Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2008.02.17, 10:44 PM   #1
adamkerrnz

Mini Z Noob Questions: MR02 MMi & Upgrades

Hey guys,

I work at a hobby store, and theres an MR02 MMi with a mclaren F1 body set here which I have been eyeing up and thinking about.

Basically, i want it to run on a sealed track, and be as fast as possible. this will not be for racing. more for fun at the track inbetween running my 1/12 and 1/10 gas cars

As we dont stock mini z parts at my store (and can only get kyosho spares), I would like to order aftermarket parts from here: rc mart.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=144_21_757

For what I want, im guessing i would require rubber tyres, some fet stacking/esc mods and a hell of a motor. I have a Futaba T2PL i could use with the car too.

Looking purely at Atomic parts at the moment. Which Motor mount, H bar, damper setup, knuckles, rods, diff etc etc should I go for.

I notice many of you are experienced mini Z racers, so Whatever you reccomend would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Adam.

Last edited by adamkerrnz; 2008.02.17 at 10:46 PM.
adamkerrnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.02.18, 12:04 AM   #2
adamkerrnz

Also, (sorry for asking so many questions there are probably already answers for)

Can anybody recommend good online shops running out of china, japan or australia? mainly for atomic parts.

Cheers,
Adam.
Old 2008.02.18, 07:11 AM   #3
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

See responses below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkerrnz View Post
Hey guys,

I work at a hobby store, and theres an MR02 MMi with a mclaren F1 body set here which I have been eyeing up and thinking about.
I would recommend getting a non i-series car. In my experience the i-Series cars just don't perform as well. They seem more susceptible to interference.

Basically, i want it to run on a sealed track, and be as fast as possible. this will not be for racing. more for fun at the track inbetween running my 1/12 and 1/10 gas cars

As we dont stock mini z parts at my store (and can only get kyosho spares), I would like to order aftermarket parts from here: rc mart.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=144_21_757

For what I want, im guessing i would require rubber tyres, some fet stacking/esc mods and a hell of a motor. I have a Futaba T2PL i could use with the car too.
For just going fast and playing around, that sounds about right. You could start with the stock FETs for now and just get a faster motor. (X-speed, Atomic Stock) and that will be plenty fast for now. If you want to get something crazy later on you could always get the board stacked later. As the car gets faster it's going to need more tuning to get it to handle, so you kind of want to step up the speed in increments.

Looking purely at Atomic parts at the moment. Which Motor mount, H bar, damper setup, knuckles, rods, diff etc etc should I go for.

Subject to opinion here but I would recommend, Kyosho H-plates, and maybe an Atomic diff and some sort of disc damper. Here's a link that should get you started. http://mini-zracing.com/blog/_archiv...0/2112872.html

I notice many of you are experienced mini Z racers, so Whatever you reccomend would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Adam.
Also you can order atomic products from the shop here or from their China-based shop. rcatomic.com
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.02.18, 07:48 AM   #4
byebye

What do you mean by sealed track?

Where are you located?

Kris
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.02.18, 06:31 PM   #5
bmxtrev
MidWest Racers

Send a message via AIM to bmxtrev Send a message via MSN to bmxtrev

http://www.*******.com/ is a online parts shop that is located in china. I ordered xmod parts from them once before , and it came in about 2 weeks.

the link isnt working, the website is r c x m i n i . c o m

Last edited by bmxtrev; 2008.02.18 at 06:32 PM. Reason: link doesnt work
bmxtrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.02.19, 03:31 AM   #6
adamkerrnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by byebye View Post
What do you mean by sealed track?

Where are you located?

Kris
It is an outdoor tar sealed track, mainly for 1/10th and 1/8th cars. I just want a mini-z to mess around with when I'm not racing my other cars

Thank you for your advice Spoon, We do also have a Normal Ferrari body MR02 MR chassis in store, but the MM chassis appeals to me more. I will order a normal MR02 kit from our supplier

Avoiding fet mod's sounds good to me, i don't think i have the experience yet for those kind of things. Although I am experienced at soldering, i have never done any IC work before.

Would the X-Speed be the fastest possible motor on stock fets? (avoiding over stressing them)
Old 2008.02.19, 05:56 AM   #7
byebye

If you want all out speed and stability on a big outdoor track I suggest you run a VDSII body. It has a wide offset(+3 front and rear) and is designed with downforce in mind. You could run this with a 3x2 FET upgrade and an Atomic T2 and you'd really get your kicks! For tires foams would probably be your best bet. Rubber will work and you could probably get away with sanded stock fronts if the track has some rough texture. Anything carpet or foam like RCP and you'd want the lowest degree rubber possible.

If you decide to keep it stock then a 9t with an Atomic Stock or Speedy motor would be pretty good. I'm assuming here that you are not getting this to be a track ready "I'm racing in the next mini-z race" car so learning to be fast with it on the track doesn't seem to be the focus. You just want somthing to fool around with.

Kris
Old 2008.02.20, 01:35 PM   #8
adamkerrnz

Thanks Byebye, thats a great help
The track is smooth, it has a very well established racing line from years of 1/10 and 1/8 cars running foam tyres. Sanded rubber tyres sounds like it should work. Dont want them wearing out after one run either

I played with the MR02 MR chassis we have in store, on our shop carpet it had very little traction Guess I should expect that with a completely stock car. Is there any real advantage with the MM over the MR chassis? can you run 98mm WB with the MR chassis on the VDSII body?

Can you just convert an MR to an MM chassis by changing the rear end? seems it should be simple as that, but i better check.

Cheers,
Adam.
Old 2008.02.20, 01:53 PM   #9
kryten

Send a message via MSN to kryten
oops double post,sorry

Last edited by kryten; 2008.02.20 at 01:54 PM. Reason: double post
kryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.02.20, 01:54 PM   #10
kryten

Send a message via MSN to kryten
The VDS body is 98mm wheelbase and comes with the right offset wheels for mr02.
Changing from MM to RM is as simple as changing the engine mount motor clip and h plate.Tho i'd probly wait to see what byebye says for sure,i'm fairly n00b at this too!
kryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.02.20, 02:29 PM   #11
adamkerrnz

yeah I was thinking it would be that simple. as i would be changing the whole rear end for atomic parts anyway :P
Old 2008.02.20, 05:17 PM   #12
byebye

The MM cars are 98mm so the longer wheel base has more stability versus the RM. The RM has the motor sitting behind the axle giving it better traction.

To convert from MM to RM all you need is an RM H-plate and an RM motor pod.

You can run an RM but it won't give you the 98mm wheelbase you need for the VDSII.

Kris