Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2008.08.09, 02:37 PM   #1
bobbyz

2.4ghz kt-5 conversion

hi all,

just wanted to share my conversion to make a little bigger 2.4ghz transmitter. i had thought the inner throttle and steering assemblies looked very similar, and what do you know the kt-18 steering assembly is a direct fit into the kt-5. for the throttle assembly i had to switch out the three wire steering positioner (thats what i call the elect. component with red/black/wht wires attached) this switch out is necessary because i couldn't get the kt-18 to have correct forward and reverse throw. i drilled four holes to access the steering and throttle buttons. i still need to find a way to clean these up since they still look a little rough. i also bent the led to fit in one of the existing kt-5 openings. for the battery connection i just wired in a little jumper so it would run off of four AA. my best solution to secure the pcb inside was to epoxy two pieces of 1/2" x 1/2" square pieces of wood directly below two of the existing holes in the pcb. overall i'm very happy with this set-up, and it's working great for me so far. it took about 5 hours to get it all done. if anyone else wants to do this let me know and i should be able to give you some help. heres some pics. comments welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 001.jpg (140.2 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 002.jpg (159.5 KB, 76 views)
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.08.09, 07:13 PM   #2
Draconious

Send a message via AIM to Draconious Send a message via Yahoo to Draconious
I knew it was only a matter of time before some one did this...
Old 2008.08.09, 07:18 PM   #3
shimey
putting ew back in newb

Very cool. My first thought with the KT-18 was "my hands are too big."

Is that the power button next to the LED? What did you do for power?

I wonder how much a stretch it would be to do the same with a KT-2. I've always like the aesthetics and ergonomics of the 2 better than the 5. Plus the Dual Rate wheel right under your thumb.

Time to take one apart. You've inspired me!
Old 2008.08.09, 08:59 PM   #4
bobbyz

shimey-

yup that's the power button next to the led. the led is just bent over at approx 90deg, and then both the led and the power button fit right in existing kt-5 holes.

for power i just used the existing kt-5 battery holder wired to use (4) AA cells.

I thought about trying this on a kt-2, but liked the look of the kt-5 better. i don't think the dual rate roller would be compatable with the 2.4ghz pcb, but i may be wrong. achieving a 4 cell battery setup i think might be a little more challenging on the kt-2 also.

i'll take some pics of the innards and the battery holder so you can see what it looks like a little better.
Old 2008.08.09, 09:01 PM   #5
shimey
putting ew back in newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyz View Post
shimey-

yup that's the power button next to the led. the led is just bent over at approx 90deg, and then both the led and the power button fit right in existing kt-5 holes.

for power i just used the existing kt-5 battery holder wired to use (4) AA cells.

I thought about trying this on a kt-2, but liked the look of the kt-5 better. i don't think the dual rate roller would be compatable with the 2.4ghz pcb, but i may be wrong. achieving a 4 cell battery setup i think might be a little more challenging on the kt-2 also.

i'll take some pics of the innards and the battery holder so you can see what it looks like a little better.

Cool. Already scheming.....
Old 2008.08.09, 10:17 PM   #6
cosmicsoul
The Mad Mexican

Trim controls

Funny thing is I just started the same project on Friday. I have both TX's apart sitting on my work bench. Just wondering if you could post a pic of where you put the steering and throttle trim controls.

Thanks,
Jay Vasquez
cosmicsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.08.10, 02:39 AM   #7
bobbyz

jay

i left all four buttons in the same place on the pcb. i drilled 2 holes above and 2 holes to the left of the steering wheel to access the buttons on the pcb. i wasn't quite confident enoght in my soldering skills to remove the four buttons from the pcb and come up with some slick place to reposition them. i just used a plasic tube to push each button to adjust the steering or throttle. i'm sure there's a much better way to do it that looks cleaner. i'll post some more pics tomorrow.
Old 2008.08.10, 01:43 PM   #8
bobbyz

more pics from the inside
Attached Images
File Type: jpg batt holder.jpg (135.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg trigger assembly.jpg (145.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg pcb.jpg (134.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg pcb attached.jpg (135.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 2008.08.10, 01:46 PM   #9
bobbyz

a couple more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg power-led.jpg (138.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg power-led inside.jpg (119.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 2008.08.10, 02:45 PM   #10
cosmicsoul
The Mad Mexican

Thanks

I have a little time to work on the transformation this afternoon I will let you know what I came up with.

Jay Vasquez
cosmicsoul is offline   Reply With Quote