Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2018.11.30, 02:17 PM   #31
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I find myself flip flopping between brushed and brushless almost every race. Some tracks I prefer brushless, others I prefer brushed. I view the evo as an option to make the choice in race day, and not need to have a second car setup with an alternative drive system.

If I needed to make a decision between brushed and brushless for stock class, I would choose brushed. It is simpler, and has a better feel for power delivery and more drag brake. I typically prefer brushless on carpet, and brushed on rcp.

Japan has a relatively closed RC ecosystem. They do not really have access to many of the Chinese aftermarket that we have. At least not at a competitive price. This leaves kyosho in control of the mini-z market, and limited access to competitors.

Kyosho doesn't design anything with the US or EU market in mind, we just get the scraps that the Japanese market passes on more or less.

The Evo is their flagship model, however this is where I start to scratch my head. They really could and should have incorporated a sensored brushless system, and developed a 3500kv class motor to compete head to head with their stock motor. The 5600kv is x-speed power, and would cover the super stock class. This current motors looks to have an aluminum sleeve, but I assume that the motor is the same motor we currently have in the evo. The 12000kv motor that they have is simply too fast, and performs like an on/off switch. I don't see any reason why I would install it in one of my cars.

According to the picture on their site, it looks like KO is back making the main electronics. I just fear that this is too little product for too much price.

I would only see myself use this for a stock or pro stock class, as modified there are considerably better options from my perspective in this scale. The fancies should be relegated to modified or open classes. Perhaps a pro stock class with minimum weight limits and motor options.

Arch, I agree about restricting the evo to common parts in the stock classes. I just wanted to bring that up as soon as I noticed it. From what I can tell, the differential is the only part that would need to be swapped out along with motor.

I would gladly prefer a gear diff if it would bring the pricing more in line with the current VE-Pro offering.

Last edited by EMU; 2018.11.30 at 02:24 PM.
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.11.30, 05:17 PM   #32
Thorvald

Well once the manual/parts diagram is up I'll see what it would take to convert an existing MR03 to the new chassis with your choice of Rx.

Hopefully a fair bit of parts are the same. Looks like it.

Only issue would be the new ESC... knowing Kyosho it won't be cheap.

Cheers
Tim

EDIT: Oops, they are up already. Only a few parts changed:

MZ601 - Main Unit Set (MR03EVO) (ESC, Servo and Pot)
MZ602 - Receiver Cover Set (MR03EVO)

Wow that's it. Except for the Receiver needed. So only change of the car itself is:

MZW436 Ball Differential Set II

Everything else is the same as a MR-03 (VE).

Last edited by Thorvald; 2018.11.30 at 05:23 PM.
Thorvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.12.17, 03:51 AM   #33
SuperFly
bitPimp

Saw an auction for Kyosho MINI-Z EVO Receiver Unit KT18 EX6 EX6R 82040. It was a "BIN" for around $60 shipped from Japan.

82040 is the product number for the ASF EVO receiver. Not sure if it does MHS also, per the VE Pro.

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.12.17, 04:07 AM   #34
EMU
EMUracing

I have seen conflicting pricing on different sources. At the Tokyo hobby show, at the evo reveal, the pricing was close to 20000 yen for the chassis and 4500 yen for the receiver. Equating to roughly $190 chassis/$40 RX.

Now it looks like the chassis is closer to 18000 yen and 6500 for the RX. All of the RX options seem to be identically priced from what I can tell, so there is no cheaper entry.

I think it makes more sense for them to price the chassis higher, with a less expensive receiver. People with multiple cars would just use one RX and swap between cars to reduce cost. The parity in RX pricing probably has to do with not undercutting Futaba or Sanwa when those RX models are available.

I am most interested in whether one could wire a standard RX to the main board...
Old 2018.12.19, 04:12 AM   #35
EMU
EMUracing

VERY IMPORTANT EVO MLAFUNCTION

I just ran across some information about the EVO having a glitch in its main board firmware. Here is a translation from the Kyosho site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyosho
Kyosho Source

Main unit set (MR-03EVO / SA-40) About product malfunction of No. MZ601

The main unit set (product number: MZ601) corresponding to the spare parts of the Minute new product chassis set "MR - 03 EVO" has been found to be contaminated with program incomplete.

Target products:
Main unit set (MR-03EVO / SA-40) No. MZ601 8,000 yen (excluding tax)

Symptom: The
main unit set (MR - 03 EVO / SA - 40) is designed to recognize the position of the steering center at the initial energization. If the position of the steering wheel is outside the center when energizing after incorporating the main unit set, A phenomenon occurs that the front tire does not come to the neutral position even if the transmitter is in the neutral position after being recognized as the center by recognizing the shifted position.

◾️ Countermeasure (when not energized after incorporating the main unit set): Energize the
steering wheel after aligning its position to the center.

