Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Tracks and GTGs > New York Mini-Z Racing

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2011.02.15, 11:50 AM   #31
hpotter

Again only my little opininon on which way to start--I'd rather start the same way in the qualifiers as the main especially with non local drivers with whom we do not race together on a regular basis just for the simple reason of getting used to how they react to a "gunshot start" and I would think drivers who are not used to that type of start would also want the same opportunity. As for pileing up, again its simple common sense, not that everyone has it...if your worried about it in the qualifier how are you going to be in the Main? I agree qualifying is to get your laps in the fastest time possible but lets be realistic there are other cars on the track and "racing mentality" can and sometimes takes over (more for some people than others ) and no one from the D main to the A main is exempt from this.
Old 2011.02.15, 12:53 PM   #32
Slapstick10
The "MAYOR"

Send a message via AIM to Slapstick10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpotter View Post
Again only my little opininon on which way to start--I'd rather start the same way in the qualifiers as the main especially with non local drivers with whom we do not race together on a regular basis just for the simple reason of getting used to how they react to a "gunshot start" and I would think drivers who are not used to that type of start would also want the same opportunity. As for pileing up, again its simple common sense, not that everyone has it...if your worried about it in the qualifier how are you going to be in the Main? I agree qualifying is to get your laps in the fastest time possible but lets be realistic there are other cars on the track and "racing mentality" can and sometimes takes over (more for some people than others ) and no one from the D main to the A main is exempt from this.
Oh Tom.....Its always you and I. I think this is one of those topics we are always going to agree to disagree about. Let me start picking apart you statement. So you want a gunshot start so can have an edge over non local racers. hmmmmm interesting. And the pile up......So you would rather have to avoid 7-8 cars on turn one then 1-2 through a lap......hmmmm thats interesting also Qualifiers are not only for best time but for best placement also. Its to easy for a so called knuckle head to cause havok because of over aggression. Or is it that you think you will have your comfortable little A Main crew. You try a gunshot start in the B,C or D main. Its not fun at all. Especially when you get hacked to pieces. Either you get through clean or your qualifier is shot....well maybe not that dramatic but you know what i mean. Tom riddle me this how hard is it to regain position after being hacked in the A Main? Again its my opinion also but a gunshot start this race is going to be mixed up pretty good and having b-e mains in your qualifier might just bump you down. Tom you are one of the best racers I know but being hacked up 2 qualifiers in a row and only one to make my laps is discouraging. Again I can race either way it really has no bearing. If I'm put in a qualifier with a knucklehead I'll delay my start by 6 seconds to avoid the issue but should I really have to do that. I remind all of you this is a competitive race. This is bragging rights and in your face racing

PS: I know I'm wasting my breath but it feels good to let it out!
Now I'm not repling to your reply to this. I gonna use my time to finish teching and setting my cars. Tom I think I love to argue with you!
Old 2011.02.15, 12:59 PM   #33
ShortBus
Independant Driver

Scott, Action/RC has always had a "gun start" including all it's past events (Winter and Summer Nats). This is nothing new and has always been a house rule....
Old 2011.02.15, 01:12 PM   #34
Cherub1m
Slip Angle Chaser

I am for staggered start.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

Link to my Videos http://www.youtube.com/SlipAngleChaser
Cherub1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.15, 01:58 PM   #35
Slapstick10
The "MAYOR"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post
Scott, Action/RC has always had a "gun start" including all it's past events (Winter and Summer Nats). This is nothing new and has always been a house rule....
I know that. However that doesn't make it right....not that its wrong! Its preference. I offered my opinions on certain subjects thats all. Doesn't mean I'm right or wrong just human with opinions!
Old 2011.02.15, 01:59 PM   #36
hpotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapstick10 View Post
Oh Tom.....Its always you and I. I think this is one of those topics we are always going to agree to disagree about. Let me start picking apart you statement. So you want a gunshot start so can have an edge over non local racers. hmmmmm interesting. And the pile up......So you would rather have to avoid 7-8 cars on turn one then 1-2 through a lap......hmmmm thats interesting also Qualifiers are not only for best time but for best placement also. Its to easy for a so called knuckle head to cause havok because of over aggression. Or is it that you think you will have your comfortable little A Main crew. You try a gunshot start in the B,C or D main. Its not fun at all. Especially when you get hacked to pieces. Either you get through clean or your qualifier is shot....well maybe not that dramatic but you know what i mean. Tom riddle me this how hard is it to regain position after being hacked in the A Main? Again its my opinion also but a gunshot start this race is going to be mixed up pretty good and having b-e mains in your qualifier might just bump you down. Tom you are one of the best racers I know but being hacked up 2 qualifiers in a row and only one to make my laps is discouraging. Again I can race either way it really has no bearing. If I'm put in a qualifier with a knucklehead I'll delay my start by 6 seconds to avoid the issue but should I really have to do that. I remind all of you this is a competitive race. This is bragging rights and in your face racing

