Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2015.07.21, 11:07 PM   #31
TheRinger
THATS HOW I ROLL

Well then why don't you make a seperate thread for why their aren't more large track or big events? Talking about that in a thread about foam tires makes it irrelevant. I don't need a link to your tuning methods. It doesn't really matter to me. Maybe you will make into the history books as "the great tuner of mini z's!" And maybe you truly help people at your track. But it seems to bother you that someone shows up once a month to race with their "sports" mini z seems to rub you the wrong way. Why don't you try helping them. Instead of casting them aside as useless. And how is tires going to ruin this hobby? Seriously?! If people are serious enough about it they will figure out how to set up their chassis. Plus there is a ton of how to guides out there. You're not the only one to do that. But here's something interesting. I raced 10th scale off road for a few years mainly short course. I watch guys set up their trucks to the pros set up sheet. Well the pros set up is usually based on racing blue groove clay track usually in California. Doesn't work well when racing on loose loamy east coast dirt. So really pro set up sheets are kinda worthless, not even a good starting in some cases. RTR's help this or any scale of this hobby. Because they make the chassis for the aftermarket to build better parts for. Without a chassis to make parts for their would be no aftermarket to build them. That includes tires. Now their are custom chassis like atomics amz etc. but somebody new to the hobby isn't going to want to put together a car and end up frustrated then quit. They want something that is ready to run. Not ready pull their hair out. I understand to a point that like I seen when flying rc heli's people buy one from a kiosk in the mall and they get burned on it. That is what hurts any hobby. And thanks for quoting a part of my post to make yourself feel better. What else do you got?
Old 2015.07.21, 11:36 PM   #32
DMALMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRinger View Post
Well then why don't you make a seperate thread for why their aren't more large track or big events? Talking about that in a thread about foam tires makes it irrelevant. I don't need a link to your tuning methods. It doesn't really matter to me. Maybe you will make into the history books as "the great tuner of mini z's!" And maybe you truly help people at your track. But it seems to bother you that someone shows up once a month to race with their "sports" mini z seems to rub you the wrong way. Why don't you try helping them. Instead of casting them aside as useless. And how is tires going to ruin this hobby? Seriously?! If people are serious enough about it they will figure out how to set up their chassis. Plus there is a ton of how to guides out there. You're not the only one to do that. But here's something interesting. I raced 10th scale off road for a few years mainly short course. I watch guys set up their trucks to the pros set up sheet. Well the pros set up is usually based on racing blue groove clay track usually in California. Doesn't work well when racing on loose loamy east coast dirt. So really pro set up sheets are kinda worthless, not even a good starting in some cases. RTR's help this or any scale of this hobby. Because they make the chassis for the aftermarket to build better parts for. Without a chassis to make parts for their would be no aftermarket to build them. That includes tires. Now their are custom chassis like atomics amz etc. but somebody new to the hobby isn't going to want to put together a car and end up frustrated then quit. They want something that is ready to run. Not ready pull their hair out. I understand to a point that like I seen when flying rc heli's people buy one from a kiosk in the mall and they get burned on it. That is what hurts any hobby. And thanks for quoting a part of my post to make yourself feel better. What else do you got?
I never said to cast aside the Mini-Z sports racers, just that the opinion of racers who support the hobby is more important. I am not trying to go down in history, just point out a sore subject that needs to be discussed. I don't think there needs to be another thread for big events because the more important fact is that tires control racing and seeing as there is no racing going on, maybe the tires need to change. The reason I am trying to keep this thread going is the fact that foam tires could help grow mini-z racing. Trust me I have seen many new comers get frustrated with a kit like the amz or MRX. Even some of the more advanced racers have issues with them. The point is not that there shouldn't be any rtrs, but how about a brushless systemt that doesn't suck, and three different radio types with only one viable radio option (if you buy new), or how about the fact that the rtrs which are supposed to make people want to race have to be rebuilt and meticulously gone through before you can even run the car. The stock knuckles and kingpins are a joke, and there is no rear suspension so if the rtr came with a car that poeple could realistcly take out of the box and race without having to come to a more advanced racer to fix it, then I would not have an issue with the sports chassis. This is not the thread for that though, this is about tires. I know I am on the most extreme end of the spectrum when it comes to tires but honestly I want nothing more than to be able to run a pn regional on foam tires.... that is the point of this thread and if I had to be a little blunt to try and explain why this should happen so be it.

