Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2004.03.14, 11:00 PM   #1
F1-ERNIE

North East Nat Mishap

Hi guys:

I'd first like to thank CP Raceway & Kyosho for holding a great day of racing. Special thanks to Dave ("cupcake"), the announcer, and all participants for their professional manner & sportsmanship (for the most part...). I personally finished 8th out of 22 competitors in the F1 field and had a great time doing so. All classes were exciting and fun-filled - from the high flying and crashing Overlands to the Porsche taking the Ferrari on the inside of the sweeper, or the 6 F1's flying into the first turn. The day was long but worth it (I only ran one class...so had a lot of wait time).

One thing needs to be brought up here though...CP Raceways lap counting system should have been used, at the very least, for a back-up to the piss poor Kyosho set-up. The winner of the B-Main,"F1"who would have bumped up to the A-Main along with the second place finisher in the B, was absolutely robbed. On his second lap, his transponder did not count and all racers could tell by the run down that was being given by the announcer. We were actually talking among ourselves as we were racing, about the mishap. And at the end, the number one finisher was actually counted as the last place finisher. All racers knew what had happened and Eric of CP Raceway pursued the issue with the Kyosho rep. It was quite obvious on the printout that he was put down one lap by mistake. The Kyosho rep, Alex, refused to go by what everyone saw (including his own eyes) and went by the transponder readouts, thereby robbing Tom of a chance at the A-Main. As if this was not bad enough, we now go to the A-Main. Ten laps into it, the race was black flagged and called for a restart. Once more the Kyosho system has failed us. The leader at this point, Jamie, with a half-track lead, was forced to give it all back due to the fact that his car did not count on lap two. On the restart, instead of being up a half lap, Jamie was involved in a first corner crash and within the first lap, was down a half lap. Through some very impressive driving over the next 7 minutes, he caught up and ended up with a trophy in his hand for third place. You could kind of say...from first to third, thanks to Kyosho's lack of professionalism in the lap counter/transponder department. The second place winner was another local fast guy, Gerd, Bill Crotty, Jr. took first. But, I doubt he would have come even close if it wasn't for the restart.

Other than this problem, which needs to be addressed, Kyosho and CP Raceway put on a kickass regional race and I can't wait for next year! By the way guys - they unveiled the first body in a series, "American Muscle" - a 427 Cobra - blue with white stripes - nothing but a windshield and rollbar on top, white side pipes on the side. I'm sure there will be more to come (hopefully a '64 Impala, several years of Corvettes, GTOs, GT 500 Mustangs, first & second generation Camaros, 442s, Superbirds, and if we're real lucky, some Lead Sleds from the 50's or maybe the best body they could ever put out - a 30's era Willies coupe).

Hopefully next year we'll have a class for those kick ass monsters and split this into a 2 day race running F1, Monster Trucks, & Overlands on one day, and Stock Mini Z, Open Mini Z, and MRO2 on the second day. With 88 competitors this year, and sure to be more next year, the 12 hours it took this year to complete, could be split into two days and everyone would be happier (especially if there is an extra class for the Monsters).

Yours Truly,

Passin Ya On The Inside - F1 Ernie
Old 2004.03.14, 11:32 PM   #2
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
the event at stampy's had similar transponder issues which resulted in runing the first 3 qualifiers over again. there were many unhappy campers

i to wish the races were spread out. especially for being an out of towner, it was a bit much to be there for 8-12 hours then get in a car for many more. if it were spread over 2 days as you mentioned i would have been more willing to enter more than one class. it would have given me more time to chat with members as well.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.03.14, 11:32 PM   #3
herman

great read... would love to see some pics...
and congratulations to all who participated...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.03.15, 09:46 AM   #4
latency
Mini-Z Race Junkie

