Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2007.03.14, 01:02 PM   #1
bnwhtlw
i heart oversteer

Send a message via AIM to bnwhtlw
Do your AWD Mclarens Traction Roll?

I set up a Mclaren on my AWD racer and man that thing rolls worse than my CLK. Is it possible that the roll is caused by the fact that the front knuckles travel very little.

If your not having issues with it rolling on RCP what is your set up.

My set up is
GPM 20* front,
Kyosho 30* radials rear.
SAS w/ stock springs - 2* camber 1* toe
Front is stock plastic 1.5 camber w/ 2 degrees of toe. Stock springs. One .8mm preload spacer.

Thoughts?
Would an overall stiffer set up work better?
You can hear the knuckles clicking on the body when turning. Kinda interesting to hear how much the knuckles move.

Did try 3* camber in the front but that didnt make alot of difference.
bnwhtlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.14, 01:27 PM   #2
pchan0
Team ShoBoi

Send a message via ICQ to pchan0 Send a message via MSN to pchan0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwhtlw
I set up a Mclaren on my AWD racer and man that thing rolls worse than my CLK. Is it possible that the roll is caused by the fact that the front knuckles travel very little.

My set up is
GPM 20* front,
Kyosho 30* radials rear.
Front is stock plastic 1.5 camber w/ 2 degrees of toe. Stock springs. One .8mm preload spacer.

Thoughts?
You can hear the knuckles clicking on the body when turning. Kinda interesting to hear how much the knuckles move.

Are you sure the front 20 and rear 30 tire combo works for you? That's the first problem I can see for your traction roll.
Old 2007.03.14, 01:28 PM   #3
bnwhtlw
i heart oversteer

Send a message via AIM to bnwhtlw
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchan0
Are you sure the front 20 and rear 30 tire combo works for you? That's the first problem I can see for your traction roll.
What do you suggest? Too grippy?
bnwhtlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.14, 02:21 PM   #4
simpleskin

Send a message via AIM to simpleskin Send a message via Skype™ to simpleskin
Quote:
What do you suggest? Too grippy?
I run Kyosho 20 wide slicks in the rear and GPM 15's up front. I don't have traction roll with my Mclaren on RCP. I have zero camber knuckles all the way around and Atomic silver springs. I think those are the 2nd hardest?

Ping me later if you want full details of this setup. I'm at work so I may have something wrong.

MR-02 AD
MR-02 AD with narrow PN front tower bars
3 x dNaNo
2 x MA-010
3 x MR-03
MR-015
Overland
F1
simpleskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.14, 02:53 PM   #5
jbevins

Send a message via AIM to jbevins Send a message via Yahoo to jbevins
I run 2 AWD's the one is bone stock with 30deg atomics a.w. groove in the rear and 40deg Kyosho MT's up front and on my modified AWD it has 10deg 3racing in read and 20deg Kyosho MT front
jbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.14, 03:00 PM   #6
pinoyboy

Send a message via AIM to pinoyboy Send a message via MSN to pinoyboy Send a message via Yahoo to pinoyboy
Quote:

My set up is
GPM 20* front,
Kyosho 30* radials rear.

Thoughts?

I don't have a mclaren or even a 98mm wheel base, but I might be able to help. To me, it sounds like you have too much rear grip. I was having chattering problems in corners, which is due to too much rear grip. If I had any more grip, my MA-010 would be having flipping problems like yours.

When I had chattering problems, this was my rear setup

-2* camber on SAS
-1* toe in on SAS
- Orange springs on SAS

My car now has very little chattering problems, and this is the new rear setup

-2* rear Camber on SAS
-0* toe on SAS
-Red springs in SAS

Tire setup was the same for both.( Stock Ma-010 rear tires, and GPM 15 fronts.) Hope I was of some help
Old 2007.03.14, 09:07 PM   #7
CristianTabush

