Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2015.07.08, 12:29 PM   #31
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
look forward to having you join us at Hobby Works in the fall.

indeed, our Mod class is rather lenient and yes, foam tires are permitted. the are some people that use foam tires for mini-z just as there are some that use rubber slot tires. just no additives for any tires that leave residue on the track. for Mod class, we are limited to 3 wide L layouts for the most part. it's 1/3 larger than HFAY layouts we also run on HFAY dates. outright speed is seldom the deciding factor in our group as some of the top guys run one or two cars for all classes (HFAY, Stock, 86-90mm, Mod).

back to the topic on hand...
whatever your choice, you'll find company in our group as it is an eclectic collection of just about everything which i very much enjoy. there are currently no less than 3 drivers running mini-z scale lexan body, mod chassis platforms of one kind or the other. Hobby Works only carries kyosho parts for mini-z scale so anything else will need to be purchased elsewhere or from locals. there are no shortage of trades, sales to be had at events. there are plenty of guys in the group that also run large scale and can point you in the right direction on where to go if you need to scratch that itch.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.08, 12:55 PM   #32
DMALMAD

Yes I was refering to atomic 4wd as on carpet it seemed to do better than the atomic 2wd, but hands down the mrx, std 03 chassis, or even the DMR will beat the atomic 2wd no matter the tire. I can honestly say that stay away from the x-power 4wd and even the atomic stuff for rcp. The 4wd stuff is cool in theory but noticably slower than 2wd and always a pain as far as setup and tires are concerned. The X-power design was good in theory but the excecution and sacrifices made for electronics and suspension make the car a real handful and a terrible driving experience. I personally have the MRX, IDT, and of course my own DMR but I cannot really tell too much difference between the mrx and mine except price and versatility, plus no t-bars is a plus. However the MRX is probably easier to setup but if you have more experience with the 1/12th the pivot rear is probably more familiar, I think the DMR has the ability to be much faster but track time and more setup is needed. But yes for racing I would go away from the atomic stuff since that was designed for low grip silicon tire racing conditions. If foam is avialable to you I would stick with X-Power tires as the price and quality and performance make them unbeatable compared to what else is out there, plus the foam will always be faster than rubber.

I cover a lot of the beginner and even more advanced questions that most people have here(I do not cover the atomic amr 2wd but I am sorry to say it is not as viable an option as the other products avialable): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...NdOBl92HA/edit

Last edited by DMALMAD; 2015.07.08 at 01:15 PM.
DMALMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.10, 10:44 AM   #33
john.c

Thanks for the info and suggestion guys! I am going to stick with the AMZ 2wd and see how it stacks up with the competition. I haven’t started the build yet so I can’t comment on the build quality. However, I believe it will rotate well and carry good corner speed on high bite conditions based on the design and electronics layout. I do plan on upgrading to a digital servo and the optional ball diff as I don’t have confidence in the stock components. Driving skills aside, I don't see whey this chassis can't/won't compete with the Kyosho and X-Power offerings. I have limited experience with setting up and racing micro scale cars on a RCP track so I may be missing something here. If this car turns out to be a dud, I'll chalk it up to a learning experience and quickly move on to another platform.
john.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.10, 12:42 PM   #34
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

The Hobby Works group is a great group of people. You won't have any issues with qualified assistance with whatever you need. Go and enjoy. I have.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.05, 06:40 AM   #35
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.c View Post
Thanks for the info and suggestion guys! I am going to stick with the AMZ 2wd and see how it stacks up with the competition. I haven’t started the build yet so I can’t comment on the build quality. However, I believe it will rotate well and carry good corner speed on high bite conditions based on the design and electronics layout. I do plan on upgrading to a digital servo and the optional ball diff as I don’t have confidence in the stock components. Driving skills aside, I don't see whey this chassis can't/won't compete with the Kyosho and X-Power offerings. I have limited experience with setting up and racing micro scale cars on a RCP track so I may be missing something here. If this car turns out to be a dud, I'll chalk it up to a learning experience and quickly move on to another platform.
Will it be a dud? Eh maybe on the first day. Everyone except Andy has a tough first day. This scale is my only experience but from our experience the first day is always nerve racking as everyone around you has years of experience with pit gear, race setup, and track time.

Leave your expectations low . Show up early to get on the track before the crowd. Find one person and stick to them the whole day. We are an easy going group and everyone is very helpful.

I too plan on running an AMZ at some point. While the chassis isn't new to market it hasn't caught on at our club simply because we're already invested in Kyosho stuff. I plan to borrow an AMZ from one of our club members this weekend and will do some test and tune and see if I can't get it around the track with the best of them.

Kris
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.08.14, 09:34 AM   #36
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Can anybody provide a non social media link for the AMR instruction manual. Something printable.
Old 2016.08.15, 05:43 AM   #37
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Anyone? Anyone?
Old 2016.08.15, 06:55 AM   #38
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
it's on their main website, Manual and Setup Sheet

sorry, thread title is AMZ, this is the AMR... Manual and Setup Sheet
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.08.15, 09:05 AM   #39
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Got it R. Thanks for all.
Old 2016.11.19, 01:46 AM   #40
durtbag

Ball Diff

Im trying to build this kit and the optional ball diff just won't fit, it seems to be over 2mm too wide.... not even close.
Ive built the AMZ 4WD and the BZ, they were fine and work really well. But this kit does not seem good at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0859.JPG (222.3 KB, 26 views)
durtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.11.19, 06:26 AM   #41
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Make sure you are using the bearings that come with the ball dif. They are a tad narrower.
Old 2016.11.19, 01:58 PM   #42
durtbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
Make sure you are using the bearings that come with the ball dif. They are a tad narrower.
yeah, i'm using the narrow bearings. found that the outdrives won't seat fully into the alloy hubs bc the locating pins on the back of the OD's won't seat in the alignment holes in the alloy hub halves. i also found that the diff locknut does not clear the inside of the OD, so the outdrive does not seat fully. if i remove the o-ring, the OD fits in deeper.

so i sanded the pins on the OD's and made them more of a dimple and removed the o-ring, with these changes have reduced the overall width of the diff so that it fits in the case, still too tight.

working on it.
Old 2016.11.20, 10:48 AM   #43
byebye

Yeah that's obviously not going to fit.

Kris
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.11.24, 01:06 PM   #44
durtbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by byebye View Post
Yeah that's obviously not going to fit.

Kris
Well, I did get it to work but there was way to much fettling for my liking. An Option Parts should not be this much work.

Having said that, the car performs really well for the cost. Having a home track to test and tune, I was able to get lap times just slightly slower than the BZ or AMZ 4WD so far. Only had it four days..

Terry
Old 2017.02.19, 04:11 PM   #45
durtbag

Ball Diff

Update: after ordering a replacement parts set for the ball diff, I find that I was supplied two left side out drives in the Ball diff Kit I purchased. The correct right hand side out drive moves the bearing inboard and is indexed for the Diff Nut..
Made a huge difference