Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Mini RC

Old 2013.01.31, 07:30 AM   #286
Customizer

Send a message via AIM to Customizer
That is a clear improvement and a faster servo :-D

So is changing a servo motor (replacing the stock motor with a faster one) all that is required to increase servo reaction time?
Customizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.31, 08:55 AM   #287
gctkaz

Unlike Mini-Z, the RS32 uses a discrete servo like larger scale RC, you have to replace the whole servo but it's an easier job than it would be on Mini-Z.

I am still searching and actually have a few more servos on the way from HobbyKing. Hopefully I can update again later if any of those fit and work even faster. I would love to get this thing's steering response up closer to Mini-Z level.
gctkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.31, 08:59 AM   #288
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Servos function by 3 different variables:

1 motor quality
2. Gear ratio of internals
3. Esc in servo

That all together makes the difference from one servo to the next.

Changing the motor of a servo might show some improvement.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.01, 04:55 PM   #289
Customizer

Thanks for the information. I'm curious as i may decide to drop of Kyosho Mini Z servo into my AWD Firelap assuming they are compatible since everyone has spoken so highly of the mini Z servo. I haven't had any issues with the stock servo but if i can improve something cheaply i might as well.

Last edited by Customizer; 2013.02.01 at 05:03 PM.
Old 2013.02.01, 05:04 PM   #290
Customizer

Would you mind comparing the HS55 servo side by side with a Mini Z servo?

Also...what does an official Kyosho servo look like? Specifically...does it have a Kyosho label? Is Airtronics brand the official Kyosho servo?

Last edited by Customizer; 2013.02.01 at 05:10 PM.
Old 2013.02.01, 06:16 PM   #291
gctkaz

Unfortunately installing the Mini-Z servo into a Firelap AWD is going to be a very non-trivial exercise. The Mini-Z servo controller is integrated onto the main board with 5 wires to the motor and potentiometer, while AFAICT the Firelap AWD uses a discrete servo with standard 3-wire JR connector.

If you have ever taken apart a Z, you will notice that the servo is an open assembly specifically spaced to fit the Mini-Z chassis. It's unlikely that you'll be able to fit the gears into the Firelap even if you manage to swap the pot and motor onto the Firelap's servo controller. I expect you might have further trouble fitting a servo horn and saver.

Anyway by your request I made a video to compare my MA-010 RA-19 servo against the Hitec HS-55. The comparison is a bit sloppier this time since I had to work two radios at once, but there is still a noticeable speed difference. But this still helps me to get an idea of how much faster the RS32 steering needs to be.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wAH1fturJo

Your best bet with the Firelap is to get someone who has one to measure all the dimensions with calipers, and then go hunting for the fastest discrete micro servo you can find that fits the dimensions. You should try to aim for something below 0.10s/60degrees@4.8V... at least that's what I'm aiming for with the RS32!
Old 2013.02.01, 07:18 PM   #292
Customizer

Thank you !

The difference is pronounced! On the other hand i believe the Firelap AWD servo i have is faster than the HS-55 in the video. I'm going to test it tonight but i'm fairly confident it is based upon that video. I'd like to find out what the specs are for the IW04M servo simply so i can find an available superior servo. As it is i have no clue what the speed specs are.

Last edited by mleemor60; 2013.02.01 at 07:42 PM.
Old 2013.02.05, 11:57 AM   #293
Customizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gctkaz View Post
Unfortunately installing the Mini-Z servo into a Firelap AWD is going to be a very non-trivial exercise. The Mini-Z servo controller is integrated onto the main board with 5 wires to the motor and potentiometer, while AFAICT the Firelap AWD uses a discrete servo with standard 3-wire JR connector.

If you have ever taken apart a Z, you will notice that the servo is an open assembly specifically spaced to fit the Mini-Z chassis. It's unlikely that you'll be able to fit the gears into the Firelap even if you manage to swap the pot and motor onto the Firelap's servo controller. I expect you might have further trouble fitting a servo horn and saver.

Anyway by your request I made a video to compare my MA-010 RA-19 servo against the Hitec HS-55. The comparison is a bit sloppier this time since I had to work two radios at once, but there is still a noticeable speed difference. But this still helps me to get an idea of how much faster the RS32 steering needs to be.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wAH1fturJo

Your best bet with the Firelap is to get someone who has one to measure all the dimensions with calipers, and then go hunting for the fastest discrete micro servo you can find that fits the dimensions. You should try to aim for something below 0.10s/60degrees@4.8V... at least that's what I'm aiming for with the RS32!
Can you recommend a sub micro servo that meets those speed specifications? Or point me In the right direction as to the best place to locate one?

I've already found a Turnigy servo on a site that looks lime it needs the requirements but since I'm not really in the market for a servo myself i haven't given it much effort yet.
Old 2013.02.05, 07:28 PM   #294
gctkaz

I am waiting on delivery of a few different servos from hobbyking, but it could be a while until I receive them so I can't comment on the fit or performance. The hextronik HXT500 might fit your bill and only costs pocket change.