Not to step on your toes Pinoy, but Pchan is right. GPM 20 fronts have WAY too much grip. This is perhaps the grippiest available front tire in the market on RCP. I suggest trying 20 ded Kyosho radials in the rear with a pn18 slick Front or Atomic 30 deg AWD groove. I would then go to an atomic S.E. #2 spring or PN green in the front. Finally here's the kicker. Install a rear "lip" wing instead of the stock McLaren wing. Very simply made the width of the car with about a 2/3 inch chord length and 30 deg angle on it. Stick it on with some servo tape. The wing is the Key. We did some experiments with the Feinsteins on this and it works. Very well. You see all Mini-Z bodies provide lift on the rear tires (except for the Pan car style bodies). A wing this size provides just the necessary amount of downforce at the rear tires. The AWD CG is a bit higher than on the MR02 and when cornering hard, it tends to lift the inside rear tire. This amount of downforce (about 2-3 grams) is enough to almost entirely eliminate traction rolling. (effective about 99% of the time)

Hope it helps. Give us some feedback on the results.
http://www.reflexracing net
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.14, 09:14 PM   #8
pinoyboy

Send a message via AIM to pinoyboy Send a message via MSN to pinoyboy Send a message via Yahoo to pinoyboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush
Not to step on your toes Pinoy, but Pchan is right. GPM 20 fronts have WAY too much grip. This is perhaps the grippiest available front tire in the market on RCP. I suggest trying 20 ded Kyosho radials in the rear with a pn18 slick Front or Atomic 30 deg AWD groove. I would then go to an atomic S.E. #2 spring or PN green in the front. Finally here's the kicker. Install a rear "lip" wing instead of the stock McLaren wing. Very simply made the width of the car with about a 2/3 inch chord length and 30 deg angle on it. Stick it on with some servo tape. The wing is the Key. We did some experiments with the Feinsteins on this and it works. Very well. You see all Mini-Z bodies provide lift on the rear tires (except for the Pan car style bodies). A wing this size provides just the necessary amount of downforce at the rear tires. The AWD CG is a bit higher than on the MR02 and when cornering hard, it tends to lift the inside rear tire. This amount of downforce (about 2-3 grams) is enough to almost entirely eliminate traction rolling. (effective about 99% of the time)

Hope it helps. Give us some feedback on the results.
No problem, your the expert here! Try his setup as it is more directly related
Old 2007.03.17, 09:12 PM   #9
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Cristian

Can you post pics of the wing you made for the mclaren body.

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.18, 03:51 AM   #10
shuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfisminiz
Can you post pics of the wing you made for the mclaren body.
Yes please do. I would also like to see it.
shuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.18, 06:37 PM   #11
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

shuter

Look under the sas thread at top. EMU found some of the older wing pics.

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.26, 12:47 PM   #12
machine
learning the hard way

I haven't noticed a probelm with traction rolls before. I've been running 20 all round on RCP and stock camber and toe. But i've been racing it as a stock class, having just changed to a mod class, i notice now a ton of rear hop with the increased speed (still no traction rolls). The SAS will help solve this? As far as a mod wing, our rules don't allow any mods to the bodies 'cept for repairs.

I'm also running a Iwaver mac for a body, it has a smoother front nose that glances of the RCP rails better than the Kyosho mac. FYI
Old 2007.03.26, 01:15 PM   #13
wsaenotsock

You'll still get chattering with the SAS if it's too soft. With orange springs and Atomic 10's in the rear it's uncontrollable when entering a turn at high speed. Switching to a harder tire in the rear or stiffening the rear will help control the chattering. Make sure there is some preload on the springs as well. The tension helps tame the chatter.
wsaenotsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.28, 08:34 AM   #14
CristianTabush

The chattering is caused by not using the rear damper grease, or not using it correctly. If you stuff the damper shock with it and drill a hole at the top to let some air breathe in and out the chatter disappears.
http://www.reflexracing net
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.22, 08:17 PM   #15
eztuner12
Do you want to go fasst??

Exclamation Chattering & Traction Roll ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush
The chattering is caused by not using the rear damper grease, or not using it correctly. If you stuff the damper shock with it and drill a hole at the top to let some air breathe in and out the chatter disappears.
Is this term “Chattering” means a sound that the rear SAS makes??
What the term “Traction Roll means??
Do any of these have to see with the car flipping over at turns??
Thx
eztuner12 is offline   Reply With Quote