Send a message via AIM to latency
Re: North East Nat Mishap

Quote:
Originally posted by F1-ERNIE

One thing needs to be brought up here though...CP Raceways lap counting system should have been used, at the very least, for a back-up to the piss poor Kyosho set-up. The winner of the B-Main,"F1"who would have bumped up to the A-Main along with the second place finisher in the B, was absolutely robbed. On his second lap, his transponder did not count and all racers could tell by the run down that was being given by the announcer. We were actually talking among ourselves as we were racing, about the mishap. And at the end, the number one finisher was actually counted as the last place finisher. All racers knew what had happened and Eric of CP Raceway pursued the issue with the Kyosho rep. It was quite obvious on the printout that he was put down one lap by mistake. The Kyosho rep, Alex, refused to go by what everyone saw (including his own eyes) and went by the transponder readouts, thereby robbing Tom of a chance at the A-Main.
That is too bad. Never fun when things don't go well, however, I am surprised at the above in regards to Alex, as this very same thing happened to me in the MR02 2nd qualifier at the Tom Thumb qualifier.

We had great results with the AMB system, but many things have to be considered. Even though we used the very same system you used at CP, the setup of the system has everything to do with it. When Mike set it up at Tom Thumb, he put the timing loop in the corrner of Turn 1. The reason for that, is you DO NOT want the loop where the cars are under full power. The AMB transponders need juice, and if you are on the gas full speed, the transponsders many times do not get enough power. Putting the timing loop in a section of the track where the racers are off the gas increases accuracy of the counting 100 fold.

The other potential is the software. I am not sure if CP used the AMB sofware, but we did not. At Tom Thumb, we utilized Autoscore I think. But the scenario you described above, is exactly what happened to me.

...in the second qualifier, we all had a close race. We swapped the lead several times, and we had a large number of spectators. When the half way mark came through, I was anounced as being a lap down in 4th place, when actually I was leading. All the racers at the line said "cant be right...he is not a lap down...he is our leader".

After the race was all said and done, Mike reviewed the time sheets, and all racers were called to the directors table. Looking at the lap times, it was evident, by looking at the lap that I missed a count on, that the next lap in sequence showed a 22 second lap time. My average lap time was around 9 something, so that would make sense. Since I did not count on the prior lap, the second lap should have been around the same time.

Even looking at the data, Mike did what was right, and asked all racers if they agreed. Alex supported it fully. The data does not lie.

I can't speak for your situation, it sounds like an unfortunate event. I just wanted to you let you know we had a similar issue, and Alex was more than fair, and understanding.

BMW M3 GTR MR02 PNRacing Speedy powered
Corvette C5R MR01 PNRacing Speedy powered
Cup Car conversion ChaserRC Stock Modified powered

KoPropo Helios 10EX
latency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.03.15, 10:16 AM   #5
F1-ERNIE

HHHMMM

A qualifier would be bad anuff but you could have raced your way in if it went against you.Here it was B main bump up and the A main.And your power remark hhhmmm counter was set up half way down main straight headin for a long sweeper.so all racers were balls out.
Old 2004.03.15, 12:57 PM   #6
2EZ
Mini Z Driver!

Send a message via AIM to 2EZ
Same thing happened at the Nats last year I would have missed a bumpup if the guys I was raceing with had not pointed out I was the leader. It is sad that things like this happen but I like the way fellow racers who know will speak out and correct the problem often at their own determent. Good sportsmanship makes the whole thing that much more fun. I am sorry i won't make the show this year! Me and DamZer realy had a ball last year.
Old 2004.03.15, 02:34 PM   #7
F1-ERNIE

just want to state

That i had a great time and the mishap was in no way cp mini raceways fault.Also i have heard that they may split next year into 2 days that would be great. Its big anuff for a 2 day race format.
Old 2004.03.17, 12:01 PM   #8
disruptor10

Cupcake !!!!!

Yup they were good,Uh huh i ate em...LMAO !!! All i can say is i hope u all had a good time in Clifton Park and i hope you all were not too tired of hearing me. It was a long day and we all survived !It was great............even though i don't race watchin all the action and being in the company of the countrys best mini z racers was awesome !!!!
Cupcake !
disruptor10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.03.18, 07:29 AM   #9
F1-ERNIE

lol

Dave thank you very much for doin the great job you allways do!!!We all owe to you the great time we had!Hopefully you will be there next year too.