Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2005.01.18, 01:11 PM   #1
imjonah

Iwaver more problems than Kyosho

I know that forums do not give you an accurate picture of product reliability.

People with problems are much more likely to post than those without.
The product with significantly higher sales will generate more total complaints in absolute numbers.

Given the above, is my impression correct that the Iwaver's have significantly more out of box problems. This is particularly important because it is not like you can rturn them to the hobby shop.
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.01.18, 01:16 PM   #2
gulfclk
CT03 is coming ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjonah
I know that forums do not give you an accurate picture of product reliability.

People with problems are much more likely to post than those without.
The product with significantly higher sales will generate more total complaints in absolute numbers.

Given the above, is my impression correct that the Iwaver's have significantly more out of box problems. This is particularly important because it is not like you can rturn them to the hobby shop.
Iwaver is a clone, and if it would be better than the original Kyosho product, it would have been called an evolution, but ... it isn't.

It's a cheap solution to start this hobby, but ... it's far of the real stuff. I bought one as well ... the price of a Kyosho PCB (electronics) is twice the price of a complete Iwaver but ... it didn't work half as well.

So, yes, you have a point.

CT-03 RULES!!!, Renault F1 2004 version full option, MR-02 RM full option, BMW X5 on MR-01 MM chassis

[COLOR=DarkOrange]
gulfclk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.01.18, 01:20 PM   #3
El Tigre

I have had more concerns with the Imweaker's since they came out. Mostly poor reception and a weird steering waggle when the wheels would center. Every Kyosho Readyset I have gotten has been problem/concern free.
El Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.01.18, 01:22 PM   #4
El Tigre

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfclk
Iwaver is a clone, and if it would be better than the original Kyosho product, it would have been called an evolution, but ... it isn't.

It's a cheap solution to start this hobby, but ... it's far of the real stuff. I bought one as well ... the price of a Kyosho PCB (electronics) is twice the price of a complete Iwaver but ... it didn't work half as well.

So, yes, you have a point.
The only problem with that argument is that some man named Steve is going around claiming that they are as good as Kyosho.

Edit - Edited response is a little borderline

Last edited by Mondo; 2005.01.19 at 01:57 AM.
Old 2005.01.18, 02:51 PM   #5
Mondo
Mini-Zedologist - Fear me

IWaver reliability

When I Iwaver first came out, I classified it as a 1:1 "Mini-Z clone"
I got some staunch critisizm for taking that approach from the pro-Iwaver camp
The consensus is that the IW-01 (which was the only one available at that time) was an "improved Mini-Z at a lower cost"
To keep the peace, I have refrained from passing any comment as I don't own an IWaver and have no intention of adding one to my fleet of small-scale RC

Since then I've read the IWaver Forums on a daily basis and have noticed that a number of Members have aired their concernes about the Iwaver's quality and reliability. Makes for interesting reading.

The UberMod is back in town...
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.01.18, 03:03 PM   #6
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
forums, with heavy traffic like this one, can give you very accurate sense of a product's quality and fun value. when you have thousands of members and the number of iw owners increases, you will eventually have the vast knowledge resources here similar to what's available for the mini-z.

yes, people with problems are much more likley to post and that too should tell you something. flip thru the xmod section of tinyrc and you'll find a fairly accurate rendering of the value of the xmod based soley on the frequency of complaint threads and when balanced by the shear number of other threads you can get a good sense of what the xmod is really worth.
the same applies to the iw.

i would have to agree that it has been clearly evident that from the begining iwaver's have had a significantly higher number of complaints right out of the box. however when you browse the xmod section of tinyrc again you will see it's on par with that of another $50 rc. when condiering an iw purchase, knowledge is your best friend. the more you read and are exposed to the product prior to purchase, the less surprises and frustrations you will encounter when you get it.