PS: I know I'm wasting my breath but it feels good to let it out!
Now I'm not repling to your reply to this. I gonna use my time to finish teching and setting my cars. Tom I think I love to argue with you!
You must have mis-read my post because no where in it does it say I want a gun shot start to have an advantage over the "non local" guys, on the contrary its for their benefit to get used to running races with people that they don't normally run against. I will say this, everyone has been involved in pile-ups at the start but I want to hear from anyone that they lost the race due to the start, if it happened ever it is definitely not the norm and everyone knows that--more races are lost due to people not knowing when to pass or being too aggressive or not knowing when it is better to pull over a little for a faster driver, botttom line. I'm sorry if no one agrees with me but the mains are a "gunshot start", I want to know what I'm dealing with from the qualifiers on. I don't see having a "driving Miss Daisy start" getting in all your great qualifiers and then in the main have a pile-up and then complain that your main was ruined due to the start--just doesn't make sense to me. I will restate that in no way would a gunshot start be an advantage for local guys because there are going to be drivers that don't normally run together at the Nats and my point was to have the qualifying starts the same as the mains so both the local and non local can see what there up against and what they might have to deal with before the mains...make sense?
Old 2011.02.15, 10:10 PM   #37
PadrinoNY
A.K.A Pucho

Send a message via AIM to PadrinoNY Send a message via Yahoo to PadrinoNY Send a message via Skype™ to PadrinoNY
Ok here we go I have caught up to this present conflict. Forget about both of your opinions, Action needs this point blank. I stopped going there cause I perfer a staggered start over gunshot start pretty plain and simple. Now there should be a poll for this and this discussion can ultimately ruin the winter nats because alot of outter towners or "non locals" don't wanna here about gunshot starts. For the last few weeks I have petition other local tracks to support Action at this event and 75% of the people I spoke to asked "DO THEY STILL DO THAT ALL AT ONCE START" now there about another 11 people that won't show cause of that. Poll this question, better yet let Al the owner of Action and event coordinator decide. I wanna talk to some Nascar official and asked them to try that gunshot move on a Daytona qualifier so you can see how it all pans out.... Think about it, Just my 2 cents nothing more......

http://www dreamkillrracing.com

Dream Killr Racing "Come Get Some"
Website Admin
Broke A$$ Racing "Off Road Assasin's"
Maj's Hobby/White Knuckle Racing/GF Racing/Action RCMS/Brooklyn Hobbies/DG Designs
PadrinoNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.16, 03:37 AM   #38
Slapstick10
The "MAYOR"

Pucho we don't except foreign currency! Take your 2 pennies back! Lmao!!

I think jeff said it best. This is the way it's been for years , he's not going to change it now. Al is 100% for the fun factor. But then again I could be wrong! Well see! No matter how it plays out I'm looking forward to the winternationals!
Old 2011.02.16, 06:20 AM   #39
bermbuster
GF Racing

I think Action should stick with the gunshot start....
It is what makes Action....Action...

There are benefits to the gunshot start as well. it prepares racers to be on the mark....In some races its all won and lost at the start....
especially in stock mains....

During a qualifier you are on your own clock so if you lay back and give some time for the smoke to clear in the first turn you will have no problem...
bermbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.16, 06:48 AM   #40
sjm324

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadrinoNY View Post
Ok here we go I have caught up to this present conflict. Forget about both of your opinions, Action needs this point blank. I stopped going there cause I perfer a staggered start over gunshot start pretty plain and simple. Now there should be a poll for this and this discussion can ultimately ruin the winter nats because alot of outter towners or "non locals" don't wanna here about gunshot starts. For the last few weeks I have petition other local tracks to support Action at this event and 75% of the people I spoke to asked "DO THEY STILL DO THAT ALL AT ONCE START" now there about another 11 people that won't show cause of that. Poll this question, better yet let Al the owner of Action and event coordinator decide. I wanna talk to some Nascar official and asked them to try that gunshot move on a Daytona qualifier so you can see how it all pans out.... Think about it, Just my 2 cents nothing more......
"DO THEY STILL DO THAT ALL AT ONCE START" now there about another 11 people that won't show cause of that. IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS WHY SOMEONE WONT SHOW UP AT ACTION TO RACE....COME ON PUCHO I CANT BELIEVE YOU ARE GOING TO STOP COMING OVER A GUN SHOT START....WE ARE TALKING ABOUT RACING HERE....MOST OF THE RACERS WHO ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT GUN SHOT STARTS ARE SEASONED RACERS....I COULD UNDERSTAND HAVING A PROBLEM WITH A GUNSHOT START IF YOU ARE GROUPED WITH DRIVERS OF LESSER TALENT....HOWEVER AL USUALLY DOES NOT DO A RANDOM SORT AND HE GROUPS US ACCORDING TO SKILL LEVEL...ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT A GROUP OF A OR B MAIN DRIVERS CANT HANDLE A GUNSHOT START YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME....IF AL HAPPENS TO SET UP THE SORTS RANDOMLY AND YOU GET GROUPED WITH A D MAIN DRIVER ITS VERY POSSIBLE YOU COULD HAVE A VERY TUFF QUALIFIER...I THINK THIS TOPIC IS ABSOLUTELY NUTS...WE ARE SUPPOSE TO BE HAVING FUN HERE, RACERS SHOULD BE WANTING TO COME TO THE TRACK AND RACE AND NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT HOW WE ARE GOING TO START....IT IS KIND OF DISAPPOINTING THAT SOMEONE DOES NOT WANT TO COME TO OUR TRACK OVER A GUNSHOT START...ALL I WOULD HAVE TO SAY IS THAT THEY ARE MISSING OUT ON A GREAT TIME AND GREAT PEOPLE...LETS STOP THIS NONSENSE AND LETS RACE

