Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2005.09.21, 05:36 PM   #1
mugon

Question RCP Mini 96

Hi,

I'm interested in the mini 96 track, but I'm worried it might be a bit narrow, seen mixed reviews on the lane width.

Are blank mini tiles available separately? if needed, to increase the width in some areas.

How much would each additional tile cost?

Are the blank tiles the same color as the ones that come with the mini 96 set? I think I seen layouts with different shades of gray mini tiles. I would like them to be the same color if possible.

If any one has bought single mini tiles or a mini expansion set made up of mini straight pieces, please post the information (how much, single/set, etc)

Whats the total lane width with with 3 mini tiles across?

I have emailed RCP and the shop here with no response on availability or price. I'm trying to decide if I should buy it or go with a Wide L instead or just keep my current setup of carpet and pvc pipes.

Any information would be greatly appreciated
mugon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.09.21, 06:30 PM   #2
bolter9
How're YOU doin?

Send a message via Yahoo to bolter9
I paid $200 for the mini tile 96, and $100 for the expansion kit. The standard mini 96 width is two 30cm tiles (60cm total), while the expansion kit will allow you to expand approximately 50% of the track to three tiles wide (90cm total). I believe the wide L uses two 60cm tiles, so total width would be 120cm.

All RCP tiles are the same color- however you do find minor varations in the appearance, but it seems to be a result of the direction of the texture cut, and the way the light hits it- from what I can tell, there is no actual color difference in any of the tiles.

Individual 30cm tiles are available from time to time (from my experience)- Robert is the person to contact about getting some.

Robert also posted recently that mini 96 and expansion kits are out of stock until October.

In a nutshell, the mini 96 by itself is pretty narrow- it takes some getting used to, even when running by yourself, but it will make you a better driver for sure. If you want to race 3-4 cars, then definitely get the expansion kit...if you want to race more, and have a lot of space to set up, go with wide Ls.

I bought the mini 96 because I wanted a lot of turn options in the limited space I have (10x20ft)- with the expansion kit, I can comfortably race 4 cars with varying driver ability (I haven't tried more then 4). You'll be surprised at how quickly your drivers get up to speed and start making clean passes in the 60cm parts of the track!

This RCP setup is perfect for my needs, and without a doubt is the BEST racing surface I have driven on.

My Gallery

Last edited by bolter9; 2005.09.21 at 06:40 PM.
bolter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.09.21, 06:49 PM   #3
baldrick

Wide 'L'

[QUOTE=bolter9]I paid $200 for the mini tile 96, and $100 for the expansion kit. The standard mini 96 width is two 30cm tiles (60cm total), while the expansion kit will allow you to expand approximately 50% of the track to three tiles wide (90cm total). I believe the wide L uses two 60cm tiles, so total width would be 120cm.

The Wide 'L' has 50cm wide total 100cm

Keith...
baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.09.21, 07:01 PM   #4
bolter9
How're YOU doin?

[QUOTE=baldrick]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolter9
I paid $200 for the mini tile 96, and $100 for the expansion kit. The standard mini 96 width is two 30cm tiles (60cm total), while the expansion kit will allow you to expand approximately 50% of the track to three tiles wide (90cm total). I believe the wide L uses two 60cm tiles, so total width would be 120cm.

The Wide 'L' has 50cm wide total 100cm

Keith...
cool- thanks for the heads up. So with the 3 tile setup on the mini 96, you're only missing out on 10cm...plus you can go down to the 2 tile 60cm width for a bit of variety in your layout.

My Gallery
Old 2005.09.23, 01:13 PM   #5
fraz

Baldrick is correct 30cm and 50cm tiles. The 60cm lane widths are great for making you a better driver but I would recommend the expansion set for sure. Most of us are limited on space and the Mini 96 system works the best because with the expansion set you get the most flexibility within a small space.
Old 2005.11.23, 09:13 AM   #6
stepchild

Send a message via Yahoo to stepchild
Quote:

All RCP tiles are the same color- however you do find minor varations in the appearance, but it seems to be a result of the direction of the texture cut, and the way the light hits it- from what I can tell, there is no actual color difference in any of the tiles.

