Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2006.06.15, 11:26 PM   #46
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

Sunday Sunday Sunday

Can I scream yet? I just found out the clubhouse is booked for Saturday again, so we are racing Sunday the 18th. (Trying to rent space week to week is frustrating, but we may have a permanent home later in the year).

Same times as listed before.

The clubhouse is at Sterling Park Apartments behind Fry’s Electronics at I-17 and Thunderbird. From Thunderbird turn South on 30th Ave between Fry’s and Lowe’s. The apartments are at the end of the drive. The clubhouse is at the front attached to the office.

Hooray! A short drive to the track!
Dusty Weasle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.06.18, 01:41 PM   #47
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

Well this is embarrassing. I was just informed we don’t have the location after all. Now we have to wait until 1:00 for the office to open and fill out paperwork… We should have the site by 2:00… I could have slept in.

An alternate being checked is to see if Speed Sports will let us run in the store today, which would be great really. The open space at the front of the store is just big enough for today’s track layout.

I’ll post here again when we know which location. With the delay I’d imagine the new start time will be 2-ish at either place. Sorry about the confusion. I’m about ready to just rent a damn building myself. It shouldn’t be this difficult to give somebody money.
Old 2006.06.18, 05:27 PM   #48
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

Exasperation, exasperation!

Ok, the paperwork trail and residency requirements would leave us getting the new clubhouse at 4pm, too late on a Sunday. We’ve been contacting other sites- Hotels, libraries, even Peter Piper Pizza… no luck.

This used to easy(ish). I’m about ready to throw away my retirement fund and open a building.

The hotel conference room is a possibility, but we won’t know until Monday. The Community Center is interested, but won’t do it until the Fall.

Well, sorry to anyone that made the trek out there for nothing. I didn’t even find out until I was loading the car to leave. We’ll try again next week, the rental glitches should be worked out by then. Somebody has to take our money for a room.

In fact, next weekend is our last chance to run the June OLPS to score our points, so we'll run in my garage if we have to. Somebody bring a portable A/C.
Old 2006.06.21, 02:47 AM   #49
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

Lord of the Keep

I have a plan to eliminate the location renting problems that have plagued us lately:

Mini-AZ meets will be scheduled every other Sunday at my house. If we can secure an air conditioned location then we’ll move it there, but it will happen as scheduled.

I figure there’s one building that I control, so I can always guarantee a place for us to race. Last Sunday after we canceled I went into the garage and it didn’t seem that horribly hot. There are a couple people with portable A/C units as well, so that would be a big help.

In a perfect world we’ll have a large and cooled location consistently rented. But in a pinch we’ll use my garage, the heat be damned.

So, once more unto the breach- This is our last opportunity to run the June OLPS and get our points. Saiyan, please try and get the clubhouse again. What’s the word on the hotel conference room?

June OLPS, Sunday the 25th at Dusty’s house (unless we secure a better location). Send me a PM if you need directions.

June OLPS
11:00-12:00 Track Setup and Open Practice
12:00-12:30 Clockwise Practice
12:30-1:00 Tech and Clockwise Qualifying
1:00-1:30 Clockwise OLPS
1:30-2:30 Lunch and/or Counterclockwise Practice
2:30-3:00 Counterclockwise Qualifying
3:00-3:30 Counterclockwise OLPS
3:30-*:** HFAY Track #6 Time Trials
Old 2006.06.24, 12:37 AM   #50
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

Progress Report

Just an update. We should know by tomorrow if we can finally get the clubhouse at 30th Ave and Thunderbird.

One of our members works at a plumbing company and can let us use the large warehouse floor. Since my garage is very hot and his office is cooled, we will probably run there if we can’t get the clubhouse.

The catch is it’s a lot farther away, Broadway and the 101. While it’s easy to get to on the 101, it’s a long drive (for me anyway). I hope that won’t be a problem for anyone that wanted to come by.

I’ll post here with updates as I get them.
Old 2006.06.24, 07:06 PM   #51
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

Location Set

June OLPS Race, Sunday the 24th location:
RainForest Plumbing Works
1701 S. Indian Bend, #108
Times as listed previously

It comes up a little odd on Google because the building is owned by Wolff Mechanical, so click on that location.

Exit the 101 at Broadway. Loop it around onto the North bound access road and take the first right. Cross the street and keep going straight to the building directly ahead.

Sorry about the huge shift in distance, but it’s a necessary evil given the heat. Starting July 8th we should be back at the north end of town.

The OK News:
We will be racing in a warehouse with evap cooling instead of my stiflingly hot garage. With the forecast for tomorrow being 111deg and the humidity rising, it was just looking untenable. I’d be afraid of cooking the laptop.

If we could have gotten a portable A/C unit in my garage it would have helped, but we would have had to close it up and then there wouldn’t be much space. The track pretty much takes up the whole thing.

The Great News:
We still can’t give the clubhouse money, go figure. They lose our business now. But the F.O.P. Lodge at 19th Ave and Thunderbird has a hall big enough and for a reasonable price, so the plan is to race there starting in July.

Their Sundays are booked for Bingo though, so we will have to switch to Saturdays. I’ll post the schedules as they develop.
Old 2006.07.04, 12:03 AM   #52
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

July OLPS

We held the June race at Dink’s warehouse office and it went off great. A little warm with the humidity overpowering the swamp cooler, but it worked well. Despite metal pipes, shelves, and framework, there was even less glitching than normal. And the smooth concrete floor made for fun drifting of 1:28 and 1:10 afterward.

Mini-AZ was fortunate to welcome two new drivers to the group, Hood and Joe. Welcome aboard guys. These are 1:10 and 1:4 scale experienced racers and judging from their performance running Z’s for the first time, I expect we’ll see them challenge for the OLPS lead.

We also have several more drivers from the local 1:10 scene who are interested in checking out what 1:28 has to offer, so Mini-AZ stands to grow significantly in the near future.

And so begins Season 2!
July OLPS
Saturday July 8th
Location TBA (see below*)

11:00-12:00 Track Setup and Open Practice
12:00-12:30 Clockwise Practice
12:30-1:00 Tech and Clockwise Qualifying
1:00-1:30 Clockwise OLPS
1:30-2:30 Lunch and/or Counterclockwise Practice
2:30-3:00 Counterclockwise Qualifying
3:00-3:30 Counterclockwise OLPS
3:30-*:** HFAY Track #1 Time Trials

*Unfortunately the F.O.P. Lodge was booked solid for the next couple weeks, so we’re still in the hunt for a race location. There’s a chance we may be able to use some floor space at my office, if not we’ll have to use the warehouse at Baseline and the 101 again. I should know Wednesday-ish.

But the good news- The Lodge is rented and waiting for us on the 22nd for Mini-AZ’s local series, the season finale 1 hour Le Mans/100 lap Sprint (so we can finally get this thing run ). So it’s 19th Ave and Cactus for the near future.
Old 2006.07.06, 11:59 PM   #53
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

Location Set!

We’ve secured an air conditioned indoor place to race this Saturday (just in time).

The Amercian Legion hall on the NW corner of 35th Ave and Thunderbird, across the street from Speed Sports. It’s in the strip of buildings back behind Jack in the Box/Checker Auto.

3534 W Calavar Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85053

The only catch is on refreshments- They said you can bring your own food but they want you to buy drinks from them. There may be an issue with kids on-site as well, not sure. I'll have to check tomorrow. Probably because there is a bar in the next room.

If you have any 1:18 bring it on out too, we'll give it a whirl on the RCP track.

Times are as listed in the previous post. Hope to see ‘ya all there!