Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Events > PN Racing World Cup

Old 2009.10.27, 08:42 AM   #1
JuniorWKR
White Knuckle Racing

My Suggestion for Next Years Racing Format

My suggestion for next years racing format would be to eliminate stock and mod classes and find or make a good motor in the middle... i believe that stock and mod is useless as the lap times and amount of laps are identical.... i would much rather see PN run the same motor in every class like a 60t or
57t and run more classes... I think PN is really missing out on not running a class like LM or a narrow body class... Pn can even have a strictly 94 mm or 98mm class... a vintage class or a ferrari class... a import class... and especially with the release of the MR03 which will change the narrow body class and make it more competitve than ever... and i think my point is valid with the popularity of the mini fun class at the NJ reginals at MHS... this is the concept we are going to be moving foward with at MHS as we are looking for the right motor right now... the motor will have to be something that is strong enough for awd and f1 but not discourge the new comers to the hobby... I think Pan Car should be made an outlaw class and have it as anything goes... i think this class will bring some real excitment to the event and a lipo on a mrcg with a lexan body and foam tires would be something amazing to watch going around the track... Most of the racers that i have met will have multiple chassis of the same kind... most guys will have 2 or 3
2wds and a awd... why not make it so they can enter multiple 2wd classes and not miss out because they dont own every chassis that is out there...

LIVE Mini-Z Racing Every Fri and Sat Nite 7pm - Dnano Racing Every Mon Nite 530pm - 1/16th - 1/18th Off Road Racing (times and days to be announced)
JuniorWKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.10.27, 02:25 PM   #2
Cherub1m
Slip Angle Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorWKR View Post
My suggestion for next years racing format would be to eliminate stock and mod classes and find or make a good motor in the middle... i believe that stock and mod is useless as the lap times and amount of laps are identical.... i would much rather see PN run the same motor in every class like a 60t or
57t and run more classes... I think PN is really missing out on not running a class like LM or a narrow body class... Pn can even have a strictly 94 mm or 98mm class... a vintage class or a ferrari class... a import class... and especially with the release of the MR03 which will change the narrow body class and make it more competitve than ever... and i think my point is valid with the popularity of the mini fun class at the NJ reginals at MHS... this is the concept we are going to be moving foward with at MHS as we are looking for the right motor right now... the motor will have to be something that is strong enough for awd and f1 but not discourge the new comers to the hobby... I think Pan Car should be made an outlaw class and have it as anything goes... i think this class will bring some real excitment to the event and a lipo on a mrcg with a lexan body and foam tires would be something amazing to watch going around the track... Most of the racers that i have met will have multiple chassis of the same kind... most guys will have 2 or 3
2wds and a awd... why not make it so they can enter multiple 2wd classes and not miss out because they don't own every chassis that is out there...
I think that is a great suggestion. Make the rules around the chassis and body and open up the motor rule (only down side to the no limit on motors is, you will always have some new driver buy a 33Turn and add so many fets that the PCB cover won't close properly and have a undriveable car) or have a nice mid range motor that is powerful enough for the AWD and F1. I think any motor in the 50 turn range with bearings would be great(something like the PN Speedy 07 BB or the Atomic Standard BB). Because Like Junior put it, looking at 70Turn class and mod, the difference is usually only one lap and at times they are the same depending on the layout. At some clubs, racers will race their stock car in mod class because they are faster with the stock car

I also feel that 70Turn motor is a great motor for the MR02,3 and 015 however, using that motor for AWD and F1 is not a good idea. The 70Turn motor no matter how great a motor it is it will kill the AWD and F1 class, simply because these chassis need more power. I am a little biased because I love the AWD and F1. However I have see what a Speedy 07 AWD and F1 can do. In short these chassis shine with the 07.

Most Miniz players are a multiclass racers That is why they are so many classes. However, I feel the way it is now if you race one MR02 class your next MR02 class wont be that different. However, if you do it this way that may be more appealing to racers: (Note: the classes would have more rules than what I just listed below. ie restriction on tires, body modifications....basically a variation of PN or Atomic rules.)

1)2WD Mini class 86mm to 90mm Narrow bodies
2)4WD Mini class 90mm Narrow bodies
note: possibly combine both the AWD and 2WD Mini classes I don't know.
3)2WD Touring class 94mm to 98mm Mixed of GT, Super GT bodies and the likes
4)LM class 102mm LM bodies only
5)AWD Class 90mm to 98mm Mixed of GT, Super GT bodies and the likes
6)F1 Class
7)Vintage 2WD class basically old style bodies I guess anything that is dates 30 years back or more.
8)Pan/Outlaw class whatever you want has long has its 1/28th scale. This would be a great class for development of new chassis and parts.

Doing this would revive the AWD Class and F1 class. This is something that MHS is moving towards and its proven to be very successful thus far. In fact the AWD class is huge at MHS my guess is you will probably see the Mini, Vintage or F1 class start to make a resurgence once these rules are ironed out.

I would love to hear some suggestion from others. Good suggestion, not "it won't work because I don't like it...just because"

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

Link to my Videos http://www.youtube.com/SlipAngleChaser

Last edited by Cherub1m; 2009.10.27 at 02:29 PM.
Cherub1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.10.27, 02:33 PM   #3
JuniorWKR
White Knuckle Racing

if a good midrange motor is applied the awd is now more than competitve in the 2wd class... at mhs a awd with a speedy 07 os fster than a 02 with a speedy 07... now i know the mr03 is gonna change that but at least it is more competitve... and running the same motor inevery class but a motor that is powerful enough to push the bigger chassis like awd and f1 will really start to show the superior chassis... i truely believe it is a great idea for something different... and having rules on classes is also a great idea philip... like running a true LM class... pod rims and tires would be awesome... or a awd narrow body class with only narrow rims allowed front and rear... i also believe Pn should look into allowing 4 wide tires on the awd as it makes the chassis more competitve with the bigger motors...

LIVE Mini-Z Racing Every Fri and Sat Nite 7pm - Dnano Racing Every Mon Nite 530pm - 1/16th - 1/18th Off Road Racing (times and days to be announced)
Old 2009.10.27, 03:39 PM   #4
CristianTabush

I don't know if I necessarily agree with adding more classes. Have you ever been to a PNWC Final? TOO MANY classes already. I like the format, it has been good so far. Adding more classes will really thin out the competition even further. It would actually be nice to trim it down to a Maximum of like 4-5 classes. The competition and quality of racing would really go up, this is how it used to be.

I think the Touring Modified Classes should be combined. This is how it was in 06 and it was very evenly matched. Today, it still would be. AWD and 2WD Stock can be kept separate since they are going at different speeds, but on a medium sized track, I ran faster laps with an AWD earlier in the year, by a few tenths, so I think that the AWD not competitive with a 70T is not entirely accurate. The problem is the past Regional layouts have been designed to benefit the 2WD cars on the track. Pan cars should only be mod and keep the current structure. It would be awesome to allow Atomic wheels and bodies, but the race is called the PNWC after all, so not likely any time soon. Lastly, the F1 class... Do whatever... That class is isolated, so the changes made to it don't affect the turnout. Stock or Mod, just keep 1 class tough.

What I would like changed would be more of the fast guys stepping up to modified classes to race. Stock 70 turn should be left up to the beginner to intermediate level guys. If you think an AWD is too slow with the stock motor, run MOD! You can run your Speedy 07 there if you can't handle a Modified motor. When the decision was made to go to the 70 turn class, it was so that the cars would go slower. Maybe what we need to push for is faster 70 turn bushing motors?

The club we raced this year has a 28x15ft track, we ran full blown mod motors, without a hitch and we did so at the endurance event as well, so on a bigger regional-size track, mod should not be that hard.

Classes like the Mini Fun Class are great for regional events, but have relatively little importance and interest at the WC level, it is sort of like Pan Car Stock. There are 7 people signed up for the WORLD FINAL race. This means that anyone can pretty much make the A main at the WC Final level. Not my idea of a "true" competition for the title... Not that the class is not fun to run, but does it deserve a "world cup" title if there is no big interest to race with the exception of 3-4 clubs in the US?

Classes like Pan Car will probably never be Lexan so long as this is the PN Cup,(unless they start making lexan bodies). Foam tires and lipo are not likely soon either just because this is a manufacturer's cup, and this would not be in the best interest of PN as a brand.

Motor rule... You are free to run any PN Motor... I don't think this it is realistic to think this is going to change any time soon, so long as this is the PN Racing World Cup.
http://www.reflexracing net
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.10.27, 03:40 PM   #5
JacobFeinstein

Personally, I think the addition of classes is the last thing Philip should do for the World Cup class format. There are already too many. On the other hand, I think it would be nice to model it after World Championships for larger scales by having just a Touring Modified Class, where both 2WD and AWD platforms are allowed, and possibly having a separate Pan Car Modified Class for only 2WD plaforms. It would be interesting to have no chassis restriction in either class, allowing for more companies to get into the scale. Trying to slow the classes down is not really in the spirit of such an event. It should stay Modified. In many ways Stock racing should not really be a class at the World Cup, just as with any other larger scale electric Championship. The emphasis should be on simplicity and open rules, not further restrictions on body type or wheelbase or cosmetics. This has a way of speading the racing too thin, which is not something we want to happen. I see the appeal for a something like a Mini 90mm class at a club track, but for the PNWC the classes should be oriented around making a car as quick around a track as possible.
Old 2009.10.27, 06:26 PM   #6
JuniorWKR
White Knuckle Racing

christian i guess your point bout to many classes is valid as i think about it... the racing events could be cut down to a day instead of two... but im assuming from your statement that you agree it should be a single class... no more stock or mod... it would just be up to Phil wether or not to have it as open motor or a faster handout motor....

