Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2013.06.24, 10:47 PM   #1
Felix2010

AR-286 ATOMIC Mini-Z LSD MR-02/03 Differential

Is the new Atomic LSD differential more useful (Or more suited for) Stock/Less-Powerful motor racing, in the way that the Kyosho gear differential isn't as effective as the ball differential for use with Modified/High-Power motors?

When running any Modified class, Ball differentials are the diff of choice because of the slip-adjustment they have.. Gear diffs "On/Off" power delivery tend to cause spin-out when trying to put down a lot of power. Even PN Racing's Precision machined gear diff isn't adjustable enough to make it a good choice rather than a ball diff for Mod racing.

I'm just trying to get an idea of what the new Atomic LSD gear diff is best suited for? I don't see gear differentials being used much at all, if at all, with the new BL motors.. Kyosho sells the VE Brushless chassis set with a ball diff...

Is there something I'm missing? I'm not familiar with other scales of RC racing and I am wondering if I'm wrong that gear LSD diffs aren't very effective for rear-wheel drive MR-02/03 racing? Wouldn't a new revision or invention with the ball differential be much more interesting - And useful - now with high-powered BL motors coming to Mini-Z?

Thanks in advance for the help
Old 2013.06.25, 02:56 AM   #2
danjoyy25

It might work on drag racing application
danjoyy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.02, 02:05 AM   #3
Felix2010

OK, I might have spoken too soon when I said the new Atomic LSD diff could use some "new" design parts --- Because I have been checking the exploded diff pics and the newly-for sale hop-ups for this LSD diff and I found a couple cool items..

First, there are 2 new O-Ring sets for this LSD Diff, AR-286-ORA, and AR-286-ORB. Not only do these o-ring kits come with different hardness o-rings but they also include "weight balls" (Which I have yet to figure out how either work)..
There seems much more to this Diff than what I expected. SO let me say Atomic - Way to go with the fresh thinking. And next up, I guess i'ma have to just buy $50-$60 worth of LSD Parts + the LSD DIff itself to see what this thing is all about.

Hopefully this LSD Gear diff will be worth the $37 + $15-$20 in adjustable O-rings' kits, and a 64 pitch spur gear upgrade... We shall see.

In the meantime, anyone run their more beastly motors yet with this LSD diff? Thanks for all the pics Atomic; Incidentally though, are there any tips on how to tune this diff for Stock motors (50t-70t), And especially for tuning this diff to handle high-torque/High-RPM motors (Brushed motors less than 35t (and/or BL motors)?
Old 2013.07.16, 11:48 AM   #4
Bodom

Hi Felix,
I cannot answer your question in the first place , but I have some thoughts on this new diff.
As I understand the way it works - it locks itself when a certain RPMs are reached. This certain RPMs are fine-tuned with the hop-up parts (AR-286-ORA, and AR-286-ORB).
But I cannot get the fact that the clutch is situated at the spur gear side only and it spins with the spur gear side wheel speed. Being so.. if I block the spur side wheel and turn the motor on.. the clutch will remain stationary and will not engage. While if I stop the other wheel and spin the motor up - the clutch will spin and engage at a certain moment causing the diff to lock and spin the stationary wheel as well.
Am I missing something?
Old 2013.09.12, 03:30 PM   #5
tudor_47

Angry LSD diff Q?Q?

OK,

i have been trying to run the LSD diff tonight on our track. I run a modifiesd (P28V2 with PN43T motor) Ther LSD diff is very smooth and feels good for a few laps then it stops working.

What happens is that the clutch shoes that are supposed to lock the diff drift out onto the rim and by doing so the diff stops working and the car will not move at all.

I must let you know that I ran the diff straight out of the package. I have not yet tried any optional o-rings for the clutch system.

I am very dissapointed with this diff. I hope someone here has been able to get it to work? Maybe mine is a bad production item? Or is it simply a question of me needing the optional hard O-ring kit (AR-286-ORB)??

Get a P28

Our new track at MiniZata Were we race My P28
tudor_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.09.12, 07:45 PM   #6
defcone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudor_47 View Post
OK,

i have been trying to run the LSD diff tonight on our track. I run a modifiesd (P28V2 with PN43T motor) Ther LSD diff is very smooth and feels good for a few laps then it stops working.

What happens is that the clutch shoes that are supposed to lock the diff drift out onto the rim and by doing so the diff stops working and the car will not move at all.

I must let you know that I ran the diff straight out of the package. I have not yet tried any optional o-rings for the clutch system.

I am very dissapointed with this diff. I hope someone here has been able to get it to work? Maybe mine is a bad production item? Or is it simply a question of me needing the optional hard O-ring kit (AR-286-ORB)??
Been playing around with one lately with a pn33t and never had your issue before. Might be unlucky, maybe try and replace the o ring and try again?
defcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.09.16, 02:51 AM   #7
tudor_47

OK,
had a second testdrive with the LSD and I now mounted the black o-ring in the clutch shoes.
The diff gets better, but the same problem occurs at first bump in the rails I loose all drive . Diff now in parts box waiting for a fix from Atomic if they are listening, I have contacted them through their web-site.

Too bad as I really liked it when it was working.

Get a P28

Old 2013.10.04, 11:14 AM   #8
TheRinger
THATS HOW I ROLL

Tudor 47 any updates? Been thinking about buying this diff but it looks like the way the diff is made you can't run 0 offset with it. Does anyone know if you can?
Old 2013.10.04, 05:21 PM   #9
Sinister_Y

I love this diff. Works better than adj ball diff IMO. Our club's fastest racer agrees. Our general comment is that is seems to work like a one way. However that being said, another fast racer in our club does not like it. there's only been a few who has tried it. with about 2/3 liking it. I personally would recommend it if you're looking for something new to try.

No issues with the diff. I used the optional red clutch o-ring though.
Sinister_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.10.06, 03:06 PM   #10
tudor_47

Atomic is silent, no respnce no nothing.

I have the diff tucked away as it is OK but only until you grace the border of the RCP once, then the clutch shoes goes into the wheel and leeve you standing...

I ran the diff with the hardest o-ring for the clutch shoes. clakc o-ring from optional package.

I can not recommend the diff.

Get a P28