Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2018.12.18, 10:44 AM   #1
Ka0sgh0st

787b body conversion

Hello all!

I came to get some help with the conversation of my mini z to work with the Mazda 787B body.

I have the RWD Audi R8 LMS 2015 readyset car. I bought it used, but it should have all the parts it would come with new, I haven't did a complete check yet. Im going to be buying another car soon as well, aiming for another MR03 so I can have 2 ready to go, I'd put the upgraded motor from this one into the other one with the 787B body and bring the one I have now back to box stock for stock class racing.

Anyways, I bought the LM ball diff, and the Atomic AR240 motor pod, as well as the autoscale body. Are there any parts I need to buy? That's really my main concern right now so I can start and complete the swap to the LM motor mount and have the body fit.
Ka0sgh0st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.12.18, 12:51 PM   #2
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Di you have a damper? If not, then that is something to consider.

There are few options for the damper, since you should look for an LM model due to the limited clearance in the rear.

R246-1222 rolling damper can be found for around $30 on ebay, which is a bit expensive for my taste.

3Racing KZ-12/WO uses the same disc damper, but the top shock is not worth using in my opinion. The r246 shock is much better.

Atomic # AR-250 is just a titanium damper plate and mount for the chassis, you must provide the discs, post and top shock.

With the atomic mount that you have selected, you will definitely need to use thread lock on the screw to the damper arm, and once you get it in the position you like, a small drop of CA to lock the arm in position or it tilts slightly forward and backwards. Other than that issue, the mount is very good. Don't apply the CA directly from the bottle, use a toothpick from a small dish so that you can accurately place it without applying too much.

I have used all three of these damper plate systems, and each has their strengths. My favorite is the atomic titanium one, although the 3racing doesn't lag far behind. If you can get the r246 for a good price, it might be worth it for the oil shock.

Last edited by EMU; 2018.12.18 at 01:25 PM.
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.12.19, 10:36 PM   #3
Ka0sgh0st

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
Di you have a damper? If not, then that is something to consider.

There are few options for the damper, since you should look for an LM model due to the limited clearance in the rear.

R246-1222 rolling damper can be found for around $30 on ebay, which is a bit expensive for my taste.

3Racing KZ-12/WO uses the same disc damper, but the top shock is not worth using in my opinion. The r246 shock is much better.

Atomic # AR-250 is just a titanium damper plate and mount for the chassis, you must provide the discs, post and top shock.

With the atomic mount that you have selected, you will definitely need to use thread lock on the screw to the damper arm, and once you get it in the position you like, a small drop of CA to lock the arm in position or it tilts slightly forward and backwards. Other than that issue, the mount is very good. Don't apply the CA directly from the bottle, use a toothpick from a small dish so that you can accurately place it without applying too much.

I have used all three of these damper plate systems, and each has their strengths. My favorite is the atomic titanium one, although the 3racing doesn't lag far behind. If you can get the r246 for a good price, it might be worth it for the oil shock.
would these be an upgrade or do I need one to assemble the car to a LM style? I'm not opposed to the upgrade, but I want to be able to get the car together first.
Old 2018.12.19, 10:44 PM   #4
EMU
EMUracing

You should be able to get the car together without a damper, but it dont drive very well as the rear will be all over the place. This is the primary benefit that the stock LM pod had over the standard pods, it included a disc damper.

You should be able to drive the mazda with standard sized wheels, but if you plan to use the included front wheels of the autoscale, toy will want to get LM30 front tires. Rear 20d radials or LM20 work well on most surfaces.
Old 2018.12.20, 09:00 AM   #5
Qball41

Quote:
You should be able to get the car together without a damper, but it dont drive very well as the rear will be all over the place. This is the primary benefit that the stock LM pod had over the standard pods, it included a disc damper.

