Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2005.01.08, 09:55 PM   #1
DAMZer
Zen_gineer

Lightbulb Project Anti Enzo McLaren, Pocket Change

The Enzo has been the standard in handling since the initial relase of the MM MR02, but the front end is not track freindly and its is a "boat" for its long length. A good handling "boat", but I wanted my sexy but twitchy McLaren to handle as well.

Of course you got to love the McLaren's looks to want to race it. If I didn't have an RCP Mini-96, I sure wouldn't put it on a PVC barrier track and race, but the foam rail system is very easy on the body.

The McLaren is very twitchy in stock trim, add the extra speed of the IW02, and it is a handful. This does not lead to a lot of confidence on the track for most, me in particular. I wanted the McLaren to emulate the handling of the Enzo. What makes the 2 cars different?

Took the IW02 chassis, added some toe-in, inch-ups, MZR MM O-plate, bearings, ball diff; now it is comparable to my MR02 chassis. Improved handling but it still didn't match. Got out the postal scales. Well that was an eye opener, shame my resolution is in 5 gram increments........the McLaren needs some weight!

Here's the pocket change bit; couldn't find any of the thin sticky back lead tape I use for balancing 1/10 tires, so I checked the workbench and found some double-sided tape and some spare change, 4 X.10= $0.40 worth.

Played around with locations and then tested on the track. My best trial came with $0.20 in the front and $0.20 in the rear.

Now the beast will roll through the chicane and hairpins like the Enzo cruise ship. Stability on the straights improved and believe it or not, my turn radius decreased. I thought for sure it would increase but it didn't. After running for about 30 minutes, I like it, not exactly like the Enzo, but it does inspire more confidence in it's milder reactions and stability.

Keep this in mind when need to tame one of your wild beasts.......
Old 2005.01.08, 10:20 PM   #2
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
nice review. myself and byebye added some alloy parts to our mclarens to give them some extra weight. they run much better now.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.01.08, 10:35 PM   #3
DAMZer
Zen_gineer

Right on...........my other Mr02 chassis has the alloy motor mount and some front end parts........but with the added speed it was not enough to make the McLaren a trustworthy combo for me..........
Old 2005.01.08, 11:02 PM   #4
byebye

Tires makes a huge diff too. Nice review of the iw-02 chassis in modded form. I have a set of gpm 8gs (A) type for rears and that helps the rear stick. I also use a side damper kit with hard springs. I'm sure if it was weighed it would weigh the same if not more than a dime. Good idea! My wife found a scale at a yard sale for me. It's a small medical one I think. She said it should be good to weigh parts and cars and stuff. Good woman
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.01.08, 11:30 PM   #5
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Nice review. I agree, Other better handling bodies other than the enzo is a plus. Never was real crazy about the enzo anyway. Do you guys mostly run hot motors? I have rcp track but run stock motors for the size of my track that seems perfect. My mclaren handles real good but could be stock motor (less speed)?

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.01.09, 01:16 AM   #6
michvin

it's not a body that does the trick - it's a width. Look at two cars - Enzo is ~5 mm wider in the rear and 2 mm in front... Unfortunately, McLaren won't accept Enzo wheels - they protrude well outside the body I would love to see Enzo loosing couple of grams....
I'm painting blank McL body now - will report how it handles next Friday after race
Old 2005.01.09, 02:51 AM   #7
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfisminiz
Nice review. I agree, Other better handling bodies other than the enzo is a plus. Never was real crazy about the enzo anyway. Do you guys mostly run hot motors? I have rcp track but run stock motors for the size of my track that seems perfect. My mclaren handles real good but could be stock motor (less speed)?
Less speed will affect how well the car drives. I look pro when the batts start running low. I flipped my RCP to the slick side because I felt the lighter MCl was sliding easier on the textured side. There was a significant difference when using some very sticky tires. I My track length is just over one wide-L and I can turn some faster laps with an SO3 than an x-speed. My 8yr old son runs an x-speed with a 1x1 4562. My wife runs a x-speed with stock fets. On arch2b's track they use the same motors and gearing. I would like to eventually have one turbo and one stock for each of us. I just have so many different setups for each car that it's hard to keep them equal. I plan on setting up the Team Z46 cars all the same. Tangent.

Stock motor means you won't be gonig into the corner as fast so it won't be a twitchy.
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.01.09, 07:58 AM   #8
herman

hmmm... very interesting.... damzer...

here's a pic from a very old thread...

http://minizracer.com/forums/attachm...ttachmentid=63
http://minizracer.com/forums/attachm...ttachmentid=65

i used tamiya mini 4wd weights... stuck them on with double sided tape

from this thread...

http://minizracer.com/forums/showthr...t=lead+weights

Last edited by herman; 2005.01.09 at 08:04 AM.
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.01.09, 12:39 PM   #9
DAMZer
Zen_gineer

Herman,

Yeah! Did that trick on my 206 which I still run, except I don't use the weights anymore, went to the Mid mount plate and alloy high motor mount. Keeping that rear end ultra flat/stiff and with the added aloy mount weight did the trick for me.

ByeBye, I'm running 8 degree GPM rears with a chevron pattern, 15 degree flat fronts. I've got my MR02's with lots of alloy, but for the time being, I'm trying to keep most of the alloy off the IW's, except for steering knuckles and ball diff which I consider a must. We shall see, it is so tempting to bring out the contrasts with alloy............

See my original alloy beasty from '03

http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/sh...threadid=11173