The Savox SH-0262MG is a popular one in the Losi micro community, very good spec but relatively pricey. At least it should last forever, it seems very durable.
Old 2013.02.11, 06:13 PM   #295
r46

i had got this servo for my losi truggy project been doing but shell was limiting factor so reverted back to hs55 for time being, now found its home in my recoil pro an works great
http://www hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14279

Dnano
#911 #Enzo #Lambo
Motoracer x2
02ex Hfay
02mod
03 Hfay
03 mod
03VE
F1ve
020 50t
030evo
AMZ
GL racing Rider

TZ4
reserved for

Last edited by mleemor60; 2013.02.11 at 07:07 PM.
r46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.12, 03:49 PM   #296
Customizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by r46 View Post
i had got this servo for my losi truggy project been doing but shell was limiting factor so reverted back to hs55 for time being, now found its home in my recoil pro an works great
http://www hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14279
Thanks for the link I need to stop being lazy and measure my cars stock servo to see if this one can be used. I'm sure i'd be much more motivated if i had problems with my current servo heh.
Old 2013.02.14, 04:04 PM   #297
gctkaz

Just took delivery of a shipment from Hobbyking.

Of the three servos I ordered (hextronic HXT500, Turnigy TG9e, Turnigy TGY-50090M), only the HXT500 would fit. The others are too tall and have large splines.

The HXT500 is very small, so I had to use a little bit of foam tape to hold it in place. I'm pretty happy with this servo now. It's not Mini-Z fast but it seems still faster than the HS-55 so I will be keeping this one installed.

Also in my shipment I had a Male Molex 1.25 to Female JR servo extension (Hobbyking part# 258000010). If you don't mind having a little extra weight in the car, it's worth getting one of these so that you don't need to do any soldering to fit standard servo leads into the RC-1 ESC. I should now say that the RS32 servo uses a Molex 1.25mm plug and NOT JST-SH 1.0mm as I incorrectly stated before.

Here's a pic using the cable adapter:

Now I am just waiting on shipments for Hot Racing 20-degree slicks, spare batteries, and a Losi motor. Now that the steering has been taken care of, I'm really looking forward to driving this thing more once I have better grip.

edit: It's all in my head. Side-by-side, I can't tell any difference in speed between the HXT500 and HS-55. I have gone back (again) to using the HS-55, but with a normal cable plus adapter. The HXT500 and the other Turnigy servos have some centering problems. Best to go with a more reliable brand, it really makes a difference.

Last edited by gctkaz; 2013.02.16 at 12:18 AM.
Old 2013.04.10, 10:47 PM   #298
gctkaz

It has been a while so I thought I should give an update on the current status of my love-hate relationship with the RS32.

I don't know if I had ever mentioned the hate part, but yea it's there and has always been there nagging even when I enjoyed the car.

- I got two extra stock HPI 4.8V NiMH batteries. Battery life still sucks, swapping batteries sucks even more. To make things worse, those batteries must have been sitting for a while since after the C32 charger indicated a full charge, I could only get maybe 90 seconds of run time. I pushed them through my B6 charger a few times and the batteries seem to be waking up a bit now.

- I got the Hot Racing 20-degree slicks, they are terrible. They suck even worse than the stock tires, no grip at all.

- Installed a Losi 1/24 high-power brushed motor, the one which comes stock in the AM version of the SCT/Rally. Had to widen the holes a bit on the plastic mounts. With a 6T pinion, it's way too fast for the stock tires which will lose traction at the slightest touch of the throttle.

So how are things now?

- Using Mini-Z tires. Atomic narrow A.W. Groove 10-degree rear, 30-degree front. They don't fit all that well, but traction difference is like night and day. I am switching my Mini-Z to Kyosho rubber and so I have a pile of Atomics lying around, but I hope to switch these over to Kyosho eventually.

- Stock battery removed, and instead using custom battery clip which is simply power leads soldered to neodymium button magnets. These will stick to a AAA/10440-sized cylindrical 3.6V/3.7V Li-Ion cell which just sits loose across the top of the chassis. Not quite optimal weight balancing, but the car isn't really fast enough to care.

Running at 3.6V, it brings down the motor speed, so the Losi SCT motor with 6T feels just about right for casual driving. Unfortunately the lower voltage means that the servo is slowed down a bit, but that's a tradeoff I'll take for the convenience of at least double the runtime plus 20-second battery changes, and at least with the HS-55 the steering should be no slower than stock on 4.8V. The battery wrap states 500mAh, but reality is closer to 300mAh.

I am expecting delivery on some Turnigy nanotech 1S 300mAh LiPo as well as some protected 10440 which have built-in LVC. I'll update again when I receive those, but I expect to use the protected 10440 more often if I don't want to start a fire in my RS32.