Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2006.04.08, 05:42 AM   #31
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

The Yanks Are Coming

Brianmidnite, wow! Ten F1’s going around the track… well… it’s been a dream of mine… We’re a small club here and four cars is a crowded day. I’m definitely bringing the F1 then. You guys do seem to like the Jordan and Ferrari. I’ll be there with my pal Kimi (see pic), and the Silver Bullet- McLaren F1 LM.

The wife finally looked the map over and said we anticipate being in the Stafford region on the weekend of Sunday the 7th. (I still don’t even know exactly where we’re going on this trip).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DustyWeasle_McLarenMercedes_F1.jpg (113.8 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Dusty Weasle; 2006.04.08 at 05:46 AM.
Dusty Weasle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.04.09, 02:31 AM   #32
will3kgt

Hope you're having fun on the other side of the pond. Good luck racing over there.
will3kgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.04.09, 05:28 PM   #33
BrianMidnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Weasle
Brianmidnite, wow! Ten F1’s going around the track… well… it’s been a dream of mine… We’re a small club here and four cars is a crowded day. I’m definitely bringing the F1 then. You guys do seem to like the Jordan and Ferrari. I’ll be there with my pal Kimi (see pic), and the Silver Bullet- McLaren F1 LM.

The wife finally looked the map over and said we anticipate being in the Stafford region on the weekend of Sunday the 7th. (I still don’t even know exactly where we’re going on this trip).
Arranging a venue for Sunday 7th Dusty.....Looking forward to meeting you we've pulled our April HFAY forward a week to the 23rd to give us a fortnight in between events. Just got back from tonite GTG we raced with 6 F1's so with byebye sheila drew jonny & gina plus yourself on the 7th we should muster ten.
BrianMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.06.03, 02:28 AM   #34
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

Schedule Rounds 11 & 12

Hey Mini-AZ, I’m back from the island! We had a great time, seems like only a week went by. One month is not enough, England is bigger than it looks on a map.

Sorry you guys didn’t get to race. It was fun at Stafford, but the different weather rendered my reliable ‘ol Silver Bullet setup moot. I got it drivable by the Counterclockwise race though and racked up some points.

The highlight though was a field of ten F1’s running around a big track. Wow.

Well, after a long hiatus its time to start planning for the next race. OLPS rounds 11 & 12 are the last races of Season 1. Can everyone make it Sunday the 11th? Since Todd is out I suppose we don’t need to stick to Sundays, but I figure that lets you guys do 1:10 also. We can switch back to Saturdays though if everyone would rather that.

Let’s get this scheduled up very early though so we’re not trying to organize the night before. Saiyan, what’s the status of the new clubhouse? If we can’t get that we’ll need to go to Dink’s shop. At 112deg it’s too hot in my garage, though if we raced at night it would be manageable if uncomfortable.

If we can secure a large location, we can plan for the final AZGT on the 24th or 25th. The trophies are here waiting for owners.

I sent another message to the community center to see if they’ve discussed hosting the club yet. I haven’t talked to Ron at Speed Sports since I got back but I sent him information on Z’s and our equipment. I might take my 1:14 Carisma F1 out there tomorrow evening. They’re racing in the parking lot every Saturday now (35th Ave and Thunderbird).

My batteries are cycling on the charger now (and I have Dink’s new charger for him). Let me know when/where we can race.
Old 2006.06.03, 09:36 AM   #35
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
off topic, how do you like your carisma f1? i just bought a carisma 1/14 touring car and f1 for less than $100 any tips or tricks?
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.06.03, 09:37 PM   #36
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

The 1:14 Carisma cars are fun beginner cars. I have two of the F1’s (Williams and McLaren). $100 for two is a screaming deal as they retail pretty universally for $99ea.

They are very durable cars. I was running them in the dusty parking garage at work and planted them into concrete columns several times with no ill effect (a lot of 1:1 cars have done the same, terrible garage design).

It took months of car-to-car and car-to-concrete collisions before they were damaged. Despite that they are still running with glued-back-together parts. In fact, I’m heading out to race one of them tonight.

