Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2014.09.05, 01:28 PM   #16
LED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
2. this is what i've been planning to do but i've been lazy all week to tear it apart to see what it's doing. i'm really thinking it's the wires from the board to the servo components that's loose, possibly the neg/pos wire

3. i'll be sure to check the antenna as well.

thanks!!
Maybe if you were a little less lazy you didnt need this thread...
LED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.05, 02:50 PM   #17
Sammich

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
As I mentioned before. Bring it with you on the 13th. We will sort it out.
i doubt i'm going to make it, besides i hate to come that way with one car and not be able to fix it. thanks tho Mike.

Quote:
drunk driving is not cool, unless it's with Mini-Z's.
Sammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.05, 02:53 PM   #18
Sammich

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco_losi View Post
Hi Sammich,

Just one remark, I had issues with servo wires lately, the steering got crazy but the 03 is still alive! Also I ran my 03 without antenna :-) Still working.
SC on motor? the FET would burn...

In my opinion the issue is coming from the PLCC who need a reflow. Why? Because you said the issue was appearing while running so I guess the temperature has an effect. All the components on the PCB are qualified for running in high temperature (you bet :-)), so assuming there is no obvious SC due to lose wire, the only thing I see is a component which is getting unsoldered.
What component on the PCB is more likely to get unsoldered? The first one is the FET and the second one is the main IC in PLLC package.

Now you confirmed me that the whole car electronic seems dead, no LED, no steering, no engine, so I'd go for the IC in the PLCC.

Of course, before running for that conclusion let's carry out the trials mentioned earlier (verify the wire, connections and so one...).
Just a little advise, in case two connections seems very close, even if they are not touching each other, I would run a fine sharp blade between them to delimit the space. It'll remove any doubt on any weak connection.

Let us know your findings ;-)
i'm sure i understood generally 75-80% of this post...i'm pretty new to RCs in general in dealing with tinkering with them

what's:

SC
PCB
IC
PLCC

today seems like an ideal day to check this car out and take it apart, that's if i dont work on my real car today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LED View Post
Maybe if you were a little less lazy you didnt need this thread...
ok..

Quote:
Old 2014.09.05, 08:04 PM   #19
Sammich

I was trying to upload a pic of the board but the upload kept failing. But I have it apart and the only wire that appears to have a possible bad connection is the blue wire to the far 'passenger side' of the car. ...I believe, from the abbreviation and following the wire it's the negative steering wire.

Would that wire make the entire car to shut off, because it seems like it'd just be failed steering to me. Everything else seems fine though

Quote:
Old 2014.09.06, 02:33 AM   #20
marco_losi

SC=Short Circuit
PCB=Printed Circuit Board
IC=Integrated Circuit
PLCC=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_carrier

"Would that wire make the entire car to shut off, because it seems like it'd just be failed steering to me. Everything else seems fine though"
=> re-solder it and give it a try. Though I don't think it's the culprit.
Please tell me what was the result.
marco_losi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.06, 06:08 AM   #21
Sammich

Will do and thanks for the break down

Quote:
Old 2014.09.06, 06:14 AM   #22
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Bryan. It doesn't seem to be a short circuit but an intermittent open circuit. probably in the switch by-pass. If not there maybe in the cross chassis connection. Albert recently lost one to a lifted tab that had been soldered instead of screwed to the chassis.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.07, 07:56 PM   #23
Sammich

Thanks for the heads up. I went to the shop today but wasn't planning to so I left home without the chassis to test it out in any capacity. Maybe next weekend

Quote:
Old 2015.11.16, 05:46 PM   #24
Mike Keely

My money is on the switch like Mike said. When you open the top cover solder across the two white wires on the right side of the board. Those two wires go to the switch. With the solder going across those two wires it jumps the switch out. After you solder it try and run the car, if it does not do it again you found the issue. If it still happens then you can remove the solder from across those two wires.
Old 2016.03.28, 03:36 PM   #25
Mike Keely

Bump to the top