overall, i don't hink to highly of the iwaver. it's a better buy than an xmod for sure but from my experience with them and the shear number of other reports nad iwver's own inconsistent/unclear product information, i would hold off on any larger number iw purchases until iw has a chance to sort out the issues at hand, which is no small task. but you have to give them credit for doing it in the first place. if marketed right by them and hobby shops, it will only increase 1/28 scale rc racing, product development and mini-z awareness. it's basically a win win for k. as they will no doubt sell more parts and will be seen a clear step up in quality. lets just hope they pass the lower pricing on to us when they get here to u.s. and ditch the monopoly GP has had and srewed us with in terms of pricing. then, you will have the best of both worlds... an improved iw product and hopefully cheaper k. product. this is by no means gospel though, just one mans informed opinion.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.01.18, 03:28 PM   #7
michvin

i don't have the iwaver, but seeing posts about the problems they have and seeing two of my friends started as great IW supporters both ends with K's MR02s i did not hesitated when selected the car for my son. Yes, it was kyosho.
Also, after holding in my own hands this new "LED" IW transmitter, i don't think it's a good purchase as well, many would disagree tho. It's a step up from Kyosho's transmitter but huge downstep from any other Tx with simillar functions. Futaba 2PL priced 70$ defenitely cost it's money vs. IW Tx for 40-30$.
just my opinion
Old 2005.01.18, 03:52 PM   #8
TJFBryant

Send a message via MSN to TJFBryant
Quote:
Originally Posted by michvin
i don't have the iwaver, but seeing posts about the problems they have and seeing two of my friends started as great IW supporters both ends with K's MR02s i did not hesitated when selected the car for my son. Yes, it was kyosho.
Also, after holding in my own hands this new "LED" IW transmitter, i don't think it's a good purchase as well, many would disagree tho. It's a step up from Kyosho's transmitter but huge downstep from any other Tx with simillar functions. Futaba 2PL priced 70$ defenitely cost it's money vs. IW Tx for 40-30$.
just my opinion

I have the Futaba 2pl and the Iwaver "3pl" personally I find the Iwaver 2 controller is either on par or better than the 2 pl. and I specially ordered my 2pl from a LHS for 85 USD.
The Iwaver II control was a good deal.
I've been a long time iwaver advocate (since its inception) when many outright turned it down.

Iwavers are definitely not FLAW proof, and may have more "fixer ups" than Kyosho. But for the cost, you are getting what you pay for.
Its like comparing real cars. I have a had a Kia Optima 2001, and I have a Honda Civic VP 2005. My optima was fully loaded and power packaged for 15 grand.
It had ALOT for fixer ups...yet it was clearly a decent choice for what you received.

On the other hand my Honda Civic...is VP'ed...or Value Packaged. No power windows, mirrors, seats or cruise. Price: 17,000 roughly.
More money, less options, but I have had no problems with it. The quality of the engine and every part on the car appears to be manufactured to perfection (if such a thing is attainable).

In conclusion,
I love my Iwavers (because I can mod them and fix the problems without loss of a large investment)

On the other hand...my honda Civic blows the Optima I had out of the water when quality and reliablity is the issue.
No,....I am not hopping up my civic....lol..it'll remain stock.

I know the price is vastly comparable when you talk about real cars to RC's. But the idea of quality versus quantity, and whether you mind doing "fixer ups" on RC's out of the box will always remain a creditable issue.

Its online!
Printed version and issues soon to come
TJFBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.01.18, 04:02 PM   #9
michvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFBryant
I have the Futaba 2pl and the Iwaver "3pl" personally I find the Iwaver 2 controller is either on par or better than the 2 pl. and I specially ordered my 2pl from a LHS for 85 USD.
The Iwaver II control was a good deal.
as i said: many would disagree...
Old 2005.01.18, 04:48 PM   #10
Mondo
Mini-Zedologist - Fear me

Arch2b you're right, when something works no one says squat. When things don't meet someone's expectations, people are quick to complain via a Forum, even if it doesn't help resolve the issue, it has the theraputic effect of a person sharing their disatisfaction with other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michvin
just my opinion
michvin