DREAM KILLR RACING

ARC 2
sjm324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.16, 07:50 AM   #41
JuniorWKR
White Knuckle Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermbuster View Post
I think Action should stick with the gunshot start....
It is what makes Action....Action...

There are benefits to the gunshot start as well. it prepares racers to be on the mark....In some races its all won and lost at the start....
especially in stock mains....

During a qualifier you are on your own clock so if you lay back and give some time for the smoke to clear in the first turn you will have no problem...
with the gun shot start george if you hang back your in last place plain and simple... thats the whole thing your not racing against the clock with a gunshot start... the computer isnt setup to start your time once you cross the line... the clock starts when the horn goes off... so hanging back and not taking a risk can give you alot of traffic to fight through the entire qualifier... which will ead to some hacking because everyone is trying to get to the front to get the best time in and now every qualifier is against every person in the main and not just you running against the clock...

although this is not common practice for us i cant see people not showing up to a rac because of this... no matter what the MHS boys will be there to do our best and im sure we will have no problem adapting... even if i have to throw a LM bumper on the front of my car to make it through the first turn...

LIVE Mini-Z Racing Every Fri and Sat Nite 7pm - Dnano Racing Every Mon Nite 530pm - 1/16th - 1/18th Off Road Racing (times and days to be announced)
JuniorWKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.16, 08:30 AM   #42
rajiex

This is madness

I am going to throw my two cents into this stupid discussion of starts. I am a semi-regular at Action for about a year, this is a HOBBY for me and most of the racers I know. I don't think "I won the A-main or I was TQ at the WinterNats" is a great pick up line or an introduction to describe yourself. We are grown men playing with little expensive cars.

The question of starting techniques; gun shot vs staggered, is that great drivers will be hindered by a pile up in the first turn. In my opinion, to make interesting races and to see who the great drivers are let me them start at the rear and work their way thru the pack to get the lead. Yes, accidents and hacking does ruin your day especially if you are having a great run but isn't that a part of racing. Or has this HOBBY become so serious that drivers are going to intentionally ram another drivers car because of a hack or people go outside to settle a block, hack . We are here to do things we like with people we like at a place we like.

I am a Z driver and I know I will never have the skills to be at the status most of you guys are but I am coming to have fun. I hope all that can attend will attend, regardless of the start, to support the hobby and each other (LHS). If our shops were not there, what the hell would we do with our cars.

Whatever Al chooses to decide to do, it is "his house" and those who support him will always be there. Your house your rules is fair.
  • MR-03 94MM Nissan 350Z
  • MR-03 90MM Ferrari 355
  • MR-03 98MM Ferrari 599
  • MR-02 98MM Mosler
  • MR-02 102MM Mazda 787B
  • MA-10 94 Chevy Corvette
  • MA-10 94 Toyota Supra (Drifter)
  • MF-015 Ferrari
rajiex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.16, 08:34 AM   #43
Scrapper
Stu

Send a message via MSN to Scrapper
Staggered start al my vote counts as 51 percent of total
Old 2011.02.16, 08:56 AM   #44
Slubben
Practice Is For Wimps

I will be attending the Winter-Nats and I would prefer a staggered start but, I will be there regardless of how this all pans out.
Slubben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.16, 09:10 AM   #45
Slapstick10
The "MAYOR"

Fun ,Racing and Competition oh my!!!!!

Is there a happy medium for all here. No not really, some race for fun and some race for thrill and competition. At this race both worlds will exist in the same place and the same time. Its sought of like a lunar eclipse. I don't have a problem with either start. I have learned to adjust to Knuckleheads very well. I stand by my first thought that just for this race we use the staggered start.....Again IMO. Al made a decision by adding the race to the events page of the forum its a competition. I had a horrible Winternationals last year.
I was like 3 months to the hobby and managed to blow a motor crack a chassis and short a board....That freaken Red Bull Car....!!!! I look back now and I laugh but then it was not fun for me. I stayed with it and I'm happy I did.

All I know is I'm looking for DKR group picture out of this....a friend reminded me!