Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2010.06.14, 01:20 PM   #46
Treadmule
Tire Crew

[QUOTE=pinwc4;386121]What OS are you using the software one, OSX, Linux or Windows?

Does it write the wrong values or it just does no write operation at all?

Using OSX 10.6.3. Tried it on a MacBook and a MacBook Pro, both with the same OS version and got the same results. It apparently doesn't write anything at all.

If I delete my old profiles and save new ones, I can write those to the car from he pop-up.
Old 2010.06.14, 07:23 PM   #47
pinwc4

[QUOTE=Treadmule;386146]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwc4 View Post
What OS are you using the software one, OSX, Linux or Windows?

Does it write the wrong values or it just does no write operation at all?

Using OSX 10.6.3. Tried it on a MacBook and a MacBook Pro, both with the same OS version and got the same results. It apparently doesn't write anything at all.

If I delete my old profiles and save new ones, I can write those to the car from he pop-up.
Very odd, I tried profiles and opening and closing the program and they write successfully. Do you have maybe a simple set of steps that you can take to reproduce the problem? Maybe you could send me your database file, fsicsdb, and I could try replicating the problem with your setup.
pinwc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.06.14, 11:15 PM   #48
Treadmule
Tire Crew

Well, it's no longer an issue for me. I deleted my old profiles on both Macs and created new ones, so it's all working fine now. If my report is the only one, and you can't duplicate it, then it was probably something about my procedure or equipment that brought it on. For the record, here's an outline of the way I connect, so if you see anything wrong with it, please let me know:

- connect to the car, then connect to the computer
- use pairing stick (toothpick in my case) on the button on the PCB and turn on the car
- notice the bright red LED on the PCB is lit
- run your software
- verify the port connection
- verify the correct car-type
- read button
- select a profile from the pop-up
- write button
- default button
- read button
- verify the settings that just came from the car - some setting should be different unless the car is set for default.

That's the way I do it.
Old 2010.06.15, 10:37 AM   #49
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadmule View Post
Well, it's no longer an issue for me. I deleted my old profiles on both Macs and created new ones, so it's all working fine now. If my report is the only one, and you can't duplicate it, then it was probably something about my procedure or equipment that brought it on. For the record, here's an outline of the way I connect, so if you see anything wrong with it, please let me know:

- connect to the car, then connect to the computer
- use pairing stick (toothpick in my case) on the button on the PCB and turn on the car
- notice the bright red LED on the PCB is lit
- run your software
- verify the port connection
- verify the correct car-type
- read button
- select a profile from the pop-up
- write button
- default button
- read button
- verify the settings that just came from the car - some setting should be different unless the car is set for default.

That's the way I do it.
Good to know that resolved it but now that I think about it further I did fix a bug in previous versions that could cause the program to have a wrong default value for the header when the program was first opened. Most operations such as setting the car type or clicking the default button would set the value correctly. I think that bad value may have been written to your profile and so even though the new version no longer had the bug the program would use the bad value from the database.

Your process that you follow is good. Thanks for the help.
Old 2010.10.03, 02:08 PM   #50
saddad

hi jeremy ,
i've got the usb cable & software but i'm having trouble getting any thing to happen (windows vista 32 bit) when i plug the cable in i can se it in device manager (shows as a usb serial port #1) but every thing i tried doesnt seem to change any setings (i've followd all the advice i can find on here hold in pairing button turn on car red led lights plug lead into computer start software read change value write change value back then read again but nothing changes)if i turnthe car on with out doing anythin else the pairing lamp comes on & flashes any suggestion ?
saddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.03, 07:47 PM   #51
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddad View Post
hi jeremy ,
i've got the usb cable & software but i'm having trouble getting any thing to happen (windows vista 32 bit) when i plug the cable in i can se it in device manager (shows as a usb serial port #1) but every thing i tried doesnt seem to change any setings (i've followd all the advice i can find on here hold in pairing button turn on car red led lights plug lead into computer start software read change value write change value back then read again but nothing changes)if i turnthe car on with out doing anythin else the pairing lamp comes on & flashes any suggestion ?
My first thought is if you have a serial port higher than 1 (usually COM3 or higher) try that instead. It is very rare that a USB serial device would be COM1. Depending on the ICS adapter you are using you may need to install a driver for Windows to fully recognize it as well. If you do not have a COM3 or higher most likely you are going to need to install a driver.
Old 2010.10.12, 09:56 PM   #52
Treadmule
Tire Crew

MR-03 - another surprise setting

Refer to this earlier post for background:
Today I received a BNIB MR-03 chassis set that I bought from the store here on their special. I took it out of the box, put some batteries in it, hooked it up to my Mac, powered it up with the pair button and launched the Flip Side ICS software. After setting up for the MR03 chassis, I immediately read the settings from chassis to see how it was set from the factory (I assume...). Then I hit the "Default" button to see if anything changed - and it did.

The Dead Band setting from the factory was set as "Narrow" while the default shows "Middle". All else was the same with no changes.

So, just to verify, I quit the program and ran the KO Propo ICSTuner software for Mac and it showed exactly the same scenario.

I still don't know what to make of this, but it's mildly unsettling

Last edited by Treadmule; 2010.10.13 at 08:38 PM.
Treadmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.13, 02:03 PM   #53
pinwc4

Quote:
Refer to prior post #33 for background:
Today I received a BNIB MR-03 chassis set that I bought from the store here on their special. I took it out of the box, put some batteries in it, hooked it up to my Mac, powered it up with the pair button and launched the Flip Side ICS software. After setting up for the MR03 chassis, I immediately read the settings from chassis to see how it was set from the factory (I assume...). Then I hit the "Default" button to see if anything changed - and it did.

The Dead Band setting from the factory was set as "Narrow" while the default shows "Mid". All else was the same with no changes.

So, just to verify, I quit the program and ran the KO Propo ICSTuner software for Mac and it showed exactly the same scenario.

I still don't know what to make of this, but it's mildly unsettling
Treadmule, thanks for this information it is interesting. First I did not know that Ko Propo made an ICS program compatible for the Mac. I had only looked at the Kyosho software. I guess I did not need to write my own app then. Oh well it was a useful learning experience regardless.

In regards to the factory settings I based my default settings on what the Kyosho software would send as a reset command for the MR-03. It seems odd that the cars would be coming from the factory with a different set of settings.

This along with your post #33 where you got an ASF car with custom settings is very strange. I have to wonder if these cars are always coming with a setup that is not the same as the default the ICS program would send?

Maybe I just need to change my programs defaults to reflect what is actually being shipped instead of based on the Kyosho software.

Has anyone else seen this behavior and did you get the same settings out of the box as Treadmule? I wish I bought cars often enough so I would notice something like this.............

Also are people getting value from this ICS program? I have heard almost no feedback even though I see around 30 downloads a month of the app.
Old 2010.10.13, 03:05 PM   #54
Treadmule
Tire Crew

Quote:
... First I did not know that Ko Propo made an ICS program compatible for the Mac. I had only looked at the Kyosho software. I guess I did not need to write my own app then. Oh well it was a useful learning experience regardless...
You were first, actually. The KO Propo version came out in early July. If you haven't taken a look at it, you might be surprised at how similar it is to your software.

Quote:
Maybe I just need to change my programs defaults to reflect what is actually being shipped instead of based on the Kyosho software.
I don't know who is the "lead horse" is here, whether it's Kyosho or KO Propo, but if they're both using the same default settings, I'd stick with whatever they're doing. I'll post about this in KO Propo's vendor area and see what they have to say about it.
Old 2010.10.13, 03:50 PM   #55
pinwc4

Quote:
You were first, actually. The KO Propo version came out in early July. If you haven't taken a look at it, you might be surprised at how similar it is to your software.
I just took a look and you are right, the similarities are a little suspicious. Though I can not take that much credit as I used the Kyosho software as a reference myself so there are going to be similarities. But it does look like I motivated Ko Propo to do better

I really wish Ko Propo and Kyosho would take their software more seriously. Computers are integral to parts of our hobby but neither company had been investing in that aspect. I am just 1 person doing this on the side. I started with 0 knowledge of ICS and it only took a days worth of work to build my own adapter, figure out the protocol, all the different car model differences and actually write a functional cross platform program. Hopefully this is a sign that they will be investing more time towards programming.

Quote:
I don't know who is the "lead horse" is here, whether it's Kyosho or KO Propo, but if they're both using the same default settings, I'd stick with whatever they're doing. I'll post about this in KO Propo's vendor area and see what they have to say about it.
Let us know what you discover. Thanks for the help

Last edited by pinwc4; 2010.10.13 at 03:54 PM.
Old 2013.10.09, 07:07 PM   #56
babstar
Babstar

Can't get it to work on Mac osX

Hi,

I'm trying to get the software to work on mac osx however I seem to get no results. Software doesn't read or write at all. What i've done so far is install the ICS software, the FTDI drivers for mac osx (latest version) and followed the steps described above by Treadmule.

I know for certain that my chassis has non default settings because a while back I changed them on a windows machine with the standard software. But any port I choose nothing seems to happen, so it looks like its not reading.

Any idea's on which port I should be on?

btw I already checked in the sys info and the OS does recognize the ICS USB device.

*EDIT* I guess I have a driver issue, can't get the FTDI drivers to register in my OS. Also i don't see that these drivers already support osx 10.8.

Thanks
▪ MR03 TRP Renault Megane Stock
▪ MR-015 Group A Skyline
▪ Dnano Porsche GT

Last edited by babstar; 2013.10.09 at 07:59 PM.
babstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.15, 11:38 PM   #57
gustavol

Hi dude, you can fix the svn?

Thanks.
gustavol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.18, 10:09 PM   #58
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavol View Post
Hi dude, you can fix the svn?

Thanks.
It has been fixed. Sorry about that, moved things around on the server but forgot to update the links.
Old 2014.04.28, 05:56 AM   #59
huge

Hello,
i just made my own Bluetooth ICS Dongle based on an Arduino HC-06 BT-Module, unfortunatedly i cant establish a connection with your ICS Manager, i allways get the error, cant open port (Tried with COM 7, and COM 28). I am running the windows version. Same with the Kopropo sw.

My BT-Dongle itself works fine, tested with Android and Kyoshos pc software. I dont like neither of the software used because of the language, i only get so see strange signs.

Do you have any idea why is this hapening? Or how could i fix this?
Thank you!

By the way, great projects!

EDIT: I tried on a MAC from a freind, it worked. Still no success on the windows version. Error opening the selected Port!! Please HELP!!!!!

Last edited by huge; 2014.04.30 at 01:58 PM.
huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.05.09, 05:24 AM   #60
akura2
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE

Send a message via Skype™ to akura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwc4 View Post
It has been fixed. Sorry about that, moved things around on the server but forgot to update the links.

I know this thread is old, but do you still make the ICS cable??