Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2007.03.14, 01:02 PM   #1
bnwhtlw
i heart oversteer
 
bnwhtlw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Charlottesville, Va.
Posts: 514
Send a message via AIM to bnwhtlw
Do your AWD Mclarens Traction Roll?

I set up a Mclaren on my AWD racer and man that thing rolls worse than my CLK. Is it possible that the roll is caused by the fact that the front knuckles travel very little.

If your not having issues with it rolling on RCP what is your set up.

My set up is
GPM 20* front,
Kyosho 30* radials rear.
SAS w/ stock springs - 2* camber 1* toe
Front is stock plastic 1.5 camber w/ 2 degrees of toe. Stock springs. One .8mm preload spacer.

Thoughts?
Would an overall stiffer set up work better?
You can hear the knuckles clicking on the body when turning. Kinda interesting to hear how much the knuckles move.

Did try 3* camber in the front but that didnt make alot of difference.
bnwhtlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.14, 01:27 PM   #2
pchan0
Team ShoBoi
 
pchan0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,270
Send a message via ICQ to pchan0 Send a message via MSN to pchan0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwhtlw
I set up a Mclaren on my AWD racer and man that thing rolls worse than my CLK. Is it possible that the roll is caused by the fact that the front knuckles travel very little.

If your not having issues with it rolling on RCP what is your set up.

My set up is
GPM 20* front,
Kyosho 30* radials rear.
SAS w/ stock springs - 2* camber 1* toe
Front is stock plastic 1.5 camber w/ 2 degrees of toe. Stock springs. One .8mm preload spacer.

Thoughts?
Would an overall stiffer set up work better?
You can hear the knuckles clicking on the body when turning. Kinda interesting to hear how much the knuckles move.

Did try 3* camber in the front but that didnt make alot of difference.
Are you sure the front 20 and rear 30 tire combo works for you? That's the first problem I can see for your traction roll.
__________________
Futaba l Muchmore l AHRP l Aldus Design l Atomic
pchan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.14, 01:28 PM   #3
bnwhtlw
i heart oversteer
 
bnwhtlw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Charlottesville, Va.
Posts: 514
Send a message via AIM to bnwhtlw
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchan0
Are you sure the front 20 and rear 30 tire combo works for you? That's the first problem I can see for your traction roll.
What do you suggest? Too grippy?
bnwhtlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.14, 02:21 PM   #4
simpleskin
Registered User
 
simpleskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 273
Send a message via AIM to simpleskin Send a message via Skype™ to simpleskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwhtlw
What do you suggest? Too grippy?
I run Kyosho 20 wide slicks in the rear and GPM 15's up front. I don't have traction roll with my Mclaren on RCP. I have zero camber knuckles all the way around and Atomic silver springs. I think those are the 2nd hardest?

Ping me later if you want full details of this setup. I'm at work so I may have something wrong.
__________________
My Gallery

MR-02 AD
MR-02 AD with narrow PN front tower bars
3 x dNaNo
2 x MA-010
3 x MR-03
MR-015
Overland
F1
simpleskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.14, 02:53 PM   #5
jbevins
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Miamisburg
Posts: 145
Send a message via AIM to jbevins Send a message via Yahoo to jbevins
I run 2 AWD's the one is bone stock with 30deg atomics a.w. groove in the rear and 40deg Kyosho MT's up front and on my modified AWD it has 10deg 3racing in read and 20deg Kyosho MT front
jbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.14, 03:00 PM   #6
pinoyboy
Registered User
 
pinoyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Stone Mountain,GA
Posts: 1,301
Send a message via AIM to pinoyboy Send a message via MSN to pinoyboy Send a message via Yahoo to pinoyboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwhtlw
I set up a Mclaren on my AWD racer and man that thing rolls worse than my CLK. Is it possible that the roll is caused by the fact that the front knuckles travel very little.

If your not having issues with it rolling on RCP what is your set up.

My set up is
GPM 20* front,
Kyosho 30* radials rear.
SAS w/ stock springs - 2* camber 1* toe
Front is stock plastic 1.5 camber w/ 2 degrees of toe. Stock springs. One .8mm preload spacer.

