Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2005.05.17, 02:22 PM   #1
moddogs

Carbon brushes on Plasmatomic

Lasted about a month. I burned right through the carbon to the metal holding the carbon piece. I'm now using the silvers that came with the Plasma dash. What is the normal lifespan of a brush?
Old 2005.05.17, 08:31 PM   #2
ph2t

wow dude! a month huh? I guess this was in your madforce? You must of been running it pretty hard heh?

a madfroce running 7.4V, stacked fets and a plasmatomic must of been bit of a handfull, lol....

Normally brush life is quite good, I find that the brushes in the S03 seem to last the longest, but it has also to do with the type of use they get.

A racer chassis with a plasmatomic and stock 4 aaa cells will last for ages vs. a madforce with li-ion and a large pinion.

I think you may find the stock plasma brushes will wear down sooner than the atomic ones.

cheers,

ph2t.
ph2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.05.17, 09:29 PM   #3
Ibrake Ifry

You can use li-ions for a plasmatomic? I thought that lith-ions couldn't handle the amps the plasma draws under load.

Also from a thread i read around here the iwaver xspeed plus(not pro) motor has 27 turns of 26ga like the plasma. Do you think it will perform the same as the plasma dash or more like the Uberdash(or maybe neither) if i put it in a bb can with neos?
Ibrake Ifry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.05.18, 12:32 AM   #4
ph2t

You can use li-ions with a plasmatomic, they will get hot eventually, just gear it down to help the batteries.....

I don't know anything about the iwaver xspeed plus armature dude, sorry....

ph2t.
Old 2005.05.18, 08:48 AM   #5
Ibrake Ifry

-thanks for the info about the lith-ions since i was kind of scared to use them with a plasmatomic.
Anyways I took the following from Fidalgo...
-----
Info about Motors:

Kyosho stock: 70 turns
Kyosho Xspeed: 50 turns
iwaver Xspeed: 27 turns, large commutator, strong magnets
iwaver Xspeed pro: 20 turns, with diagonal armature, large commutator, neo magnets, ball bearing, atomic type can.
-----
Anywayz i found this interesting because the iwaver xspeed has kind of the same specs as a plasmatomic minus the bbcan, neos and carbon brushes...plus you can get it from ******* for like 3.90 plus shipping
I would never use the pro because that draws way to much current=> 20 turns and diagonal armature!
Old 2005.05.18, 05:09 PM   #6
moddogs

Thanks for the info. I think something may have been wrong with my Plasmatomic. I built 2 others at the same time as mine and their brushes are not even worn down 50%. I put the silvers in the motor and it ran for 5 mins. Then my truck acted like the batteries dumped (NiMH style) although they were still reading 8+ volts. Pulled the brush and that one got toasted too. Comm on the plasma armature looks untrued and not even. I am going to buy another and build it again. I am hooked on the Plasmatomic.

My comment about the batts. My li-ions don't even get warm with the Plasmatomic. The NiMHs got much hotter, I couldn't even hold the cells after a run. The li-ions feed the plasmatomic just fine. I believe the 18500s are 15C rated, so they deliver good amps and the motor is happy.

Wow, thanks for that motor info, I may just try an XSpeed pro! I believe i'm stacked to run it.

Oh, and ph2t, you may want to update your page on the fet recommendations for a plasmatomic. The Plasmatomic will blow the IRF7317 2x3 stack. Happened to one of the other 2 guys I built the motor for. I would strongly suggest a 2x4.
Old 2005.05.18, 05:41 PM   #7
ph2t

hey moddogs, thanks for your feedback mate.

As for the brushes issue, maybee you can change the force on the wipers by bending them back a little bit to relieve the presure at the brush/commutator contact point. This may help.

As for the 2x3 stack blowing I gotta say that this surprises me. Not for one 2nd do I doubt it happening but it's wiered. I've run the plasmatomic in my 2x3 irf7317 fet stack for a fair while with no problems. I even went up to a 15t pinion and the batteries would get pretty toasted due to the over gearing.

My only question is that did you do the bearing ream out part? AS stated in the tutorial it's very important that the bearing seat in the endbell be reamed out a bit more to allow space in the can for the shaft to sit. I've seen this issue alone cause a lot of motor friction and kill performance and exude a lot of current drain.

cheers,

ph2t.
Old 2005.05.18, 07:50 PM   #8
moddogs

I did do the ream out the endbell where the bearing goes. I got about .5 to 1mm of shaft movement with the tabs holding the endbell.
Old 2005.06.03, 09:38 AM   #9
moddogs

I think I know what the problem is. Seems that I am getting excessive carbon scoring on the comm. Not sure what's causing it, excessive voltage or amps or what. I have to pull apart the motor after each run and sand off the carbon. Not fun, not to mention I risk breaking the tabs again.
Old 2005.06.04, 12:25 PM   #10
Ibrake Ifry

thats kind of happening to me too...not every run but i usually use an exacto knife if i can't get it off with a pencil eraser...comm drops help a little bit.
-something i've found is that when using lithium ions after a double or triple stack of fets(or a good turbo) motors tend to get really shifty. Sometimes the scoring of carbon gets so bad that my motors don't work or work at half speed! Like you said it is not fun !
Old 2005.06.06, 12:42 AM   #11
ph2t

This is strange, my plasmatomics don't wear out at the rate you guys have described.

What I suggest is to remove the brushes from the endbell (you can do this without pulling the motor apart, but I'm sure you fellas know that already).

Once they've been removed, bend them back into the retainer spring so they're not sticking out as much. You will find that you can bend them back a fair bit and they'll still have a respectable amount of surface tension against the commutator once installed.

See how you go.

ph2t.