Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2018.12.20, 11:50 AM   #1
Qball41

KS series tires

I have read a lot about silicone tires and avoiding them on RCP. I know PN Racing makes some ties with Silicone in them. Do the KS series tires include Silicone?

I would like to limit our local racing to non-silicone tires, but not mandate the Kyosho tires.
Old 2018.12.20, 12:16 PM   #2
briankstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qball41 View Post
I have read a lot about silicone tires and avoiding them on RCP. I know PN Racing makes some ties with Silicone in them. Do the KS series tires include Silicone?

I would like to limit our local racing to non-silicone tires, but not mandate the Kyosho tires.
the PN KS tires are not Silicone tires. they are made for RCP Tracks.
Old 2018.12.20, 12:25 PM   #3
TPDazzle

When you look on Kenon their tires are divided and labelled for carpet (have silicon) and RCP. Any tire they sell for RCP should be silicon free.
TPDazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.12.20, 12:29 PM   #4
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
For PN, only the ones labeled carpet had any silicone in them. PN was one of the first to push the ban against silicone tires on rcp. The drop in performance hurt their RCP tire performance more than kyosho rubber, but we are all thankful for not racing with silicone in the tracks anymore. It really diffs some funky stuff.

The older atomic tires not labeled for rcp have silicone, as well as just about any tire labeled for carpet use.

Silicone rubber worked well on the front end to have progressive steering with low risk of traction rolling, but it removed traction for rubber slicks in the rear. On highly silicone embedded tracks, you almost needed to use kyosho 20 radials in the rear or you had no grip back there. The silicone would gunk up, and if you didn't have decent tread, it would get slippery. Cleaning the tires every run made a big difference. Without silicone in the track, I don't even clean the tire, and slicks work well.

The PN tread pattern wasn't as deep as the kyosho radial, so compound of the rubber may not have been what made the reaction so much lower compared to kyosho.
Old 2018.12.20, 12:48 PM   #5
Qball41

Thank you all for the confirmation!

When our group started out, we were not aware of the silicone/ no silicone issue. We had folks running all kinds of tires including those with silicone. This was on the smooth side of RCP. Needless to say, we have experienced what others have described here with rubber tires glazing over after a few laps due to silicone on the track.

We are now looking at flipping to the textured side of the RCP track and want to make sure the same thing doesn't repeat itself.
Old 2018.12.20, 01:17 PM   #6
EMU
EMUracing

I like the smooth side a lot more than the textured side.
Old 2018.12.20, 01:34 PM   #7
Qball41

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
I like the smooth side a lot more than the textured side.
It will be interesting to see what our guys think. The Issue for us now is that if we use the smooth side, we need to run silicone tires because its the only thing that will work.
Old 2018.12.20, 02:06 PM   #8
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Your tire wear will increase significantly on the rough side so static camber settings will change to keep the tires from coning.

There is a professional Body Shop cleaner and degreaser that is used to wipe surfaces down before sealing. it is called Acrysol from Kent Industries. Try it on a single tile for safety purposes and apply with a cloth and rub vigorously until the surface dries. I am pretty sure it will work to remove the silicone. At least most of it.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.12.20, 04:00 PM   #9
Qball41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
Your tire wear will increase significantly on the rough side so static camber settings will change to keep the tires from coning.
Thank you for the cleaning suggestion. I can't imagine tire wear being worse. We are already having fronts that last one night only.
Old 2018.12.20, 04:17 PM   #10
EMU
EMUracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qball41 View Post
Thank you for the cleaning suggestion. I can't imagine tire wear being worse. We are already having fronts that last one night only.
What tires are only lasting one race? Are you cutting them down to paper thickness?
Old 2018.12.20, 04:53 PM   #11
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

I would ask the same thing. When we ran on the smooth side a set of tires would last a month or more of weekly racing with practice, two heats and an eight minute main.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.12.20, 05:20 PM   #12
Qball41

None of use have a truer, so nothing is being cut down. We are running them stock.

The fronts that were fast, but wore quickly were the PN 20 degree V groove fronts.

We have been running on the texture side for about a half hour now. On the smooth side, we were always fighting a push. now on the texture side, we are running kyosho 20 rear/ 30 front. That would typically push on the smooth side, but is a touch loose on the texture side. I never thought a 30 front could provide enough grip, but on textured, it does.

I then tried PN KS medium slicks on the front, and PN KS Super softs on the rear. That nailed it. My best laps were not faster than the kyoshos, but much more consistent. The car was stable and you could drive it harder.
Old 2018.12.20, 05:22 PM   #13
benwih

How about a tire compound like tweak 2000 or paragon fx? Is it safe for rcp?
benwih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.12.20, 05:27 PM   #14
Qball41

We don't use any tire treatment. And we don't clean them with any chemicals.
Old 2018.12.20, 07:20 PM   #15
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Should not use any traction compounds on RCP, any kind.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote