Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2008.07.29, 11:34 PM   #1
Action B
The Galliant Dude

Can the AWD be HFAY competitive?

I find myself frustrated when I think of the MA-010's potential performance in HFAY. It seems to me as if the rules efficiently nullify the AWD benefits while emphasizing its weaknesses. Tell me what you think! Here is how I see it...

The main advantage of the AWD is
-good cornering

main Disadvantage
-less efficient due to increased friction and weight

It seems Hfay tracks are very simple, and quite frequently not so technical, this nullifies the AWD's main advantage of having good cornering.

The increased friction on awd and weight. Hfay has a strict motor rule. Thus, although AWD do typically have more weight and frictional drag, there is a limit to how fast of a motor someone would even want in a car. I would imagine that the drag and weight difference is dealt with in modified classes by running a faster motor than would be appropriate in a MR-02. This cannot be done in HFAY.

Also, the design of the motor.... . It appears the HFAY motor design neglects the mounting direction of the motor in MA-010 cars. It leaves the cooling vents facing toward the chassis with the smaller vents down bottom... which might I add have a sticker over them that is not supposed to be taken off, so it essentially acts as a non-vented motors in AWD cars.

Given the situation, how does a MA-010 gain an advantage in HFAY over MR-02? So far it seems impossible to me. Though, I guess I'm hardheaded because its the only car I own.

Concerned about sending off your precious Mini-Z? Don't be!

Last edited by Action B; 2008.07.29 at 11:44 PM.
Action B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.30, 02:32 AM   #2
Tjay

Action:

HFAY is such a small track with very minimal straight away/s. Everything else is a hooking turn. With an AWD you should be able to cut the corners faster that a 2wd.

Corner speed is faster... Top speed is the same. You just have to gear it right. Also the race is only 8-10 mins.
Tjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.30, 04:06 AM   #3
mk2kompressor
at the Bleeding Edge

i have no problem beating mr02's in hfay with my awd,top speed is the same with the new motor.
it doesnt have the same cooling on the awd but dont forget the open endbell.
once setup properly it is superior,when the first results of the new season come out,look right at the top and expect onrailz to be there somewhere with his awd
HFAY S9 F1 Winner
Sinister V1
MRCG Prototype
MRCG 1.0
The uk's premier shop for mini-z
Bleeding Edge Racing UK
mk2kompressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.30, 04:41 AM   #4
Jonny

HFAY Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2kompressor View Post
i have no problem beating mr02's in hfay with my awd
Sorry, I couldn't resist replying to that quote! Quite a statement considering...

Also, remember the previous HFAY leaders would paste a lot of guys competing even with an '02.

I think the simple answer is that the AWD can be competitive WHEN properly setup. It may take more money and time than an '02 but the performance is there.

Jonny
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.30, 05:00 AM   #5
defcone

What covers do you guys use in competitions? Is the Le Mans Porche shell any good?
defcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.30, 05:20 AM   #6
mk2kompressor
at the Bleeding Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Sorry, I couldn't resist replying to that quote! Quite a statement considering...

Also, remember the previous HFAY leaders would paste a lot of guys competing even with an '02.

I think the simple answer is that the AWD can be competitive WHEN properly setup. It may take more money and time than an '02 but the performance is there.

Jonny

thought you would chime in and take the bait
its took a long time to get the formula right,its there now...be afraid
HFAY S9 F1 Winner
Sinister V1
MRCG Prototype
MRCG 1.0
Bleeding Edge Racing UK
Old 2008.07.30, 06:13 AM   #7
Jonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2kompressor View Post
thought you would chime in and take the bait
its took a long time to get the formula right,its there now...be afraid
Well I'm never one that likes ringing my own bell. I just set it up and drive it, some days it works, others it doesn't. I know I can drive and that's good enough for me. But whichever side the flag falls, I'm keen to remember that it's all good fun!

Most Mini Z chassis with the right setup, in the right hands can be put on the podium.

Jonny
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.30, 07:16 AM   #8
hrdrvr
MBMZR

Ive never raced in HFAY, but our track isnt much bigger. We try and set up flowing but techy at the same time. The AWD is superior IMO, if set up properly. I also dont think it takes much to set up and AWD, like a lot of people say/think. When we first got our RCP, I wanted to see how I would do on a HFAY layout. I ran layout number 5 and was within a second or so of Hoods leading time. I wonder why its still not posted as I submitted it a long time ago Anyway, as a test I kept one car nearly box stock to race here with the locals. I had ceramic bearings, wheels/tires, a rear composite diff, and alloy swing shafts. I was running stock knuckles, and stock springs, and the stock motor. In 94mm config running the 360GPC, this was a very stable and neutral set up, while being responsive and holding plenty of corner speed (well plenty for a stock motor ).

LET's Go Racing!
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.30, 11:56 AM   #9
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdrvr View Post
I ran layout number 5 and was within a second or so of Hoods leading time. I wonder why its still not posted as I submitted it a long time ago
I don't remember receiving a time from you? I did post all times that I had. Can you send it back in if you have it and I'll get it added.
Old 2008.07.30, 12:23 PM   #10
Action B
The Galliant Dude

Well trust me this is what I want to hear, but how come HFAY times don't show a lot of MA-010 cars in the higher ranks? Also, please tell me what gear ratio your using. I'm using 19/29.

Most the guys in the DC GTG run MR-02, I think they have implied that the MR-02 is a superior platform. I'd like to hear what some of those guys or other MR-02 drivers think about this.

Concerned about sending off your precious Mini-Z? Don't be!

Last edited by Action B; 2008.07.30 at 12:28 PM.
Action B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.30, 12:30 PM   #11
mk2kompressor
at the Bleeding Edge

with the new motor 17/31 and intellect 750(best)or duracell 1000
just look at onrailz times,i know he probably practices each track at his club but still good times
HFAY S9 F1 Winner
Sinister V1
MRCG Prototype
MRCG 1.0
Bleeding Edge Racing UK
Old 2008.07.30, 04:03 PM   #12
Hood
Corvette Killer

I am a top 10 HFAY driver, most days..

I mainly run my 02 car because it is faster, lighter, and less prone to breakage..

Last season, I had some mechanical issues with a servo motor going bad and ended up running 4 different cars in the 5 events. I did run my AWD car in one event, and finished in both directions with 90+ laps. Some of my best overall runs in four seasons.

The AWD is competitive, it just takes some work. Look for the thread in HFAY where I asked ONRAILZ to give us some pointers. They obviously helped my car get alot better.

Thanks again, ONRAILZ..
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.30, 04:49 PM   #13
Tjay

Quote:
I am top 10 HFAY driver
Wow! I want to see HFAY's fast drivers... vids please .
Old 2008.07.30, 05:25 PM   #14
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjay View Post
Wow! I want to see HFAY's fast drivers... vids please .
hey Tjay, you should get you club to run, then you'll know !!
Old 2008.07.30, 06:18 PM   #15
Tjay

I'm working on it Brian . You have know idea how bad I want my name on that HFAY of yours. hehehe...