Individual 30cm tiles are available from time to time (from my experience)- Robert is the person to contact about getting some.

Robert also posted recently that mini 96 and expansion kits are out of stock until October.

In a nutshell, the mini 96 by itself is pretty narrow- it takes some getting used to, even when running by yourself, but it will make you a better driver for sure. If you want to race 3-4 cars, then definitely get the expansion kit...if you want to race more, and have a lot of space to set up, go with wide Ls.

I bought the mini 96 because I wanted a lot of turn options in the limited space I have (10x20ft)- with the expansion kit, I can comfortably race 4 cars with varying driver ability (I haven't tried more then 4). You'll be surprised at how quickly your drivers get up to speed and start making clean passes in the 60cm parts of the track!

This RCP setup is perfect for my needs, and without a doubt is the BEST racing surface I have driven on.

With the expansion kit, what is the L & W of you layout? Assuming you're using the layout RCP has on their web site.

Thanks

Mike
stepchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.11.23, 10:29 AM   #7
bolter9
How're YOU doin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchild
With the expansion kit, what is the L & W of you layout? Assuming you're using the layout RCP has on their web site.

Thanks

Mike
I've never set up that specific layout, but most of my layouts are designed to fit into an 18'x10' space. I have 6 additional turns and straights, so I can go a bit bigger then that if I want. Obviously those demensions will change depending on what layout you choose.

Here's a picture of one of my first layouts, built with the mini 96/expansion...with a couple tiles left over. It fit in my 18'x10' space....this'll give you some idea what to expect.

My Gallery
Old 2005.11.23, 11:04 AM   #8
stepchild

Quote:
I've never set up that specific layout, but most of my layouts are designed to fit into an 18'x10' space. I have 6 additional turns and straights, so I can go a bit bigger then that if I want. Obviously those dimensions will change depending on what layout you choose.

Here's a picture of one of my first layouts, built with the mini 96/expansion...with a couple tiles left over. It fit in my 18'x10' space....this'll give you some idea what to expect.
Hey, thanks for the info.

It looks like you have it setup in your garage. If I could do that I would have plenty of room. But my wife would not like her car outside.

I have about 10' x 16' area I can use. The dimensions on the RCP web site says their mini 96 is 8'x12'. I was just hoping with expansion it would remain with area I have to use. And this would give me a wider track.

By the way what is the width of track with expansion?

Thanks

Mike
Old 2005.11.23, 01:03 PM   #9
bolter9
How're YOU doin?

I only set my track up on the weekends- my wife's car goes in the garage the rest of the time The trick is to not break your track down all the way for storage- I keep the corners intact, and break the straights down to individual sections (with rails and expansion in tact). With this method, I can get the track setup and cleaned in 20 minutes or so (unless I'm designing a new layout on the fly), and taken down in about 10. When I'm done I stack the pieces in the corner of my garage.

10x16 is definitely enough space- you'll be working with oblong layouts and your straights will be a little shorter, but not by much.

The expansion kit comes with enough tiles to widen approximately 50% of the track to 3 tiles wide. Each tile is 30cm, so your expanded lanes will be 90cm. Depending on the layout, you should have no problems setting this up in a 10x16 area.

hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchild
Hey, thanks for the info.

It looks like you have it setup in your garage. If I could do that I would have plenty of room. But my wife would not like her car outside.

I have about 10' x 16' area I can use. The dimensions on the RCP web site says their mini 96 is 8'x12'. I was just hoping with expansion it would remain with area I have to use. And this would give me a wider track.

By the way what is the width of track with expansion?

Thanks

Mike

My Gallery

Last edited by bolter9; 2005.11.23 at 01:06 PM.
Old 2005.11.23, 01:54 PM   #10
stepchild

Thanks a lot. That really does help.

Mike