Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2011.12.27, 06:24 AM   #1
BlackBerry

Best Handling MR03 ReadySet Body?

What is the best handling body that is available in the MR03 ReadySet? Would this also happen to be the best handling body in the entire Auto Scale collection?

On another note, what is the lightest Kyosho body?

Thanks,

BlackBerry
BlackBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.27, 07:54 AM   #2
chad508
PN Racing Team Driver

imo the only readyseats that handle out of the box are the lm chassis's
MBMZR
DG Designs
chad508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.27, 11:53 AM   #3
LED

Lightest body not taking in account 90mm bodys, I think the mclaren (the short one).
LED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.27, 03:24 PM   #4
twinkie

I didn't think MR-03 came as a "ready set" as in with transmitter. Thought it was just chassis and body.
twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.27, 04:10 PM   #5
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
The lightest Mini-Z body was the Z8. Then Mini-Cooper... 94mm wide body would probably be the F430, 98mm definitely the SLR, with a McLaren F1 LM close in 2nd. Weight may actually help the car run stable, and if you can modify your body, then you can remove excess weight easily.

I have moved away from lightweight bodies a bit, and started modifying the heavyweights (Mosler, Murcielago, etc) which I find gives me better results. Since the car is more planted, and has a lot of agility.

The best handling ASC really depends on the track and setup. If you are driving a box stock setup, then I would go with an LM Sauber. If you can upgrade the chassis, the Sauber is still good, but you may want to consider a long McLaren, or HSV for 98mm. The 430GT/360GTC need a little modification, but the F430 or F360 street bodies dont really require as much to make them race worthy. It is primarily the front lips on the race versions that rub the track/boards that need trimming.
Old 2011.12.27, 06:12 PM   #6
twinkie

people are also liking the Ferrari 599 for the 98mm
twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.27, 10:44 PM   #7
byebye

Mclaren is what I'm running on a stock chassis. Handling can be drastically improved with very few mods. In terms of stability at high speeds 98mm+ chassis length is good. Anything shorter will be more twitchy but is great for tight tracks with lots of turns. A very popular 94mm body is the sc430.

Out the box, tires, and water break-in the motor. Run an 7 or 8 tooth gear for good torque for a stock motor and fets.

Kris
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.28, 02:34 AM   #8
BlackBerry

Thanks for all the advice so far guys. After some research this is what the car will need to be setup for an ultimately decide which body I choose:

Open Class (no motor limit)
Rubber Tires
Urethane Track
33x18 Feet Size Track (approximate)

So high speed stability is important. Which motor mount style and wheelbase would best suit this environment and class?
Old 2011.12.28, 02:48 AM   #9
EMU
EMUracing

I would see if you could get a Mosler body, 98mm. It is the best body for new and expert racers alike. For motormount, there are many options. You can run a 94mm mount at 98mm, or a 98mm mount. The 98mm mounts usually have a lower CG. But a 94mm mount will give you a little more rear grip since the mass is further to the rear.

I would recommend the new Reflex Racing 945 mount, at 98mm. This is currently my favorite motormount to use
Old 2011.12.28, 09:32 AM   #10
bermbuster
GF Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBerry View Post
Thanks for all the advice so far guys. After some research this is what the car will need to be setup for an ultimately decide which body I choose:

Open Class (no motor limit)
Rubber Tires
Urethane Track
33x18 Feet Size Track (approximate)

So high speed stability is important. Which motor mount style and wheelbase would best suit this environment and class?
In open class racing along with high speed stability your chassis will need many hop ups to be competitive. You need to do some research. where are you racing? what is available at that track? what are the fast guys running?
You will need track and tuning time along with help to get your car dialed in.
You have many choices in hop ups....Atomic,Kyosho, PN, Reflex, 3r and others. Depending where you race some or all of the parts will be supported.
Be prepared to invest some $$$....

Like Emu said a 98mm wide chassis w and a Mosler Body is very competitive.
bermbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.28, 12:03 PM   #11
NoBrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermbuster View Post
Like Emu said a 98mm wide chassis w and a Mosler Body is very competitive.
Yes but not with stock motor, stock motor mount, stock dampers.....etc..etc...

So you would be just fine with an MR-03 as long as you buy some bearings, wheels and tires first.
Then go to you're local club and see what the other guys recommend for that track. Or just buy a MR-03 and then go to the track, see what they run on. Buy the bearings, wheels and tires there and try.

If theres a shop there, you might want to get some damping front and rear alså. That means springs or extra long king pins in the front. And t-plate and maybe a disk damper in the rear at first.

Go simple first. Slow and easy.

You are going to end up with a lot of mods if this is fun. I promise you....
Old 2011.12.28, 01:02 PM   #12
EMU
EMUracing

I would recommend seeing what racers use at the local track. Most of the time, it is the best way to get up to speed. Bearings are essential. Focus on the rear of the car first, and then the front. Once you get the rear to work well, then it is easier to work on the front. If you do both at once, you may get lost in finding the balance of the car.
Old 2011.12.28, 02:37 PM   #13
pomme de terre

Assuming you'll be racing at MC3, Shawn has the Murcielago and 599xx in stock right now. Both are popular racing bodies for mod and both are 98mm. The 599xx is a little better on the rails because of its rounder front end, and more stable because it's +3 offset all around. There's also a range of white bodies available at MC3 if you decide to change things up (or keep the pretty autoscale as a display body), including the Mosler.

To get started at the track, you won't need much besides Kyosho 20 deg rear tires and 30 deg fronts (it's the combo everyone runs). Come by and you'll get plenty of help from everyone at the track. Everyone's super friendly. Shawn's pricing on parts is really good too.

Last edited by pomme de terre; 2011.12.28 at 02:40 PM.
pomme de terre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.29, 04:49 PM   #14
BlackBerry

Thanks for all the input guys but it seems this thread has gone a WAY off topic. PLEASE read the title. I am not a new to the scale racing world.

All I was asking is which KYOSHO BODY handles best, and not necessarily in stock form. Not advice on tuning aspects of the car. Only reason I brought up motor mount positions is because from when I last raced my MR-01 years ago the body chosen would limit motor mount options/positions, I am not sure if this is still the case with the MR-03.

The reason I posted the track setup and class is to help determine which wheelbase is best (another factor determined by BODY choice).

I just am trying to decide which MR-03 Readyset to buy, and would prefer not to buy an auto scale afterwards to improve handling for now.

So lets please stay on topic. People keep mentioning Mosler, is this a Kyosho body or aftermarket? I would prefer to stick to a Kyosho body for now so it would come with the readyset I purchase.

Thanks for finding this thread btw Jon. Hopefully I'll swing by tomorrow.

Last edited by BlackBerry; 2011.12.29 at 04:56 PM.
Old 2011.12.29, 05:13 PM   #15
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

pomme seems to have your answer then...if you're racing at MC3 like he mentions it stands to reason his choices of 599XX and Murc seem like good choices.

I've watched some competitors also have good running success with The Honda HSV-010 body...very fast and stable once the front splitter is ground way down.

Other bodies I've had that perform well (that can be found on a readyset) are the ferrari F430GT and Nissan GT500 from the 2008 JTGC reproductions.

Right now I'm using a Porsche 911GT1 autoscale (you can find it in readyset form) which seems super stable at 90 and 94mm MidMount setup(I ground out the rear wheelwells) and glances off the walls smoothly without hooking.

The Sauber LMP body can come in readyset form and is wicked stable but a bit fragile.

Have I added too much information?

my custom body album (now that Photobucket sucks!)
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote