Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2010.10.03, 11:09 AM   #1
referjohn
REINSTATED

2.4ghz conversion ?'s

besides buying the 2.4 boards,
is there any other parts needed to convert over to ASF?

will i need to remove and solder/replace steering Pot?

Can my am F1 be converted to ASF? do i need to buy Gold battery bars?

i would love to convert 5 am cars F1, mr01,mr15 x 2 & mr02.

Thanks in advance
Old 2010.10.03, 11:38 AM   #2
Guinness

not sure about the F1 and mr01, but for the mr02 and mr015 you will need the ASF receiver cover (you don't technecally need it, but it will look better). i just converted an mr015 and i did not buy the cover, i just poked a hole through the sticker for the small antenna wire. also, there is no soldering required as long as you get the right board for the chassis.

here's an example of the AWD ASF receiver cover:

http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?p...4&cat=0&page=1
Guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.03, 11:58 AM   #3
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Right now there are 2 different ASF boards in production. The original (RA-18) has the standard servo motor for all previous models and the second gen board (RA-22) has a coreless motor that fits the MR03 servo.

The easier swap would of course be the RA-18 since there's nothing else to do other than appropriate wire length and placement and (as mentioned) cover swaps for a neat appearance.

The RAW-22 swap would be a tiny bit more involved (requiring a servo motor swap) but I think if you wanted to do away with the reverse lag of the RA-18 it might be the way to go.

I plan on building an F1 with the RA-22 board myself... I love the better response time of this board compared to the original ASF model.

As for your other question, I don't think you need to swap terminals to gold. I don't think there's that much of a performance gain to bother with the extra expense for the number of cars you have planned.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.03, 12:08 PM   #4
referjohn
REINSTATED

follow-up ? gentelmen.
is there a overland 2.4 conversion board in production?
Old 2010.10.03, 03:22 PM   #5
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
You would just need to extend/rewire the servo from a standard ASF board... I dont think there is any board specifically for the OL yet...
Old 2010.10.05, 05:26 AM   #6
Mrs Mini-Z
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by referjohn View Post
follow-up ? gentelmen.
is there a overland 2.4 conversion board in production?
There may not be a conversion kit, but they do now make a Kyosho Mini-Z Overland MV-01 RC Chassis Set (2.4GHz ASF), and of course it's available in the shop!
Mrs Mini-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.03, 11:13 PM   #7
ChiMiniRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysir View Post

The RAW-22 swap would be a tiny bit more involved (requiring a servo motor swap) but I think if you wanted to do away with the reverse lag of the RA-18 it might be the way to go.
Did I read that correctly? The mr-03 generation ASF board doesn't have the annoying reverse lockout lag?
ChiMiniRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.04, 12:16 AM   #8
miketre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMiniRc View Post
Did I read that correctly? The mr-03 generation ASF board doesn't have the annoying reverse lockout lag?
Yes, that is correct.
You can also have that annoying feature back by setting the ICS 'baktim' (back time) setting for the MR-03 specific ICS program.
Speaking of the ICS program, use only the MR-03 software for the MR-03 board.
miketre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.04, 12:17 AM   #9
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMiniRc View Post
Correct. I dont have much of a problem with the 02 ASF, but the 03 is better. Almost as fast as AM to reverse. On one of my MR03's I programmed in a little more lag since I kept engaging reverse a little on a small layout where I wanted to brake, coast then brake again.

In general, I feel that KO incorporated the reverse delay to promote the use of virtual inertia to make the car roll more off throttle and use of brake to decelerate. Most racers lose connection with their car because of the virtual inertia, which makes the car slow down less when you release the throttle (less drag brake). A little virtual inertia makes decelerations into corners much smoother, but you have to use brakes or use a setup with a lot of scrub if you want slow down alot in a corner. VI makes you brake more, and they probably found that their test drivers were engaging reverse when braking, and increased the reverse time.

I would have liked them to program the opposite, the ability to engage a little brake when in neutral position. This could work well for motors that have little drag brake like the X-Speed... I adjust this a little with my throttle trim, but there is a limit to what can be done with the controller without interfering with the reverse function. I started racing with an AM MR01 without brakes, and liked the way that I could adjust my drag brake with the throttle trim. When I fully released the throttle, I could have a very predictable brake, and I had instant reverse...

Sorry for the long tangent thought
Old 2010.10.05, 05:24 AM   #10
Mrs Mini-Z
Administrator

Sorry for intruding on your technical discussion, but I may have some items in the Mini-ZRacer.com Direct Marketplace that you could find helpful. All items are brand new/unused and have been parted out from larger projects. It's possible that there are other things too - my technical expertise ends at looking up part numbers

FS: Kyosho MR-02 and MR-015 2.4 GHz Conversion Set

FS: Kyosho MR-02 ASF 2.4 GHz RC Chassis Accessories Set

FS: Kyosho 2.4 GHz Receiver Covers

Thanks! - Mrs. Mini-Z
Mrs Mini-Z is offline   Reply With Quote