Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2018.02.03, 06:46 PM   #1
honda3

motor mount types

Hey guys does the motor mount position matter when selecting a body or is it only wheelbase? Also is there any ready sets out there with another mount type other than mm? The only ones i have seen have been the mid mount position. Trying to find an rm machine and just wondering if the only way was to build one myself.
honda3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.02.03, 08:47 PM   #2
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
body wheelbase, body height, etc. can influence motor mount configuration. most of the 86-90mm bodies ran RM however the MM2 motor mount has replaced the RM. Not sure they sell a kit with HM anymore.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.02.04, 01:22 AM   #3
TPDazzle

The Porsche 911 GT3, Shelby Cobra, and Ferrari GTO are all rear mount ready sets that are currently available if you look around. There are probably a few others. They are all 90mm to 94 mm wheelbase.
TPDazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.02.04, 06:38 PM   #4
honda3

So anything over a 94mm wheelbase and the rm mount can not be used?
Old 2018.02.05, 01:01 AM   #5
TPDazzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda3 View Post
You might be able to try buying the longest t-plate you can and move it as far back as it will go. Generally, 98 is mm and 102 is LM, which is another slightly different mm design.

The sports 2 ready sets don't use the MM2 mounts yet that I know of, but I think the Brushless cars use them exclusively. Xpower makes a really nice alloy rear mount that is quickly adjustable, but it is expensive and advertised to go from 86 to 94 mm.
TPDazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.02.05, 06:56 AM   #6
arch2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda3 View Post
Why would you want to? RM is among the least desired motor mounts. From least to most desirable; HM, RM, MM2/MM, LM.

Even for 98mm, the MM2 is superior to MM with the rear disk damper if your sticking to stock plastic parts.
Old 2018.02.05, 12:16 PM   #7
TeeSquared
Redline

MM2 accommodates 94, 98 and 102 mm configurations, but the motor mount and shock combo is VERY tall and most bodies will not fit over it. I have confirmed that only the GT86 (94mm) and R8 (98 mm) fit properly over the MM2 mount.

The “LM” motor pod can be used in the 98mm configuration, but you will need a special damper to fit it. The rear ride height is also reduced by about 1.5 mm.

The “RM” pod is actually fun with stock motors, but most tracks do not race RM equipped cars. Against 98mm mid motor cars, the RM cars will always loose, all else being equal. That doesn’t mean they are not fun to drive, but that they are simply not competitive.

Some tracks have a “HM” class were everyone runs the Abarth or Mini Cooper body. TONS of fun to drive but deliberately slow. The cars traction roll and tumble quite easily, but if everyone is running them together it’s great fun.
TeeSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.02.05, 02:35 PM   #8
arch2b

We have squeezed the MM2 into just about everything. I have it on my 599XX and runs great. Even works with stock motors well with some tweaking. Just about everyone in our stock class runs LM or MM2 for the disk damper vs. just the top shock on RM and MM.
Old 2018.02.05, 04:55 PM   #9
TeeSquared
Redline

Interesting. I could not get mine to fit under an Original McLaren F1, a F1 LT, a 12C GT3, or a NSX GTR. It rubbed on all of them unless I omitted the top shock and ran the disk damper only.

I guess that is to say, your mileage may vary

Last edited by TeeSquared; 2018.02.05 at 05:50 PM.
Old 2018.02.05, 08:00 PM   #10
honda3

What does LM stand for? Is it a type of mm config? Is the LM mount used exclusively for the le mans style bodies? Thanks for the help guys, getting back into this stuff after 15 years and a lot has changed.
Old 2018.02.05, 08:20 PM   #11
TeeSquared
Redline

LM stands for "low mount" but is a convenient way of remembering its mostly meant for the lemans type bodies.

It will fit the 98mm wheelbase, but you will need a special damper or adapter to make it work. Rear ride height is reduced about 1.5mm so you will need to adjust the front accordingly. The updated MR-03 front arms help with this since they lower the ride height. Also consider using shorter springs. I prefer the Kyosho "short soft" variety
Old 2018.02.05, 08:25 PM   #12
TeeSquared
Redline

Part # for Kyosho MML damper (will fit the LM pod in the 98mm configuration): R246-1352
Part # for MML Adapter for other dampers: MZW306
Part # for updated front suspension arms (lower ride height): MZW433
Part # for short front springs: MZW423
MML = LM motor pod in 98mm wheelbase

Last edited by TeeSquared; 2018.02.05 at 08:30 PM.
Old 2018.02.06, 03:44 AM   #13
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
While I have used an RM mount in the past with a 98mm murcielago, I cannot really recommend it unless you are just tinkering. It generates a lot more rear traction, at the expense of on throttle steering. Custom t- plates are needed as well, and they are not easy to come by.

I haven't tried the MM2 mount or damper set, but it looks like a versatile mount.

Know that if you use an LM mount that it is not compatible with a standard racer differential. And adds 3mm offset to the rear wheels, so if the body calls for anything less than 2mm offsets, the wheels will stick out.
Old 2018.02.06, 11:44 AM   #14
TeeSquared
Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
Know that if you use an LM mount that it is not compatible with a standard racer differential. And adds 3mm offset to the rear wheels, so if the body calls for anything less than 2mm offsets, the wheels will stick out.
Great point totally forgot to mention this!
Old 2018.02.06, 05:13 PM   #15
Thorvald

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeSquared View Post
Part # for updated front suspension arms (lower ride height): MZW433
Hmm, how does that part number lower the ride height?

It's just a glass reinforced replacement for the stock items?

Thanks
Tim
Thorvald is offline   Reply With Quote