A valid comment indeed. I believe the Iwaver TX was a big honeypot that attracted buyers due to it's functionality and value for money. To be honest, I contemplated buying an IW02 solely for the TX, as the IWavers have reached the UK hobby shops.
I never got around to it as most of my small scale collection runs on 40MHz FM (UK Freq) and the only 27MHz vehicles I have are my many Mini-Z and TamTechs.
I cannot comment on the quality of the TX bundled with the IWaver, but I know that TXs are all about personal preference.

The UberMod is back in town...
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.01.18, 05:20 PM   #11
imjonah

I have read most of these threads. Is it safe to assume the newer 02? model with the Futaba radio and the improved electronics is much better and almost on par with the Kyosho reliability wise?

Am I correct in assuming the delivered price of the new and improved Iwaver is about $80 and the MR02 $125 ?

Here in Colorado there is no real support or facility for either mini-z or 1/18th.
Except for the mini-T the shops make no effort to stock or sell the smaller cars for the most part.
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.01.18, 05:53 PM   #12
El Tigre

I suppose the word "****man" is not PC for MZR.

Edit El Tigre - we have Members of all races and denominations from all over the world on MIni-ZRacer.com.
We have to show respect and consideratrion for all our Members.

Taking this into consideration, the terminology you used did upset a Member who's reply I removed to keep the peace. I then Edited your original comment.

Last edited by Mondo; 2005.01.19 at 01:56 AM.
Old 2005.01.18, 05:56 PM   #13
lightfighter
MINI-Z SOLDIER

The thing is if you buy an Iwaver for half the price of the MR-0x then you should expect it to be of lesser quailty. And if you think you are going to get the deal of the decade then you are an dumb arse!! like I told people if you looking for a car to hopup then the Iwaver is a good choice since you will be replacing most of the parts, and the entry price is very good and the TX ownes the Kyohso TX. The PCB pro is an improvement IMHO or a suitable replacement for the Kyohso PCB. but after those parts everything else evens out or goes down hill

There are pros and cons about IW's and MZr's........you can either deal with them and make improvements or you can spend all your time beeeochin
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.01.18, 06:31 PM   #14
DAMZer
Zen_gineer

I like the IW02, for the price. I run them stock but will add alloy motor mounts and have already got alloy front knuckles, bearings and most definitely alloy rims.

You get what you pay for, no contest that the Kyosho MR02 is the best quality. But for the price and the fun factor the IW02 is a good value. It has provided a running platform for many of my 02 shells, and with 1-IW readyset and 2 chassis's at about the price of 1 new release MR02, it is a great value.

No doubt the TX is the deal with the readyset. I run all my Mini-Z's and my 1/18 fleet with it and it performs flawlessly. My beloved M8 is now reserved for my 1/10 and Micro RS4's where the added functionality can be used. For the mini-z, the IW radio is definitely a major step up and has all the functionality I want or need for the scale.

If the radio reception/interference issues are not resolved, then it will not become a racing favorite. But for the garage track and racing with your buddy, I find it to be acceptable for the price. IF IW really wants to make a name for themselves, they will resolve the interference issues and pay another 10 cents for a better steering pot. If just these 2 issues were addressed................................couldn't resist joining in the fray
Old 2005.01.18, 07:21 PM   #15
lightfighter
MINI-Z SOLDIER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMZer
If the radio reception/interference issues are not resolved, then it will not become a racing favorite. But for the garage track and racing with your buddy, I find it to be acceptable for the price. IF IW really wants to make a name for themselves, they will resolve the interference issues and pay another 10 cents for a better steering pot. If just these 2 issues were addressed................................couldn't resist joining in the fray
I haven't experianced many issues with the radio interferance...........some glitching and the pisspoor steering pots.......... but my IW02 works flawless
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote