Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2009.06.30, 01:28 PM   #1
ianc

Can anyone identify the 2.4 steering FET's?

Hi folks,

I had an unfortunate incident a couple days ago with a brand new AWD board I was preparing for an MRCG and have blown both of what I believe to be the steering FET's on it.

They are the two chips labelled 08 & 09 on the PCB in the attached photo. The chips themselves are labelled M04, and are in a 6-pin package which is rather smaller than the 3010 motor FET's to their right.

Can anybody recommend a source for a replacement for this part? Here's hoping...

Thanks for the help,

ianc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.4 Board Bottom - MZ303_6.jpg (255.0 KB, 358 views)
ianc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.30, 03:48 PM   #2
davskee

I have a 2.4 board that has lifted pads for the forward and reverse fets but all other chips are fine. If intrested I can sell you it.
davskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.30, 04:18 PM   #3
davskee

Can you post a picture of the otherside of the board please.
Old 2009.06.30, 04:23 PM   #4
davskee

What exactly is the issue with this board?
Old 2009.06.30, 04:25 PM   #5
ianc

Here's the other side. Sorry about the size of the images...

ianc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.4 Board Top - MZ303_5.jpg (296.7 KB, 330 views)
Old 2009.06.30, 04:26 PM   #6
ianc

Quote:
What exactly is the issue with this board?
Hi Davskee,

The pictured board is not mine, just a couple pics I happened to have.

On my board both of the six pin FET's identified in the first pic are blown. I saw smoke, have no steering, and both FET's are blistered and bubbled on the top,

ianc
Old 2009.06.30, 04:29 PM   #7
davskee

Your mailbox is full and cannot recieve anymore messages. Well let me know if you need my board or not. Im usually at one of the local bay area mini-z tracks on friday and saturday.
Old 2009.06.30, 04:32 PM   #8
ianc

Quote:
Your mailbox is full and cannot recieve anymore messages.
Hey, I just got an email to that effect, and have gone and cleaned it out, so please PM again. Good to know you are in the bay area... Thanks again,

ianc
Old 2009.06.30, 05:01 PM   #9
davskee

Where do you guys race your mini-z's out there in Navoto? If theres a store that has a track Id like to try it one time. Do you have a picture of the track or the name of the shop?
Old 2009.06.30, 08:43 PM   #10
ianc

Quote:
Where do you guys race your mini-z's out there in Navoto?
We have been racing in my garage actually...

But the closest hobby shop with a track is Hobby Town in Petaluma,

ianc
Old 2009.06.30, 10:55 PM   #11
herman

hmm... that's something... blown steering fets on an asf board... how'd you happen to do that? what motor were you running? did you have any stacked fets on your board?

thanks for the pics... although i do have an asf... i haven't gotten around to actually open it up and see what it looks on the inside...

i noticed that the asf doesn't have a ''steering pot'' that you can adjust to center steering like on the previous boards. although i haven't read anything on this, i was just wondering what happens if you max out the steering trim and still can't get it to center...

also got a newbie asf stacking question... where do you stack? the top (with the wires) or on the bottom (without the wires)... thinking that the bottom is the more logical choice, but as a newbie asf stacker... i'm not that sure...

wish i could be of some help...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.01, 01:30 AM   #12
davskee

you usually stack the bottom but if you need to stack the top you need to do some shaving.
Old 2009.09.10, 03:50 PM   #13
ianc

Just a bump for this thread. I still have a 2.4 board that needs new steering FET's, so if anyone knows a replacement chip that will work, please let me know. Thanks,

ianc
Old 2009.09.10, 07:05 PM   #14
color01

I'm taking a look at a couple supplier websites for you, Ian... but haven't found anything so far. I don't even know if M04 is the FET designation or the package type, as both exist. M04-packaged chips seem to only have 4 legs though so it may not be right. The most reasonable match I've found so far is an NE3508M04 chip (N-channel only... huh) made by NEC. http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...NE3508M04-A-ND And that's even only assuming that those two chips really are FETs (they probably are given that they seem to connect to the servo motor wires, but you never know till you find the exact replacement).

Have you taken the chips off the board to see which legs are used/necessary? It might help in the search.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog

Last edited by color01; 2009.09.10 at 07:08 PM.
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.09.14, 04:21 PM   #15
ianc

Hi Brian,

Thanks for that link, but the chip pictured there appears to have only 4 legs, so it would probably not be a suitable replacement?

I have not removed the FET's from the board, no. How would this allow me to see which legs are used\necessary? They all appear to be soldered on... Not sure I really understand the question here...

A friend of mine who works at an electronics house also tried looking for 'M04', but didn't come up with anything. He even went so far as to order a couple of these and try soldering them on, but they didn't work:

http://www.icwic.net/icwic/data/pdf/...Ts/d/95099.pdf

I ran into this issue when trying to make an S3114 servo work with the 2.4 board for the MRCG. I followed the directions in your tut on how to wire it, hooked it up to the board and *fizz* went the steering FET's. Everything appears to check out as far as function of the servo, so not really sure what went wrong, and don't have another board to test with, so the MRCG is going nowhere for the moment until I can find replacement chips for the steering FET's and repair the board. I even wrote to Kyosho asking them, but of course haven't heard back. Am not holding my breath on that one...

ianc