Honestly I do not understand the purpose of your pro setup sheet analogy. I have read that what you are saying is a common occurace, and also firmly believe that finding a setup that works is an individual task since everyone has a different driving style. I put in the fact that I made a write up to indicate that I do have the new drivers intrest in mind, not to toot my own horn. I also never had the experience of being able to rely on a guide like the one I created when I was learning how to race. While most things in the guide have been covered I have not found some where that compiles setup of all kinds, avialable chassis, and most importantly tires all in one place. Nothing new just trying to save new guys some time.

Honestly, I was a terrible driver for the longest time until the track switched to foams. I did not understand setup and the precision required with setting up a chassis until going to foams, and I did not have nearly as much fun until going to foams. While I still am not the best driver, I have fun every week and am always a competitor rather than a backmarker. I attribute this to practice and foam tires and that is why I feel so strongly in favor of foam tires. If they changed my outlook on racing I am willing to bet anything that they will change someone else's too. And while I am at I would like to start a thread about why there are no more regional events in the US too, but I think the tire material is more integral to the growth of mini-z than regional races.
DMALMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.22, 11:55 AM   #33
imxlr8ed

I've always been under the assumption that you were a salesman for, or had some kind of deal with X-power Dmalmad... no biggie in my book.

Yes, you race with some of the fastest guys in the world in this tiny hobby. And the ones I know from up there are so adaptable to any type of racing that they can squeeze out wins with any type of car, on any type of surface, with any type of tire. Most of us here already know this.

Just like the carbon chassis posts before, no... we are not all going to convert our cars for huge dollars, we are not all perfect drivers, we do not race every week...

BUT WE DO HAVE FUN!

Yes... you are awesome! So much better and faster than the rest of us lowly forum creepers! (is that what you want everybody to say on here?)

Don't shoot down what you don't know dude, just roll with the fact that most clubs run rubber.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)

Last edited by imxlr8ed; 2015.07.22 at 11:57 AM.
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.22, 12:33 PM   #34
DMALMAD

Not a salesman for any company. In fact if you read what I have had to say about x-power and their IDT you would not think that. And I am not saying that everyone should change to foam tires, just consider trying them as I have repeadetly said. I understand everyone has their own agenda and reason for racing but wouldn't it be nice to have a little more people racing?
DMALMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.22, 01:03 PM   #35
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

OK, lets give the boy a little break. Essentially his only problem is that he is at that stage where he should leave home while he is still smarter than his parents and everybody else for that matter. The flagallent ardor and zeal that he espouses would make even Venturino of Bergamo green with envy. He is racing out of what at one time was one of the two premier facilities in the country. Now he just seeks guidance from a couple of the old guard without bothering to learn the dynamics of chassis choosing instead the glue and goo approach on super soft pipe insulation. It is effective though. You could get a concrete block with a two cycle outboard to corner for a couple of minutes. To some, that is racing. He would be miles ahead of where he is if he had gotten in a couple of years on RCP with rubber and mini-Z's instead of the "rockets" on rug and foam. It would be interesting to see him at Fairfax or better still Remnant.

I don't want this to sound like I am picking on him cause I'm not and I would rather not get him too fired up over an observation. I've been face to face with him and his much younger than I am grandmother. I have seen and held the chassis he created. Though crude and cobbled in appearance for a prototype it showed promise. Although he couldn't answer fundamental questions on roll rates and polar moments there is real potential in the boy and his design. Given a structured racing atmosphere like the Reading or Fairfax group with people that will teach instead of just instruct and in time when he unlearns the short cuts and learns the true dynamics of the car or any of the varieties offered in the scale he will be a force to be dealt with. Maybe not a Jacob Feinstein but within that percentile.

Keep at it kid, just calm down a little and learn why the good Lord gave you one mouth and two ears. Also learn to be more adventurous and expand your racing horizons. You will be astounded at what you can learn and the willingness of the rest of us to actually help you. Remember, just because I'm nearly 70 years old and have no interest in punching holes in the sheetrock at the ends of the straightaways doesn't mean that I and a large majority of the racers out there don't know how.

Last edited by mleemor60; 2015.07.22 at 01:51 PM.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote