Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2004.05.11, 01:38 AM   #1
revzalot

Any left handed racers?

I've just started racing mini z but being left handed has its drawbacks especially when Ko Propo controller is for righties. Has anyone tried to convert the stock controllers for lefties? Is there a conversion kit?
revzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.05.11, 01:58 AM   #2
TNB
Pet Human

One of guys who raced in Palmdale and at RCX converted his stock radio to a left handed version. Noel, where are you? He is pictured all the way to the left in the Overland A-Main.
http://www.kyosho.com/events/2004-mi...finals-24b.jpg

However, if you don't want to convert the stock radio, you may want to consider a Futaba T3PK or an Airtronics M8. I don't know if the KO Propo EX-10 Helios is right/left handed.
Old 2004.05.11, 10:45 AM   #3
pchan0
Team ShoBoi

Send a message via ICQ to pchan0 Send a message via MSN to pchan0
EX-10 is right handed radio only. If you don't want to invest in a higher end radio. Be creative, you can try to hold the stock right hand wheel to suit you.

Last edited by pchan0; 2004.05.11 at 10:50 AM.
pchan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.05.11, 12:20 PM   #4
PAULANGELO
Mini -Z Mutilator

Damn, Bill Jr should have put on some long pants!

The early bird gets the worm, But it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!
PAULANGELO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.05.11, 02:22 PM   #5
fraz

Bill's fast enough I think he can wear whatever he wants

I did see the converted radio in question up close and personal and it was a neat idea. It looked like he diassembled it and Dremeled out the round area right behind where the wheel goes. Then it looked like he just stuck the wheel in from the backside and reversed the channel or something. It worked really well because he is pretty fast in F1.
Old 2004.05.11, 02:37 PM   #6
PAULANGELO
Mini -Z Mutilator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraz
Bill's fast enough I think he can wear whatever he wants
With legs like that, he better be fast!

The early bird gets the worm, But it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!
PAULANGELO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.05.11, 02:48 PM   #7
revzalot

I converted my KT5 to left handed

It was pretty easy task with the Perfex KT5. All I did was take the case apart and unscrewed the steering wheel bracket. I then got a dremel and made 2.5cm x 4cm rectangular whole on the back side of the controller. Then I took off the spring and the plastic knobs of the steering wheel system and I was able to squeeze it through the rectangular whole. I made screw holes on the corners where the holes of the steering bracket would sync with the back side of the controller. I finally put the controller back and screwed the steering bracket on top of the rear side of the controller. The steering bracket now sits on top on the back and looks mighty cool with the shiny spring hanging out. I now have a kt5 left handed controller.

Last edited by revzalot; 2004.05.11 at 10:25 PM.
Old 2004.05.11, 04:23 PM   #8
revzalot

Observations with the lefty kt5

The steering wheel is little unstable due to lack of brackets keeping the wheel stationary. You have to be light on the touch when steering but it gets more comfortable as you become a better driver.
Old 2004.05.12, 02:21 AM   #9
allahsone

Send a message via AIM to allahsone
ima left and have no problems wiht a righty controller. i guess i got used to it over the years
allahsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.05.17, 05:24 AM   #10
Shiporu

Send a message via AIM to Shiporu Send a message via Yahoo to Shiporu
left handed driver

i am left handed diver, and the Mini-z controller is hard to use!!! and i don't have a dremel. do i have to buy a dremel or keep trying to drive right hand?

Last edited by Shiporu; 2004.05.17 at 05:25 AM. Reason: typo
Shiporu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.05.30, 01:10 AM   #11
DOHCrazy

Send a message via ICQ to DOHCrazy Send a message via AIM to DOHCrazy Send a message via Yahoo to DOHCrazy
I have a friend that lives across the street who i race with that is left handed, and he has no problems at all... I guess it only bothers certain people.
DOHCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.05.30, 05:21 AM   #12
Shiporu

Send a message via AIM to Shiporu Send a message via Yahoo to Shiporu
i guess it only me...

it is hard using the right handed controller....but i am getting a little better, just not making much progress. I am trying though, maybe someday i will be able to do okay with the controls.

-shiporu
Shiporu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.05.30, 06:49 PM   #13
revzalot

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiporu
it is hard using the right handed controller....but i am getting a little better, just not making much progress. I am trying though, maybe someday i will be able to do okay with the controls.

-shiporu
If you're going to try to convert your mini z controller to left handed, you'll need the newest controller kt5. I haven't converted the old kt2 yet but still working on it. You don't have to get a dremel but the job is much faster and easier. You can used a drill and drill out the 4 x 2.5 cm square in the back of the kt5 controller. I tried both left and right handed controllers and reaction time and learning curve is less as lefty. Just feels more natural to me. Thanks to pchan0 for the mr02 stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1823.JPG (88.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1824.JPG (87.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1825.JPG (68.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1826.JPG (68.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1827.JPG (87.5 KB, 27 views)