Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2006.11.22, 08:33 AM   #1
HighFreq

Atomic 98mm extension

I just got the 98mm extension for the AWD but i forgot to order the 98mm shaft. Can i run the extension with a 94mm shaft? Is it better to glue the gear to the shaft?

Corrado
HighFreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.11.22, 09:16 AM   #2
bnwhtlw
i heart oversteer

Send a message via AIM to bnwhtlw
I dont thnik you need a longer shaft, you just need the 98mm pinions. Glueing the gears to the shaft sounds like a bad idea to me.
bnwhtlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.11.22, 11:45 AM   #3
albkirk

Hello,

I'm using my ATM 98mm kit with the original driveshaft.
When I change the pinion gear I must have to push the driveshaft from the front side, or else the pinion pulloff!
But after push it to the right place, I have no problem, even with my Z2 motor.
albkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.12.15, 10:34 AM   #4
GrfxDan
RacerTag: Drinian

Send a message via AIM to GrfxDan Send a message via MSN to GrfxDan Send a message via Yahoo to GrfxDan
Durability

How's the durability of the Atomic 98mm extension kit gears? I purchased the PN Racing extension kit when it first came out and the gears were made of such a soft material that the inside of the spur gears (where the driveshaft goes) were all stripped after a few hours of racing. I was very disappointed and have been waiting for 98mm aluminum gears to become available. Has anyone had this problem with the atomic gears?
GrfxDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.12.15, 09:09 PM   #5
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Go with the Atomic 98 mm gears. There MUCH better than Pn gears.

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.12.17, 10:54 AM   #6
wsaenotsock

My rear end is starting to click when getting back into the throttle. The PN spur gear is getting wore down and skips a tooth when coming out of a turn. I'm switching to Atomic gears.
wsaenotsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.12.17, 12:22 PM   #7
GrfxDan

Send a message via AIM to GrfxDan Send a message via MSN to GrfxDan Send a message via Yahoo to GrfxDan
I went through all 3 sizes of the PN spur gears in one night of racing. They all wore done very quickly and began clicking constantly. I've got some Atomic gears and an atomic 98mm center shaft on order. I'll be trying them the next time we race.
Old 2006.12.17, 02:26 PM   #8
supafastsupra2

Send a message via AIM to supafastsupra2 Send a message via MSN to supafastsupra2
does the 98mm center shaft allow you to use the 94mm pinions?
supafastsupra2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.12.17, 02:43 PM   #9
GrfxDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafastsupra2
does the 98mm center shaft allow you to use the 94mm pinions?
Hmmm, that's a good question. When I get mine I'll try it and repost. In the meantime if anyone else knows, please reply.
Old 2006.12.17, 04:24 PM   #10
HighFreq

With 98mm shaft you can still use 94mm pinions since the main gear is in the same place, it's only longer.
HighFreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.01.02, 02:48 PM   #11
GrfxDan

I installed the new atomic gears along with an Atomic 98mm center shaft. The gears work great but the center shaft was actually about 4mm too long. The atomic gears would only take about 8mm of the longer center shaft (4mm more than the stock gears will) and the shaft was about 8mm longer than a stock shaft. I finally got out the Dremel and cut it down so it would work (4mm longer than a stock center shaft). It does appear to be more stable than a stock center shaft since more of the shaft goes into the longer 98mm gears.
Old 2007.01.02, 08:46 PM   #12
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

I just have the 98mm gears with normal sized drive shaft. Im thinking that if you use the 98mm drive shaft, you probably use normal gears not 98mm gears. I think?

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.01.02, 09:54 PM   #13
GrfxDan

You have to use the longer 98mm gears when you have an extension kit installed.

If you put a normal gear on a normal shaft with the extension kit installed, the gear touches the pinion gear but not the rear differential.

If you put a normal gear on a 98mm center shaft with the extension kit installed, the gear touches the differential but not the pinion gear.

The normal gears are too short when the 98mm extension kit is installed. The space between the pinion gear and the rear differential is greater than the length of the stock gears.

Last edited by GrfxDan; 2007.01.02 at 09:57 PM.
Old 2007.01.02, 11:40 PM   #14
pomme de terre

You would use 98mm gears with the 98mm shaft. The 98mm gears also work with the stock shaft.

Problem with the stock shaft is that not that much of it goes INTO the 98mm gear, so the gear can wobble a lot. The point of the 98mm shaft is for the shaft to go into the spur gear more, helping eliminate the wobble.
pomme de terre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.01.03, 04:34 PM   #15
cembom

I had never even heard of a 98mm shaft i thought u just use the longer shaft pinion. also the f430 body doesnt need the longer wheel base does it? and do you recomend the lay down adapter?
cembom is offline   Reply With Quote