Thoughts?
Would an overall stiffer set up work better?
You can hear the knuckles clicking on the body when turning. Kinda interesting to hear how much the knuckles move.

Did try 3* camber in the front but that didnt make alot of difference.
I don't have a mclaren or even a 98mm wheel base, but I might be able to help. To me, it sounds like you have too much rear grip. I was having chattering problems in corners, which is due to too much rear grip. If I had any more grip, my MA-010 would be having flipping problems like yours.

When I had chattering problems, this was my rear setup

-2* camber on SAS
-1* toe in on SAS
- Orange springs on SAS

My car now has very little chattering problems, and this is the new rear setup

-2* rear Camber on SAS
-0* toe on SAS
-Red springs in SAS

Tire setup was the same for both.( Stock Ma-010 rear tires, and GPM 15 fronts.) Hope I was of some help
__________________
pinoyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.14, 09:07 PM   #7
CristianTabush
Registered User
 
CristianTabush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,683
Not to step on your toes Pinoy, but Pchan is right. GPM 20 fronts have WAY too much grip. This is perhaps the grippiest available front tire in the market on RCP. I suggest trying 20 ded Kyosho radials in the rear with a pn18 slick Front or Atomic 30 deg AWD groove. I would then go to an atomic S.E. #2 spring or PN green in the front. Finally here's the kicker. Install a rear "lip" wing instead of the stock McLaren wing. Very simply made the width of the car with about a 2/3 inch chord length and 30 deg angle on it. Stick it on with some servo tape. The wing is the Key. We did some experiments with the Feinsteins on this and it works. Very well. You see all Mini-Z bodies provide lift on the rear tires (except for the Pan car style bodies). A wing this size provides just the necessary amount of downforce at the rear tires. The AWD CG is a bit higher than on the MR02 and when cornering hard, it tends to lift the inside rear tire. This amount of downforce (about 2-3 grams) is enough to almost entirely eliminate traction rolling. (effective about 99% of the time)

Hope it helps. Give us some feedback on the results.
__________________
Cristian Tabush
REFLEX RACING USA
10 Time Mini-Z World Champions!!!
http://www.reflexracing net
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.14, 09:14 PM   #8
pinoyboy
Registered User
 
pinoyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Stone Mountain,GA
Posts: 1,301
Send a message via AIM to pinoyboy Send a message via MSN to pinoyboy Send a message via Yahoo to pinoyboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush
Not to step on your toes Pinoy, but Pchan is right. GPM 20 fronts have WAY too much grip. This is perhaps the grippiest available front tire in the market on RCP. I suggest trying 20 ded Kyosho radials in the rear with a pn18 slick Front or Atomic 30 deg AWD groove. I would then go to an atomic S.E. #2 spring or PN green in the front. Finally here's the kicker. Install a rear "lip" wing instead of the stock McLaren wing. Very simply made the width of the car with about a 2/3 inch chord length and 30 deg angle on it. Stick it on with some servo tape. The wing is the Key. We did some experiments with the Feinsteins on this and it works. Very well. You see all Mini-Z bodies provide lift on the rear tires (except for the Pan car style bodies). A wing this size provides just the necessary amount of downforce at the rear tires. The AWD CG is a bit higher than on the MR02 and when cornering hard, it tends to lift the inside rear tire. This amount of downforce (about 2-3 grams) is enough to almost entirely eliminate traction rolling. (effective about 99% of the time)

Hope it helps. Give us some feedback on the results.
No problem, your the expert here! Try his setup as it is more directly related
__________________
pinoyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.17, 09:12 PM   #9
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT
 
lfisminiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: pa.
Posts: 5,027
Cristian

Can you post pics of the wing you made for the mclaren body.
__________________
MINI-Z BODY NUT





DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.18, 03:51 AM   #10
shuter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfisminiz
Can you post pics of the wing you made for the mclaren body.
Yes please do. I would also like to see it.
shuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.18, 06:37 PM   #11
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT
 
lfisminiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: pa.
Posts: 5,027
shuter

Look under the sas thread at top. EMU found some of the older wing pics.
__________________
MINI-Z BODY NUT





DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.26, 12:47 PM   #12
machine
learning the hard way
 
machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Surrey B.C
Posts: 607
I haven't noticed a probelm with traction rolls before. I've been running 20 all round on RCP and stock camber and toe. But i've been racing it as a stock class, having just changed to a mod class, i notice now a ton of rear hop with the increased speed (still no traction rolls). The SAS will help solve this? As far as a mod wing, our rules don't allow any mods to the bodies 'cept for repairs.

