Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2008.01.24, 07:37 AM   #31
xxam

I see the ads on the "new posts" as 1/2 screen as well. I am hopeful it is a webpage design error, and will soon be corrected. Was there any response from minizracer at all?
xxam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.24, 08:26 AM   #32
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankstan View Post
I have to keep posting these pictures to show what I'm seeing. It's half my screen on some of the pages.

This was a screen shot of the "New Posts" page. on that I use all the time.

common now.

http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/Public/sidebar-2.jpg
odd. it does not appear nearly that large on ANY of my screens. i wonder if it has anything to do with screen settings, etc.?

yes, Mini-Z is working on running changes, some based on member comments
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Untitled.pdf (278.2 KB, 11 views)
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.24, 09:28 AM   #33
briankstan

my screen at work looks alot like the pic you posted Arch2b, my widescreen monitor at home is completely different though.

standard screen is at 1280 x 1024 resolution
Widescreen is at 1680 x 1050 resolution

that might have something to do with it?
Old 2008.01.24, 09:38 AM   #34
arch2b

i'm not an expert but yes, i'd say widescreens have alot to do with it. my wife has 2 screens, normal and widescreen and it's very easy to see the effects when you drag a window from one screen to another. simply put, it widens everything accordingly thus the sidebar will appear much wider however i don't understand why propotionally it would not be capped to a proportional ratio? again, i'm no pc expert... i couldn't work with what your seeing though. i've forwarded your stuff to mini-z too.

what is noticeable however is that on the same monitor, the sidebar here is much larger than that on any of the other community forums.

Last edited by arch2b; 2008.01.24 at 09:48 AM.
Old 2008.01.24, 09:55 AM   #35
arch2b

found yet another quirk.... from the post view, the side bar is much smaller than from the forum menu view. see the attached pdf's. infact, it's even slimmer while posting.
Old 2008.01.24, 10:18 AM   #36
briankstan

I see the same while making a post. In my opinion that is the size that the sidebar should be locked to.

It's big enough for the ad banners and leaves the rest of the screen available for reading post.
Old 2008.01.24, 09:05 PM   #37
Kamer

the sidebar sux bad.... ;(
Kamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.24, 09:08 PM   #38
byebye

The side bar was my idea......

Kris
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.24, 09:43 PM   #39
Draconious

Send a message via AIM to Draconious Send a message via Yahoo to Draconious
The Main Forum TABLE cell needs an image with a WIDTH=100% and the Side bar needs to just be a hair narrower to let the forum suck up the rest of the available space with the 100% width...

Now.. if that side bar had a PERM chat room window on it 24/7... it might have a little more value to the forum visitors
Old 2008.01.25, 02:58 AM   #40
Jonny

I just thought I'd post my results as people are still having discrepancies - the sidebar on mine has been this size for 2 - 3 days, since the change after the first round of complaints. I'm on 1440x900 and it's a great size this end:

Jonny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MZR Sidebar.JPG (227.4 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Jonny; 2008.01.25 at 03:02 AM.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.25, 07:58 AM   #41
mini-z
Administrator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconious View Post
It should just be 80% the size it is... the same width as the upper ads with one boarder pixel would be enough...

Reduce the white boarder around it, and the gray empty space around the edge of the forum area and it should fit better... too much empty boarder space.

Basically my point is, the forum is priority so it should take up the extra space... not the boarders and ads...
Great idea D - this is what we implemented in the first revision - thanks!
mini-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.25, 08:00 AM   #42
mini-z
Administrator

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
its a nice addition but it makes it very cumbersome to surf on my iPhone. Is there a PDA view for the forum?
Thanks M; yes on your iPhone you'll want to use:

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/archive/index.php

Then click PDA. Thanks!
Old 2008.01.25, 08:06 AM   #43
mini-z
Administrator

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
I hate it...I think it's a little bit smaller than it originally was but I think it's terrible.

I come to the forums when I want information and I go to the shop when I want to shop. I also don't care about the other sites enough to want links to them 100% of the time. I know they exist and I will visit them on my own if I want to go there.
One of the goals of the sidebar is to promote awareness of the Shop, as well as the other TRC Communities. I can't tell you how many times I've seen "what, this site has a shop?! I've been a member for 2 years and had no idea!" or "can someone tell me where to find {product listed in the Recent list at the Shop}" or "are there any good 18th scale sites like this one?!". We've been using it on most of the other TRC sites w/ great success and no negative feedback, and only applied it here after extensive beta testing elsewhere. Of course, if there are better ways to accomplish our goals, we'll strongly consider adopting them instead.
Old 2008.01.25, 08:08 AM   #44
mini-z
Administrator

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstice View Post
I think the side bar is obnoxious. I'm on a 24" monitor so it's easy enough for me to expand to a width where it's less obnoxious but i'm sure it's completely maddening for someone on a typically sized screen.

If there's a way for users to choose to turn it on or off I think that'd be good.

If not I'd just keep it 10 pixels wider on both sides than the max width of the ad banners you have running.
S, it s/b less than 10 pixels now, please test and confirm. We made this change almost instantly, but apparently this caused a new problem for IE users, which s/b fixed now.
Old 2008.01.25, 08:09 AM   #45
mini-z
Administrator

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by simalive View Post
No, it's smaller than before now - less than 20% of my screen space. Colour blends well with the site too, works great for me.
Thanks simalive! Are using FireFox by any chance?