You should be able to drive the mazda with standard sized wheels, but if you plan to use the included front wheels of the autoscale, toy will want to get LM30 front tires. Rear 20d radials or LM20 work well on most surfaces.
The damper plate really does make a difference. While not as good as the aftermarket ones mentioned here, even the stock LM pod with the damper plate is much better than not, and, the stock pod with damper plate can be had for right around $10 which is nice.
Old 2018.12.20, 10:33 PM   #6
Ka0sgh0st

I'll look at getting the R246-1222 parts then, as it looks the most complete.

as for the tires, I take it the ones included with the body arent good? I do want to use the wheels that came with the body, I just went earlier today and bought a mr03, that would need wheels and tires, and the body for it, as well as the LM parts to fit the body. Are the included tires good enough to just drive around on the carpet? not looking to race it right now. I have my other one with the Audi body I plan to swap a stock motor back into and if I race, race that in the box stock class. I'll take the performance motor in it now and put it into the 787b car.
Old 2018.12.20, 11:10 PM   #7
EMU
EMUracing

The tires that come with the car probably wont be able to keep the rear end in line. At least get some 20d LM or radial rear tires. The Radials should be able to hold the carpet better than the LM. The rear wheels are the same size as standard racer wheels, but the fronts are 17mm instead of the normal 20mm diameter, so need the LM tire to work.

Since your rear pod has adjustable height, you can use the smaller profile radial tire with the wheels that come with the body and lower the axle height slightly to have similar ride height as when using the LM tire with the same wheels.
Old 2018.12.21, 08:46 AM   #8
Ka0sgh0st

Quote:
The tires that come with the car probably wont be able to keep the rear end in line. At least get some 20d LM or radial rear tires. The Radials should be able to hold the carpet better than the LM. The rear wheels are the same size as standard racer wheels, but the fronts are 17mm instead of the normal 20mm diameter, so need the LM tire to work.

Since your rear pod has adjustable height, you can use the smaller profile radial tire with the wheels that come with the body and lower the axle height slightly to have similar ride height as when using the LM tire with the same wheels.
I'll get both sets of tires then.

I can't seem.to get the motor to mount I to the LM pod. is there any I structuons some where, or an explanation on how to mount the motor in the pod?

I have the little mount peice it came with. AMD it lines up.into the one little hole on the motor. but no screw goes I to the hole, weather it.be the mounting screw on the bottom or even trying a screw just into the motor, they are all too big.
Old 2018.12.21, 09:01 AM   #9
EMU
EMUracing

What motor are you using? The motor needs two screws.
Old 2018.12.21, 09:39 AM   #10
Ka0sgh0st

Quote:
What motor are you using? The motor needs two screws.
I'm not sure what motor it it. it only has 1 hole. what motor will I need to get then to make it work, seems like the motor I have isnt the right one then
Old 2018.12.21, 09:43 AM   #11
EMU
EMUracing

What sort of performance are you looking for? Stock speed, mild upgrade, or as fast as you can go? What controller are you using?
Old 2018.12.21, 09:50 AM   #12
Ka0sgh0st

Quote:
What sort of performance are you looking for? Stock speed, mild upgrade, or as fast as you can go? What controller are you using?
It came with the Kt19. I dont want super fast. I do have a performance motor in my other car. I suppose I could take it out and put the stock one back into that one
Old 2018.12.21, 09:53 AM   #13
EMU
EMUracing

Sports cars should use the PN 50t motor as the fastest option. I would just grab a PN 70t, its a solid option. It will be a little faster than the stock motor but runs much cooler. Gear with a 12/51 gearing and it will be plenty quick.
Old 2018.12.21, 10:39 AM   #14
Ka0sgh0st

Quote:
Sports cars should use the PN 50t motor as the fastest option. I would just grab a PN 70t, its a solid option. It will be a little faster than the stock motor but runs much cooler. Gear with a 12/51 gearing and it will be plenty quick.
that motor will have the needed holes?

how do I know what my gears are? like what comes on the LM diff?
Old 2018.12.21, 06:12 PM   #15
EMU
EMUracing

Which LM differential did you buy? Many of these parts have come with multiple configurations, there were some LM differentials which came with the 48 pitch 43t (Atomic), where Kyosho only comes with the 44t. But Atomic and PN have also had options for 64 pitch variants.

64p is a lower profile tooth, therefore it has less noise and resistance do to lower overlap of the gears as they mesh. This means a faster and more efficient car with the same power source.

All PN motors have the two mounting holes for the mounts. Atomic has removed itself from Mini-Z production, and is focusing on their own chassis and designs. All of their brushed motors are discontinued. Now they only make brushless motors.