Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2007.02.12, 12:37 PM   #1
pinwc4

Truck racing class

I have been wanting to start a truck racing class for quite some time. Now that I have well more than enough jumps for the track I would like to start a truck racing class. My plan is to use the HFAY OLPS layout as the base and add jumps to it. Is anyone other than me interested?

Last edited by pinwc4; 2007.02.12 at 04:01 PM.
pinwc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.02.13, 07:11 PM   #2
GrfxDan
RacerTag: Drinian

Send a message via AIM to GrfxDan Send a message via MSN to GrfxDan Send a message via Yahoo to GrfxDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwc4
I have been wanting to start a truck racing class... ...Is anyone other than me interested?
Yes, I'm interested but I'm not sure I have the budget for another class. I assume 1:28th scale Mini-Z Monsters since you're planning on running them on the HFAY layout w/ bumps?
Old 2007.02.13, 07:39 PM   #3
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY

I suggest running overlands. We run them and they are tons of fun.

http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/media/Overland_race_3.wmv

http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/media/8-4-05_overland.wmv
Old 2007.02.13, 08:20 PM   #4
pinwc4

I figured the class would be more more open, 1/28th and 1/36th in general. Meaning Overlands, Mini-Z Monsters, XMOD trucks, and the Losi Micro-T. Maybe even let it be a mod class instead of a strict adherence to motor's and electronics.

As is I know Gasser has a XMOD truck, I have 2 Micro-T's, an Overland and a Monster, and I think Draygo may jump in if I start this?

If we were to be more strict to try to level the playing field I would suggest the Micro-T or the Overland as the best options. My preference would actually be on the Micro-T as I think it will handle the off road course the best.

Since the briankstan noticed this thread I do feel the necessity to say that this could be a great addition to the HFAY OLPS. Use the on-road layout add some Imat jumps in and let everyone compete in an offroad class.
Old 2007.02.14, 10:38 PM   #5
Draygo

I am interested. Like GrfxDan, I'm not entirely certain I have the budget to keep 2 different classes of vehicle in repair. I think if we could find a decent truck that (after the required durability upgrades) would hold up to a little abuse I would be game. From what I've seen so far I think I would want to go with the Micro-T's.
Draygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.02.15, 06:45 PM   #6
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draygo
I am interested. Like GrfxDan, I'm not entirely certain I have the budget to keep 2 different classes of vehicle in repair. I think if we could find a decent truck that (after the required durability upgrades) would hold up to a little abuse I would be game. From what I've seen so far I think I would want to go with the Micro-T's.
Yeah, all of them would require some sort of upgrade to be durable. The Micro-T RTR is around 80$. But there are some weak points, for certain the rear suspension arm hub, probably the front one too, and many people have problems with the tie rods (although these can be made from zip ties or lexan and be quite durable). I haven't had a tie rod problem yet but I loosened mine right out of the box since they looked problematic. I would also expect knuckles to be common problem. So to get those upgrades plus some bearings your are looking at a little less than 150$. That is assuming they are necessary.

Really we just need to race these around some to see if it is workable. I have 2 and maybe we could setup an hour early next time to do some practice offroad racing. My overland is still running so we could race with it to for comparison.
Old 2007.02.15, 07:47 PM   #7
Draygo

Hey just a thought. These Micro-T's are supposed to be off road right? Do we have enough space and track to setup a third track partly on and partly off the green stage at the front of the room?
Old 2007.02.15, 08:54 PM   #8
pinwc4

Quote:
Hey just a thought. These Micro-T's are supposed to be off road right? Do we have enough space and track to setup a third track partly on and partly off the green stage at the front of the room?
Do you mean with the left over track? There would be around 1 L worth of track left. I think both Mark and I have an extra bump tile so if we really wanted to we could pack in a double jump, mogul, and large jump section within a L worth of track.
Old 2007.02.15, 09:41 PM   #9
Draygo

Yea, that's what I was thinking. I just wasn't sure there was enough left over track to make anything. I think that if it was setup the whole time more people would try it out.
Old 2007.02.15, 09:43 PM   #10
GrfxDan

Send a message via AIM to GrfxDan Send a message via MSN to GrfxDan Send a message via Yahoo to GrfxDan
Sounds like fun. Unfortunately my hobby budget has already been blown since I ordered an MA-010 chassis set to get my Mini-Z fixed.
Old 2007.02.15, 09:45 PM   #11
Draygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrfxDan
Sounds like fun. Unfortunately my hobby budget has already been blown since I ordered an MA-010 chassis set to get my Mini-Z fixed.
How did you trash your Mini-Z?
Old 2007.02.15, 09:59 PM   #12
GrfxDan

Quote:
How did you trash your Mini-Z?
Well, it's not completely trashed, it only has 2 problems: 1) it's much slower than Neo's and I don't know why; I'm guessing it's either the motor or batteries or a combination of both, and 2) I still have a steering problem that I'm 99.9% sure is in the PCB; most likely a bad FET. If I make anything less than a 100% left turn it doesn't respond at all. This could also be a bad FET, or servo motor or pot. Again, I'm not sure. Plus, since I changed servo motors I've got 3X more twitching that I ever had before. I decided rather than buying a new PCB ($108) and a new motor ($14) I'd be better off buying a new chassis kit ($130) and then I could replace the pot & servo gears as well... and have enough spare parts to put together a 2nd car (with the previously mentioned problems).
Old 2007.02.16, 04:03 PM   #13
pinwc4

Quote:
Yea, that's what I was thinking. I just wasn't sure there was enough left over track to make anything. I think that if it was setup the whole time more people would try it out.
Well I think if anyone will join me I would still like to setup an hour early and do some practice runs of the HFAY OLPS track with jumps. I have 2 Micro-T's and an Overland to share for the races. I will setup the core lap counter so we can run some actual races to get a feel for this type of class.

Once it gets close to HFAY OLPS time then I will setup an L on the stage with jumps so other people can try it out.
Old 2007.02.16, 09:28 PM   #14
GrfxDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwc4
Well I think if anyone will join me I would still like to setup an hour early and do some practice runs of the HFAY OLPS track with jumps. I have 2 Micro-T's and an Overland to share for the races. I will setup the core lap counter so we can run some actual races to get a feel for this type of class.
If I'm not mistaken there's another event scheduled in the fellowship hall until 3pm. You may want to double-check before just showing up early. I can look on the calender for you on Tuesday if you'd like.
Old 2007.02.16, 10:12 PM   #15
Draygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrfxDan
If I'm not mistaken there's another event scheduled in the fellowship hall until 3pm. You may want to double-check before just showing up early. I can look on the calender for you on Tuesday if you'd like.
I VPN'd in to GT to take a peak at the calendar. There is an event until 4 on the 24th and racing is not on there at all.