Jacob i also like your opinion which i feel also states that you would rather run a faster motor wether it be handout or open...

i really like the appeal of a faster event and i guess having simplier classes would make it more enjoyable for everyone... i just really like the idea of running the same motor in every single class... as i stated before we are doing it at our lhs and are having some great success with it... right now its the speedy07 but we are having some inconsistency issues with the motors... also having problems with the brushes warping when they get hot...

Old 2009.10.27, 06:50 PM   #7
rocketman
Thom Rocketman Belmont

Just some thoughts, while I still have them. PN makes motors and hop up parts and therefore it seems fitting that they would sponsor an event that allows/requires racers to utilize their products in a way that maximizes their investment in the promotion of the event. The format you propose is like an SCCA event and while that has its place, an event like the PNWC is probably not the place for it. That would be more on a regional level to me. Having said that PN makes a stock motor and therefore produce a PN WC stock championship

When CT notes that 7 people are signed up for a class at a WC level event it is not good for the sport. Racers, by definition, should have to race into this event and there is nothing more exciting than watching a number of cars/drivers make it through true qualifying at an event where their decisions and performance can land them in the D main. When you make it out of that kind of whole you have done something. So less classes and more racers per class can produce that.

What I believe really needs to be done is for the PN and Atomic events to be a second tier of racing and to make, what I would call, Formula 28 World Championship, competed for every two years, and have the open rules so and it would involve Pan Car, AWD/2wd modified classes. No stock events. The rules would come from pretty much the rules we put together and while sponsorship should be sought from PN and the like no real relationship with the event would be had. This would be along the lines of what CT has done with his Reflex Endurance Series next year. If this is done then we have a true world championship in Modified and CUP and National events can have their national/regional/pancar/stock/modified/outlaw/specific turn motor/battery limited champions. Perhaps PN would entertain the thought of promoting a type of body for a years event such as GT, Vintage, MINI Cooper at the PNWC and change each year so something different is done keeping it attractive to the casual race fan. I love to see vintage anything race including me. Got to race sometime soon.

Thom "The Rocketman" Belmont
Belmont Racing Team - BRT

Last edited by rocketman; 2009.10.27 at 06:58 PM.
rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.10.27, 09:50 PM   #8
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
Just some thoughts, while I still have them. PN makes motors and hop up parts and therefore it seems fitting that they would sponsor an event that allows/requires racers to utilize their products in a way that maximizes their investment in the promotion of the event.....
thats been done before, it was called the kyosho mini-z cup series and it was generally not well liked due to the proprietary nature requiring kyosho only parts. i'd like to think we've moved beyond that idea and i'm sure many others do as well.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.10.27, 10:35 PM   #9
bermbuster
GF Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
thats been done before, it was called the kyosho mini-z cup series and it was generally not well liked due to the proprietary nature requiring kyosho only parts. i'd like to think we've moved beyond that idea and i'm sure many others do as well.
Part of the problem with manufacters cup series is that all parts are not available around the world. When making a world class event that is why Kyosho and even Atomic has/had special classes.
PN on the other hand promotes his races almost worldwide and has regionals wherever his parts are available. At the PN races for the stock classes you must use a PN motor.

Our reality with racing is we dont have a huge group of racers when big events take place. Sometimes classes are light you have to run them. Only 7 in stock pan but those 7 made a mains in qualifying regionals so while its not a huge group it is still the best of the best. It is not inexpensive to travel to these races either so sometimes its not the best guys running but the guys with the most money as well.
In the end we are racing toys for plastic trophies and bragging rights. Some race for monetary gain for there products.
The way I see racing is the really good pro level guys they make the A main and so on....so the newbies or intermediate drivers have the C D and lower mains. The reality is we can combine classes (stock/mod) of cars and you still have similiar results. I like the idea of seperating classes by wb....something different to try....
we can try these classes up to 90mm 94mm 96mm 98mm 102mm
bermbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.10.27, 10:35 PM   #10
rocketman
Thom Rocketman Belmont

Arch2b writes, "thats been done before, it was called the kyosho mini-z cup series and it was generally not well liked due to the proprietary nature requiring kyosho only parts. i'd like to think we've moved beyond that idea and i'm sure many others do as well."