I'm also running a Iwaver mac for a body, it has a smoother front nose that glances of the RCP rails better than the Kyosho mac. FYI
__________________
[
[Western Canada's Mini Rc Home[/URL]
machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.26, 01:15 PM   #13
wsaenotsock
Registered User
 
wsaenotsock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Duluth, GA
Posts: 167
You'll still get chattering with the SAS if it's too soft. With orange springs and Atomic 10's in the rear it's uncontrollable when entering a turn at high speed. Switching to a harder tire in the rear or stiffening the rear will help control the chattering. Make sure there is some preload on the springs as well. The tension helps tame the chatter.
wsaenotsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.28, 08:34 AM   #14
CristianTabush
Registered User
 
CristianTabush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,683
The chattering is caused by not using the rear damper grease, or not using it correctly. If you stuff the damper shock with it and drill a hole at the top to let some air breathe in and out the chatter disappears.
__________________
Cristian Tabush
REFLEX RACING USA
10 Time Mini-Z World Champions!!!
http://www.reflexracing net
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.22, 08:17 PM   #15
eztuner12
Do you want to go fasst??
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Miami FL./ Sto Dgo, Dom Rep.(The Jungle)
Posts: 1,867
Exclamation Chattering & Traction Roll ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush
The chattering is caused by not using the rear damper grease, or not using it correctly. If you stuff the damper shock with it and drill a hole at the top to let some air breathe in and out the chatter disappears.
Is this term “Chattering” means a sound that the rear SAS makes??
What the term “Traction Roll means??
Do any of these have to see with the car flipping over at turns??
Thx
eztuner12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MR010 AWD that much better than MR02/015? philophob Beginner Questions 6 2008.03.19 06:53 PM
Parts list for future AWD arch2b Washington DC Area GTG, MD/VA/DC 17 2006.12.27 11:27 PM
awd traction rolling cmain Mini-Z AWD MA-010, MA-015 19 2006.02.10 10:00 AM
official kyosho awd product description herman Mini-Z AWD MA-010, MA-015 16 2005.09.30 09:18 PM
Kyosho Announces AWD Mini-Z! mini-z Mini-ZRacer.com Announcements 0 2005.08.25 12:24 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2011 Mini-ZRacer.com
Mini Inferno Sale - Up to $85 Instant Savings!
Micro-T Hop-Ups
RC18R, M18, Micro RS4, Mini-LST, TamTech-Gear, Minizilla, RC18T, RC18B, RC18MT
shop.tinyrc.com Products

more»
Tiny RC Community News
[03/22/17] MZR was on vacation, didn't... : All kidding aside, the host experienced a bit of a server meltdown last week and efforts to restore the site to a new server took longer than anticipated. The current server is temporary until - more»
[11/25/15] Did You Hear? Our Black... : Hey Racers,
We're getting started a bit early with our Black Friday sale this year.  Generally we're not supporters of retailers opening early on Thanksgiving, but in our case, we're - more»
[06/30/15] shop.tinyrc.com: Have You... : Hey All! Just a quick reminder to everyone that we post all of our shop.tinyrc.com Newletters here on the MZR Forum. If for some reason you miss them in your email inbox, you can always see the - more»
Mini-Z, Mini-Z Racer, MR-02, MA-010
M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
Mini Inferno, Mini Inferno ST, half EIGHT, 1/16, 16th scale
Epoch, Indoor Racer, 1/43, 43rd scale
E-Savage, eSavage, eZilla, e-Zilla, HPI
Robots, Bots, Bipeds, Wheeled, Manoi, Roomba, NXT, Lego, Hacking
Crawling, Crawlers, Micro, RC, Losi Mini-Rock Crawler, Duratrax Cliff Climber
Kyosho Minium, Caliber 120, Minium Forums
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, Mini Inferno Hop-Ups, Mini Inferno Parts, M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts