Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2019.11.21, 08:50 AM   #1
soulstice

Mini96 or WideL for Home?

Planning on getting a track again for myself and to get my kids into RC as well.

I used to have three wide ovals(which is basically two wideL), and am considering whether it will be better to go with the mini96 or WideL for my new track. Would consider getting an expansion and a second wideL but I wouldn't be able to leave it set up under my current space constraints.

Mini96 would allow me to have a more challenging course in the same space but might be tight if I have 3-4 cars running on them.

Wide L would give more space to run more vehicles concurrently but less interesting layout.

For those that have gone either route, wondering if there are additional thoughts for or against either option, specifically the Mini96 as I don't have first hand experience with that.
Old 2019.11.21, 09:53 AM   #2
mtse0

I started with a single wide L track and we got bored with it pretty quickly. I had room for a second track so I picked one up. There are many different layouts https://nextleveltiming.com/communit.../track-layouts that can be setup with 2 tracks. And there is the added bonus that you can run in the HFAY series if you can get 2 more people to run with you.
mtse0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.11.21, 03:46 PM   #3
Rooster29

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstice View Post
Planning on getting a track again for myself and to get my kids into RC as well.

I used to have three wide ovals(which is basically two wideL), and am considering whether it will be better to go with the mini96 or WideL for my new track. Would consider getting an expansion and a second wideL but I wouldn't be able to leave it set up under my current space constraints.

Mini96 would allow me to have a more challenging course in the same space but might be tight if I have 3-4 cars running on them.

Wide L would give more space to run more vehicles concurrently but less interesting layout.

For those that have gone either route, wondering if there are additional thoughts for or against either option, specifically the Mini96 as I don't have first hand experience with that.
I’ll throw my two cents in for what it is worth.
I am limited on space as well. I have a half finished basement. I had a slot car track set up for a long time. It was on a 12x8 table. I recently pulled out the mini 96 and it fits perfectly on the table I used for the slot car track. If I were you, I would definitely go with the mini 96 if you have space that can be dedicated for that. One wide L would most certainly get boring rather quickly I think. The mini 96 is like two wide L’s, so you have track variations available using a mini 96. As far as having three or four cars running at the same time, that would be tight.....but can be done. I think it would be a good idea to set a timer and have two race for 10-15 minutes, and then the next two.

Depending on the age of your kids, a mini 96 track might be tight for them, but, if they take their time.....they will get it. Challenge them to get around the track without hitting any rails vs just going fast. See how many laps they can make without hitting anything. That might help them get a feel and rhythm. Then, go fast. ;-)

Also, I haven’t done this, but I’m considering it. If you get a Mini96 track, you could join the Mini96 World Challenge:

https://www.rctech.net/forum/micro-m...challenge.html

Last edited by Rooster29; 2019.11.21 at 03:50 PM.
Rooster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.11.22, 10:29 AM   #4
LJH

I have no experience with the Wide L sets but I would also think that a single would get boring really quickly. I have space constraints as well so I cannot set up my Mini96 permanently but I break mine down into 4x2 tile sections and can assemble it and disassemble it and have our formal living room back in "living" mode in under 10 minutes.

As Rooster mentioned there is the Mini96 World Challenge which I kind of manage. It is an easy way to compete even if there is no organized racing around you. I have to say that I have learned a lot about tuning and running these cars trying to keep up with the fast guys. Would love to have more folks join us.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.11.22, 02:11 PM   #5
TPDazzle

I have 2 wide Ls, and the tracks you can make are really fun and can easily accommodate 3-4 cars racing head to head. We participate in HFAY and it gives our "club" which is really 3 old childhood friends an excuse to get together once a month and garage race. Unfortunately we are very mediocre, but it gives us something to shoot for, and includes us as part of a community of fellow mini z enthusiasts from all over.

That said, there are some big disadvantages to the full 1 meter wide track. It doesn't fit in my basement unless I get very creative with the set up. A mini 96 would be much better for my space. 2 wide Ls also take up quite a bit of space to store. I made some custom bags and store it on shelves in my garage. If you can only fit 1 wide L, I would definitely go with the mini 96. If you have the space, the head to head racing allowed with 2 wide Ls is hard to beat.

Jim, I have been following the mini 96 world challenge and it seems like a great option to build community and competition for people that do not have other racers available. If I ever find myself with a mini96, I would do it in a heartbeat to work on skills. Thank you for making it happen!
TPDazzle is offline   Reply With Quote