Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2008.03.07, 09:19 AM   #1
Rune
Mini-Z Norway

Best racing body

This topic has been up before, but I was hoping for some updated info since there are a lot of old and new bodies avaiable at the time.

What are the preferred autoscale body for the non pro driver?

What autoscale body's do the pro's use in racing?

I see some are talking highly of the 360GTC and the Lexus SC430, but are there others that are as good as those?
Rune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.07, 09:43 AM   #2
ocean rodeo

I would imagine that set up plays a larger roll in hook up than the bodies for these little cars. I like the NSX style bodies or pan cars. Although the Ferrari FXX looks killer.
ocean rodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.07, 09:51 AM   #3
enzo1978

in regards to the Ferrari FXX, I ran the body the night I got it. I must say that I handles well considering that it is longer than the ENZO. My favorite will always be the Murcielago body.
1 F1 Mclaren
1xAWD
enzo1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.07, 10:14 AM   #4
Ninja
Mechanic

Send a message via MSN to Ninja Send a message via Yahoo to Ninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean rodeo View Post
I would imagine that set up plays a larger roll in hook up than the bodies for these little cars.
that statement is not true. The body shell you choose makes a big impact on the handeling of your vehicle. These bodies are a good bit of the weight of the Z, (disregard batteries) and weight distribution is the key to a well balanced Race Car. A good balanced car will handle better and corner faster despite length and height differences. I prefer the lower and wider bodies for stability. Examples are Enzo, FXX, Pan Car, VDS II, 360 GTC, 575 GTC, Corvette C5R, Motul Pitwork Skyline, Calsonic Skyline, Diablo VT, and Murcialago. all of these bodies are wide, all of them are capable of +2 offset or more in the rear, and front ranging from +1 to +3. They are all really well balanced and have a low overall height. I am currently racing a Mustang GT body, +1 offset front, and +3 offset rear. I know the stock are 0 front and +1 rear, but this body isnt as wide as I like, and needed the extra offset to get it to handle the way I like it.

TIP: when going to a wider offset front, if the tires rub the top of the fender when the suspension is compressed, add camber to pull the top of the tire inside the lip, and if you rub a wall, and it pulls your tire off of the wheel, add a little toe-in to prevent that.

I already run toe-in and camber on my car, so more was not needed.
I am a FIRM believer in "Run what ya brung"......Unless it's your MOUTH!!!
Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.07, 07:57 PM   #5
schmenzer
Zoom, Zoom

If you are still prone to rubbing walls like I am the bodies with a nice rounded front that glance off the rail instead of sticking are a big plus. I am running the Ford GT and really like it. The McLaren too. I have also run some of the hot 94mm bodies like the 350Z, Lexus 430 and the NSX and they are faster for sure but I am still not as consistent and those cool little wings can really catch a rail goofing up any advantage. I am still at the point of liking the consistency of a 98mm body. A few more weeks of running 2,000 plus laps though and I'll be on board with the quicker handling and precision of the 94s.

For my money the most consistent body I've driven is the Enzo. Very forgiving to newbie mistakes.

Here is how I know I am beginning to run fast lines. I don't nerf the outside rail much any more. It is when I turn in just a tad early and hit the apex too soon that I goof up now! A shorter track is faster even if that straight seems slower!

Greg
Mini Speedway
Old 2008.03.07, 08:10 PM   #6
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I have tried many bodies, and these are my favorites (ranked from left to right). Of course, the track that I race on will have different grip characteristics.

94mm: Corvette C5R, Lexus SC430, 350Z Super GT, Audi A4 DTM, F430, F360, F50
98mm: SLR, FXX, Enzo, Murcielago, McLaren F1

I do a lot of customization to my bodies. Remove anything that may snag the boards on the front end, or rub a wheel inside of the body. I also remove the non visible windshield area under the roof of the car.
Old 2008.03.07, 08:12 PM   #7
Rune
Mini-Z Norway

Thanks for the answers so far.
I know that there are massive handling differences between bodies. I like the handling on the SC430 for a race distance, but have noticed that I am slightly faster with the 360GTC on one lap. (about 0,1 second)

The SC430 seems to be a little more stable and forgiving than the 360GTC body, but the body roll on the 360 makes it a little bit faster trough the slow parts on our track.

Are there any other bodies that are similar in handling to these? I like it when there are a lot of different cars on the track. The NSX 2005, 360GTC and Lexus is the body of choice on our track these days, so I would like to try something else.

I am definitely faster both in qual and race with 94mm than 98mm. I am also more consistent with 94mm.

Last edited by Rune; 2008.03.07 at 08:25 PM.
Old 2008.03.07, 08:23 PM   #8
Rune
Mini-Z Norway

This is the track we are racing on.

It is located over my garage. The track is on an area of 6,5m X 4,2m, and are about 22 meters long. The lanewith are max 130cm (51 inches), and min 75cm (30 inches) wide.
Lap-Z timing. Regupol surface (rubber with very good grip).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2135 (Large).JPG (103.0 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2139 (Large).JPG (89.9 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2137 (Large).JPG (66.3 KB, 131 views)

Last edited by Rune; 2008.03.14 at 02:32 PM.
Old 2008.03.07, 09:07 PM   #9
Ninja
Mechanic

Send a message via MSN to Ninja Send a message via Yahoo to Ninja
I have some regupol here next to me, and it does make a great surface. At times I can get it in large quantity for free. I wish I had room to make a setup like that to practice on.
I am a FIRM believer in "Run what ya brung"......Unless it's your MOUTH!!!
Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.07, 09:27 PM   #10
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
The Audi A4 has a lot of body roll, handles fairly similar to the 360GTC. Although you have to shave off the front lip and detach the canards. I did the same with the Lexus SC430. I cant get the Lexus to hook up very well at my home track, the Corvette is much better, since we have low grip. On a high grip track I prefer the Lexus. The 350Z has a little more rear grip, but is still quite fast in transitions. The Lexus is the fastest in transitions. Corvette is a little sluggish, but is easier to tune for various tracks.

When going to a new track, I usually start with the Vette, if it has a lot of grip, then I may try the Lexus, Audi or F430. The 575GTC is way too sluggish for me. It is alright for a modified car, but not for stock class, where agility means more than stability.
Old 2008.03.09, 05:16 AM   #11
Rune
Mini-Z Norway

Has anyone tried the new Mercedes bodies? They look great, but I am afraid that they are very fragile.

We have tried the Audi DTM cars at our track, but it is extremely fragile.
Old 2008.03.09, 07:47 AM   #12
bermbuster
GF Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune View Post
Has anyone tried the new Mercedes bodies? They look great, but I am afraid that they are very fragile.

We have tried the Audi DTM cars at our track, but it is extremely fragile.
I learned some valuable tricks w the fragile bodies.....I bought some sheet polystyrene .15 and .30 thick. I cut gussetts and reinforcing pcs for the bodies and use ca w accelarator (makes ca dry in 10 seconds) so im ready to run.....I also found flexible ca i use around light buckets etc....
I use Pacer brand glues
Plasti zap PT-19
Poly zap
Zap Kicker PT-28
bermbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.09, 10:01 AM   #13
Rune
Mini-Z Norway

Has anyone tried the Motul Pitwork GTR.
It looks very good, but how does it handle? Fragile?
Old 2008.03.09, 11:28 AM   #14
CristianTabush

Rune the Motul GTR is a big body, quite heavy and sluggish for the MR-02 in my opinion, for the AWD, that is a different story. There is 3 bodies I take everywhere I race for an MR-02:

-Mercedes CLK: I actually prefer this over any of the other ones right now. It is like a combination of the Lexus and the 360GTC. It feels very smooth and balanced. Has the body roll of the GTC, but rounds corners like the Lexus. Great on every track I've gone to. Body is fairly resistant to impact as well, one of the toughest out there.
-Ferrari 360 GTC: This is very popular everywhere for a reason. It is fast and low and does not snag walls. To me, if feels like it is too much of a point and shoot body though, which is not my preferred driving style (meaning that it pivots around corners instead of rounding them off).
- Lexus SC430: Given higher grip conditions or stock racing this body is awesome. Has little body roll so this is much more of a finesse body, this makes you drive the car really smooth.
http://www.reflexracing net
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.09, 01:06 PM   #15
Rune
Mini-Z Norway

Thanks.
That helps a lot.

Cant wait to try the CLK again. the last time I used CLK body (old type) was on my MR01 for about 5 years ago.