one either. Needless to say, they never really worked out the electronics much more than when they were making clones. Sales suffered, and I thought they were discontinued... I have one, but only used it once or twice. The biggest issue was steering not returning to center, and tweaking out of every corner. I didnt want to waste my time rebuilding the entire with new electronics (would be over $200 just for the eletronics), so it is in storage

Last edited by EMU; 2010.01.24 at 07:51 PM.
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.01.24, 07:03 PM   #6
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

Quote:
Iwaver used to make Mini-Z clones, starting off with an MR01 clone, then eventually made an MR02 clone. The biggest issue was electronics, they were far superior to the KO Propo units used in Mini-Z
Eugene, I assume you meant 'inferior'?

Now that I know what I know; I wouldn't even mess around with the AM mini-z's. They really are just a distraction. Get ASF and go from there.

Um, I guess that has nothing to do with I-waver; but that is my commentary.
Old 2010.01.24, 07:52 PM   #7
EMU
EMUracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyC View Post
Eugene, I assume you meant 'inferior'?

Now that I know what I know; I wouldn't even mess around with the AM mini-z's. They really are just a distraction. Get ASF and go from there.

Um, I guess that has nothing to do with I-waver; but that is my commentary.
Read what I mean, not what I write

Yea, what he said
Old 2010.01.25, 01:22 PM   #8
marcored78

Quote:

Look for topics posted by cherub1m, he did a complete overhaul on the chassis. In the end, it was too much work, and more money than a Mini-Z. Take that in mind if you plan to build up the project...
i'm running with alu motor mount and carbon fiber chassis. Main problems are:
1. motor mount has not the same dimension of the PCB cover, so the shocks can't be fixed well with their screws.
2. I have seen some modifications of cherub1n and others (redteam) that cut off the end part of the chassis and used then a t plate like mr02.
I would like to know if anyone made this work and if have pictures of that. I'm thinking of improving my 02m performances.
Sorry if my english is bad or not clear enough, I'm italian!!
Old 2010.01.29, 04:03 PM   #9
wildthing
RC addict

hi marcored78,

I use iwaver 02m for my rentals. the main culprit of your problem is the the aluminum motor mount.

if you use the aluminum motor mount holder instead of the stock plastic, the fitment is not very good so the suspension would not work at all... like having a stiff suspension.

two possible options:
1) use the stock plastic motor mount holder.
2) grind off a bit of the protruding aluminum in the motor mount so that it will fit the aluminum motor mount holder.

the option of cutting-off the rear and adding a T-plate and mini Z motor mount will only be very expensive project... you will also have to replace the PCB cover because the mini Z suspension will also have a different possition.

it will be a very tedious conversion and to make it accurate will require you more money to make one... I wouldn't go on the route.
wildthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.01.30, 07:03 AM   #10
marcored78

thanks wildthing. I'll try to see that. I have been busy these days so i could not test anything. I will try something, as u told me, and I wll post my result.
Old 2010.02.03, 06:41 AM   #11
zenkinsw

Hi,

If running on RCP track, and don't want to spend too much dollar/time to modify, please try the following:

1. Use standard plastic chassis, the Graphite chassis is way too stiff.

2. Use plastic rear pod mount (small one) for front and rear to hold the motor pod, the plastic mount is more forgiven and minimize binding.

3. If aluminum damper in use, do not tighten the screws at all, leave appox 1-2mm lenght of screw threads, both top and bottom, run standard black or silver springs.

4. Ofcourse, Ball Diff..

If correct tires in use, the car should be stable and easy to drive, might understeer on high speed corners, but at least, is better than standard.
zenkinsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.08, 10:55 AM   #12
marcored78

thanks a lot i'll try that!! if i will make some other changes i will write down on this thread.