◾️ Countermeasure (in case of energization after main unit set is installed):
Fix using ICS USB adapter HS and MR - 03 EVO ICS manager

1. First of all prepare the ICS USB Adapter HS and download the MR - 03 EVO ICS Manager from the Kyosho website.
2. In the environment of the ICS manager, click "Initialize display" at the bottom left of the screen without loading your own chassis.
3. Click "Write" as is and write the initial setting.
4. Close the ICS manager, remove the cable from the car body and check the neutral.

連絡 If you are not in an environment where you can use the ICS manager or if you can not fix it with the above countermeasures, please contact the Kyosho User Consultation Office.
It looks like it is related to the initialization of the unit when you first power it on. If the wheels are not within a certain range of center, the car will lose center and will need to be reset via ICS. It doesnt mention anything about bluetooth ICS adapters, and I have no clue about compatibility with the bluetooth ICS VE software, so would not recommend trying that unless it is a last resort or confirmed compatible.
Old 2018.12.19, 06:50 AM   #36
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Explains why my order yesterday for a board was canceled. Interested in building a new HFAY car that allows me to interchange Between brushed/brushless.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.12.28, 07:38 AM   #37
Thorvald

New video is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEqtApqMUy0

Has subtitles and they go into a bit more detail on the upgrades including the 100 times faster steering (????), the capability of running brushed or brushless from the same ESC, new Diff, etc. Covers the new Rx units and shows how they connect.

CORRECTION: 11 times faster (Thanks cowboysir)

They also go through a complete unboxing of one of the EVO's.

Last edited by Thorvald; 2018.12.28 at 01:22 PM.
Old 2018.12.28, 12:47 PM   #38
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorvald View Post
New video is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEqtApqMUy0

Has subtitles and they go into a bit more detail on the upgrades including the 100 times faster steering (????), the capability of running brushed or brushless from the same ESC, new Diff, etc. Covers the new Rx units and shows how they connect.

They also go through a complete unboxing of one of the EVO's.
The vids subtitles say 11 times faster steering and 100 times faster throttle response.

Now if they'd come up with an RX to use with my 4PKS (FASST) I'd get one but that seems unlikely since the 7PX has a much higher signal rate at FHSS(?)

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.12.28, 04:16 PM   #39
Thorvald

Finally a good pic of the board without the Rx installed:

http://rc.kyosho.com/en/mz601.html

Also the parts to convert an MR-03 to an Evo style:

http://rc.kyosho.com/en/mz602.html
Old 2018.12.28, 04:21 PM   #40
EMU
EMUracing

Judging by that video, it looks like futaba compatibility is only for the two newest radios, and firmware needs updates... kind of disappointing from a compatibility perspective. Makes me nervous that my mt-44 TX might not make the grade for compatibility with the sanwa rx if they follow the same...

I was very close to ordering an evo with an ASF rx last night, but am going to hold off until I know that my sanwa tx is compatible.

Last edited by EMU; 2018.12.28 at 04:32 PM.
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.12.28, 04:25 PM   #41
Thorvald

And the new motors:

http://rc.kyosho.com/en/mz603.html

http://rc.kyosho.com/en/mz604.html

http://rc.kyosho.com/en/mz605.html

Here is the modified brushed motors for the EVO:

http://rc.kyosho.com/en/mz9e.html

http://rc.kyosho.com/en/mzw301e.html

Last edited by Thorvald; 2018.12.28 at 04:35 PM.
Old 2018.12.28, 04:41 PM   #42
EMU
EMUracing

I had seen a video in Japanese showing an issue with the new brushless motors and the r246 1202/1351b (MML) mounts. The fillet around the endbell protrusion is a larger radius than the older motors, and the shim that goes around it needs a little file work to seat fully. I wonder if this will have a tight fit with the plastic mounts as well.

Judging by the video, the motors are no longer produced by Orion, which might mean a completely different feel and power band compared to the previous Orion models. You still do not have solder points on the motor which are easily accessible, which is something that I dont really like. I solder my motors to the PCB directly, and switching between Kyosho motors and any other aftermarket motor requires soldering at the PCB end.
Old 2018.12.29, 11:39 AM   #43
sake138

No love for us spektrum guys smh
sake138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.12.29, 05:17 PM   #44
EMU
EMUracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sake138 View Post
No love for us spektrum guys smh
All of these radios feed the Japanese market. Spektrum is predominantly USA. I really wish that the EVO had open compatibility for rx... At least some way to hardwire any rx
Old 2018.12.29, 05:28 PM   #45
Thorvald

Well now that the Rx is separate it might not be too hard to decode the signals through that SMT connector and simply wire you own in (for one that has electronic skills).

I would not doubt that PN might look at making one since they already made a Spektrum one before.