We are in agreement, I was pointing out that PN requires PN motors and there have been other series where other parts are required. It will not take the place of an open championship and should not receive the support of an open championship. But we are talking about the rules for the PN WC and I got off track a little, it is my nature.

Old 2009.10.27, 10:58 PM   #11
Cherub1m
Slip Angle Chaser

looks like we all want to go fast. Well, we wouldn't be racers if we didn't.

I Just want to clarify something from my previous post, the 8 classes I mentioned was just an example, I agree 100% with Junior, Jacob and Cristian on reducing the number classes (we don't want to thin things out) and CT's suggestion of 4 to max of 5 is excellent. Like 2WD, 4WD, F1, and Pan/Outlaw classes, all either with a faster mid range motor or open it up (even if you have to use that companies motor) and let the racers choose what they feel is best for them for that track. For the fifth class it could be any of the others; like, Vintage, Mini, LM (if its not already allowed in 2WD or Pan/Outlaw). I am not so sure about mixing 2WD with AWD, they are so different...maybe in outlaw class or the Mini fun class. I agree the companies need to make money and using their parts would benefit them, especially if they are running the race (in all honesty PN is much more relaxed then most in this scale in allowing other manufactures parts in their races). However, I feel the Pan/Outlaw class would be an excellent place where they could let go of those rules and truly allow innovation to take place. This would not only be a great opportunity for development of better chassis, motors, batteries...etc, it would also be a great way for other companies to take part in this scale.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

Link to my Videos http://www.youtube.com/SlipAngleChaser

Last edited by Cherub1m; 2009.10.27 at 11:04 PM.
Cherub1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.10.28, 12:06 AM   #12
CristianTabush

Well, I refer to the PNWC Finals Level, nothing below. You still have to have stock classes to allow people with a lower skill set to develop and hone their skills as they move up and get better. I just don't know where the whole stock class fits in this structure, but I am old skool, so to me Modified was and always has been where all the honor and prestige is when you win.

Regionally, I have always been a believer that you have to run what is popular in your area so that all your members are happy. Nationally, have as many classes as you want to run, but at the Worlds Level, it should be narrowed down to ONLY modified classes.

Most People run only 2 or 3 classes with the current format. Where there is 7 or 8 classes (I don't even remember) if you ran only the Mod classes, these participants would still enter the 2-3 classes and now they would be spread out in 1/2 the number of classes.

I would love to see 1/28 Touring (AWD and 2WD together), Pan Car Modified and F1 Mod at the World Cup. Throw even in a Stock Touring Class if you want. But seeing the top 20-30 Mini-Z drivers in the World go at it in less classes, all running modified would BE AWESOME. Combining the Touring classes would be alright with me, the more I experience it, the more I realize that what matters most is the type of track to decide which car is quicker.

The last thing is the event should also be spread out to 3 days so that you can have at least 4 and maybe 5 qualifying rounds and triple A-mains for it without being on such a time constraint.
http://www.reflexracing net

Last edited by CristianTabush; 2009.10.28 at 12:10 AM.
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.10.28, 08:03 AM   #13
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
Arch2b writes, "thats been done before, it was called the kyosho mini-z cup series and it was generally not well liked due to the proprietary nature requiring kyosho only parts. i'd like to think we've moved beyond that idea and i'm sure many others do as well."

We are in agreement, I was pointing out that PN requires PN motors and there have been other series where other parts are required. It will not take the place of an open championship and should not receive the support of an open championship. But we are talking about the rules for the PN WC and I got off track a little, it is my nature.
there is an enormous difference however in a hand out/spec motor vs. a manufacturer spec chassis. with the mini-z cup, it all had to be kyo, from lock nuts to knuckles. there were exceptions but negligible really.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.10.28, 09:06 AM   #14
rocketman
Thom Rocketman Belmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
there is an enormous difference however in a hand out/spec motor vs. a manufacturer spec chassis. with the mini-z cup, it all had to be kyo, from lock nuts to knuckles. there were exceptions but negligible really.

While it is different, it is still to me a cup race if I have to race their products and therefore I feel it is not an open championship even though it is less restrictive than other formats that have come and gone. I would argue, that while it has its problems it is still the premier race today and with the lack of an open championship it will remain the premier event. I must say also that I only speak of the finals level here.

Old 2009.10.28, 03:28 PM   #15
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Great ideas by all. Some class thoughts i have...............

2WD 70T
AWD new stock motor,faster than 70T
2WD/AWD combined mod
F-1 new stock motor, faster than 70T
Pan mod

Just some ideas. Also place having regional could add other fun classes depending on whats hot in there area.

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote