Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2005.06.06, 01:51 AM   #1
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

Phoenix On-Road: A Usable Location

Just a heads-up fellow desert rats.

Not wanting to drive to the farthest corners of the valley, I’ve been looking around for a good place to run my rather low ride-height road cars. I noticed a location awhile back and finally tested it today, and it works! Hooray!

It’s a largely unused parking lot near I-17 and Bell Rd, behind Hooters near Kyoto Bowl. There used to be a grocery store there but it’s closed. The parking lot is wide open with no medians and very widely spaced light posts. Nothing to obstruct tracks from 1:28 to 1:10 size.

The asphalt is smooth and crack-free. There is just a hint of gravel, which I was able to remove by hand while setting up the corner dots. There’s still the 1mm-or-less grit, but a wide broom could have the surface perfect in 5min.

I tested my MR-02 McLaren and it ran with no problem (stock tires, about 90deg F). Well, except for the one rock I missed at the far end. Caught a bit of frightening air on that one . Mostly I ran my Formula 1 car (Carisma 1:14) without a hitch, sliding around some tight hairpins. What a blast.

I’ve had HPI 10” Corner Dots on order since about the invention of radio. Looks like I’ll never see those, so I purchased 10” plastic plates from a camping supply store. Works perfect for the 1:14 F1’s but act as a ramp for Z’s. I also use the 5” Losi Dots which are perfect for Z’s and still disturb the F1’s enough to use as lane boundaries. These are a great and inexpensive way to plunk down a track wherever you happen to be.
Dusty Weasle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.06.06, 02:41 AM   #2
saiyan
BooYa!!

That's cool . We'll have to set something up to meet there and run some laps and 'pop' some dots . I'm pretty much available friday through sunday.
Kamehamehaaaaa!!!!!! Rallye racers are the originators of drift Speedchannel on-line rocks!!
saiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.06.09, 02:03 AM   #3
saiyan
BooYa!!

A GTG stands for Get To Gether.

Crazydave is another local guy with an Iwaver 04.

I don't think i have anything planned for saturday, but i should double check with the wife. This sunday i'm going to the ' Big boys and their toys' show, but i don't see why i wouldn't be able to race either befor or after. I could probably get my wife to come out too. If we could make this a regular deal and get the word out here locally this could turn out to be real fun.
Kamehamehaaaaa!!!!!! Rallye racers are the originators of drift Speedchannel on-line rocks!!
Old 2005.06.16, 06:18 PM   #4
saiyan
BooYa!!

Well our first Phoenix gtg was kewl . There were only 2 of us, but it was fun . I was running late and forgot my camera so sorry no pics . I would like to do another one soon, but hopefully some more paople will show. Also the next one will probably be at the club house here in my townhome community as it is getting fairly warm out now to be standing in the middle of a tarmac parking lot. Or it will have to be first thing in the morning or after sunset. I think i'll put a flyer together and leave a bunch at the different LHS' to get the word out better.
Old 2005.06.17, 11:54 PM   #5
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

That was fun. Pretty hot out but once the sun got low and behind some clouds it was down right nice out.

The parking lot had a bit more grit this time, but a few sweeps of the wide broom and the track was clean enough (and ready made sand traps at the corners). The Losi Dots and 10” plastic plates make it fast and easy to change the track around.

My McLaren was no match for Saiyan’s Subaru unfortunately. It’s fast but way too loose in the corners (I have springs and tires on order). His car is quite stable. We also ran the Carisma F1’s until they fell apart from old war wounds. All glued back together again now, ready to race another day.

We’re going to try and beat the heat with 7am on Saturday (18th) if any locals care to join us. Bring any scale you’ve got. It’s a big parking lot, so bring ‘em all!

I didn’t think to bring a camera either, but what the heck, here’s a picture of the 1:14 Carismas I mentioned. I’d show the Mini-Z but it’s currently just the stock silver you’ve all seen. When I finally paint it I’ll post those pictures. Sure wish I could find a white body though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carisma.jpg (87.2 KB, 45 views)
Old 2005.06.18, 12:50 PM   #6
saiyan
BooYa!!

Well there were some casuallties for the 2nd Phx GTG, but it was fun anyway. There were 3 of racin the z cars this time and it was that much more fun. We started around 8am and i was already starting to sweat. I remembered my camera this time so i've included some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06-18-05 Phx gtg 001.jpg (23.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 06-18-05 Phx gtg 002.jpg (27.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 06-18-05 Phx gtg 003.jpg (29.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 06-18-05 Phx gtg 004.jpg (33.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 06-18-05 Phx gtg 005.jpg (41.0 KB, 36 views)
Old 2005.06.18, 12:52 PM   #7
saiyan
BooYa!!

Here are some mor pics plus bigger pics will be available in my gallery
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06-18-05 Phx gtg 006.jpg (37.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 06-18-05 Phx gtg 007.jpg (34.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 06-18-05 Phx gtg 008.jpg (39.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 06-18-05 Phx gtg 009.jpg (31.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 06-18-05 Phx gtg 010.jpg (37.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 2005.06.18, 12:53 PM   #8
saiyan
BooYa!!

Okay here are the last 2. I probably should have just put a link in the first post to the folder.....oooops.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06-18-05 Phx gtg 011.jpg (39.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 06-18-05 Phx gtg 012.jpg (35.7 KB, 30 views)
Old 2005.06.18, 10:24 PM   #9
saiyan
BooYa!!

Well i found the cause of my problems from that little crash, It's the steering pot. If i have it adjusted just alittle to one side it works everything fine, unfortunately i can't put it back together this way. But upon further tinkering it seems that if i apply a little pressure to it, it seems to affect it so maybe something to shim it like a piece of paper or something will work temporarily until i can find a replacement. I also need to invest in some rechargeable AAA's. I was going through my batteries like crazy.
Old 2005.06.19, 07:34 PM   #10
saiyan
BooYa!!

Well alright, i fixec my steering! I reasembled everything back the way i took it apart, but added a shim between the pot and the plastic that holds it and the servo saver in place. Then wedged it back into the chassis and tried it out befor i put it all back together and it worked perfectly. I had to resolder some of the wires as they would just pop off their joints, but otherwise it went smoothly. Now it's ready for the next PHX GTG! Just gotta get me some good rechargeables. There's an auction on the bay for 12 900mah GP AAA that seems like a good deal.

I will be calling my association tomarrow about the clubhouse. Hopefully it's reasonable to rent and spacious enough to set up a track in.
Old 2005.06.24, 12:49 AM   #11
DigitalMafia

Please add me to your notify list as my mini-z could use some company( I am in N. Glendale 51st ave. near 101). I just bought the Rayovac 15 minute charger and AAA's for it at Frys Electronics on Bell-they are 800 mah and you can charge a full set of 4 in 15 minutes (think they last 45 hard minutes or so)...nice-even comes with a car adaptor. So keep 8 on hand and you will never run out of juice.

DM.
DigitalMafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.06.24, 04:08 AM   #12
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

Welcome aboard DigitalMafia, glad to have a more full field. I’m not sure when we’re going to race again, soon hopefully. It’s just too hot out now, though a night race is still feasible. If we can get that indoor location we’ll be set.

Saiyan, glad to hear the steering was a relatively easy, and more importantly free, fix. (I was in the middle of a three-wide standing start and bungled it).

I finally got around to doing repairs also. I don’t know what that grinding noise was in the Williams-BMW. The pinion had moved out but was still tight. I took the whole Diff assembly apart and everything was perfect. Put it back together, pulled the trigger, and GRIIIINDD. So to find the source I held the throttle on and poof, it went away. Maybe it was just a tiny rock that found its way into the motor can. Pretty horrifying idea but it still runs, no apparent damage.

I was testing the F1 McLaren in the driveway and just tapped the garage door with the nose. Glass front wing on that thing. It’s got a fair amount of CA glue built up around the joint. But again, a free repair.

I’m experimenting with wheel balance. I put the 1:14 F1 wheels on a prop balancer for R/C planes and put blobs of Tacky Glue on the back side of the rims until they were evenly weighted. Between blasts from the thunderstorm I went outside, extended the shiny lightning rod of an antenna over my head, and ran the car around the street. It handled much better, far more stable in the turns.

Has anyone tried this with Mini-Z wheels? It’ll add a tiny bit of weight but it should help the handling. Or maybe they’re already pretty close, these 1:14 Carisma wheels had a fair amount of wobble to them. I have new Z tires on order so I’m waiting to balance those.

Last edited by Dusty Weasle; 2005.06.24 at 04:10 AM.
Old 2005.06.24, 11:36 AM   #13
saiyan
BooYa!!

Yea it's shaping up to be some good racing with a growing field of cars . I'll be calling my association today about the clubhouse, i've been unusually busy this week. I would be interested in a night race, we can just set up near some lights. I also have a lamp i can bring for additional lighting. Plus you'll actually be able to see the flashing lights on my police r34. I also have a 10'x10' pop-up for shade, but obviously it's not big enough for the track, but we can use it when we're workin on our cars and pit racin.

DW, glad to hear your gear noise was only temporary. I can bring some motor spay and we can hit that motor if you want. I think it's weird how large immovable objects can just suddenly jump out at ya. The garage obviously isn't intimadated by the small Z cars like it is of the 1:1s.

Last edited by saiyan; 2005.06.24 at 11:42 AM.
Old 2005.07.02, 02:07 AM   #14
saiyan
BooYa!!

Well from the e-mails it seems that most of us would be available / up for a GTG this Saturday or Monday. I'm kewl with that, but i was thinking of going out to the Gilbert HobbyTown races Saturday night to say hi and leave some flyers and then cruise by SRS in Scottsdale to leave some flyers, but it's not set in stone as i could save on gas and do some Z racin.

Hey DigitalMafia, do you have any shady parking lots to race near you?
Old 2005.07.02, 04:35 PM   #15
saiyan
BooYa!!

Okay, Dustyweasel and I will be at the parking lot behind the Hooters at Bell and I17 tonight at 7pm. Bring what ya got and don't forget it will still be quite warm out so bring something to drink. A broom will help to get the lot swept faster by having more of us do it.