My only complaint would be that the F1’s are wicked loose under hard acceleration or even mild braking. There are limited adjustments and hop-ups available. Having decided to put the money into Mini-Z’s, I’m running box stock except front spring adjustments.

To correct the loose condition I put hard springs up front. This helped, but at full speed the front end would hop causing a spin. I also tried moving the read damper mount forward to preload the spring less. That helped too but I discovered the T-Plated flexed so much it bottomed out constantly. The ball diff would probably go a long way to helping with the acceleration spinouts.

I’ve found maintenance to be easy and parts fit together well. The stock diff housing is excellent and keeps the mechanism clean (but the chassis sounds like a maraca after filling with parking lot gravel). There was no notch on the motor shaft for the pinion screw to be tightened on. I found out after a collision caused my motor to suddenly spin freely.

The cars ride very low and the underside takes a beating quickly on asphalt. I’ve had the on/off switch smashed into the chassis, but it was easy to get inside and fix. Runs terrific on short carpet.

The tires are very soft and will wear down quickly, which I think is adding to my spin-under-any-condition problem. They have foam inserts inside, but you have to glue the tire to the rim so it’s not easy to change. Fortunately the parts are inexpensive.

For tracks I used the 5in Losi Corner Dots (about 80 of them) for boundaries and a bunch of 10in plastic camping plates for corners. You need about 50+ft for your fastest straightaway.

Last year I tried rubber cement to affix the tire to the rim so it would be easy to change. It didn’t work. I raced it at an event on the first day of 110deg heat (much like today). I was flying around the track and in the lead, when suddenly the tire went rolling away to run its own race!

Gasp! What to do? I didn’t know how much of a lead I had, but I wasn’t going to give it up. Onward I charge, coaxing my limping F1 around the orange cones to the sound of grinding plastic.

Across the finish line… I won by one solitary lap… and the rim looked like it had been through a cheese grader… but I won.

(And got a $5 coupon for the hobby shop)
Old 2006.06.04, 12:35 PM   #37
saiyan
BooYa!!

Hey dusty glad you had fun out there . I was dissapointed that we didn't get to race race the OLPS/HFAY for May, but i could not get ahold of Digitalmafia and figuered he was just busy with the new house . Anyway the clubhouse here at the new apartments on Thunderbird and 30th ave are available most of the time, but we should nail down a time soon so that i can make sure it is reserved for us. It's smaller then what we're used to and has a set up that may not let us set up a huge course. I would suggest that we arrange a time to have you come over so that you can check it out and get some area dimensions so that you can biuld a track layout to maximize the space. Roughly it's about 30' x 25' space, but there is a bar area and another countertop thingy that cuts into that. LMK and we can access it when ever.

With the divorce and all you will have to call me on my cell to get ahold of me. I will try and check out the site here and this thread in particular every couple of days or so, but this terminal is in the "tech room" here at the apartments near the clubhouse area and is not my own personal computer. Hopefully in the next month or so i can get another one for my self as the ex is apparently wanting to keep the other one .

Give me a call to set up a time for you to meet me here to check out the clubhouse.
Kamehamehaaaaa!!!!!! Rallye racers are the originators of drift Speedchannel on-line rocks!!
saiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.06.07, 02:32 AM   #38
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

June OLPS, Race 11 & 12

Saiyan is securing the new clubhouse, located conveniently closer to all of us. The new site is next to Fry’s near I-17 and Thunderbird. So this week its air conditioning for everyone!

The final round of the inaugural OLPS season will be held this Saturday the 10th at the new clubhouse. Saiyan will give us specific directions soon.

June OLPS
11:00-12:00 Track Setup and Open Practice
12:00-12:30 Clockwise Practice
12:30-1:00 Tech and Clockwise Qualifying
1:00-1:30 Clockwise OLPS
1:30-2:30 Lunch and/or Counterclockwise Practice
2:30-3:00 Counterclockwise Qualifying
3:00-3:30 Counterclockwise OLPS
3:30-*:** HFAY Track #6 Time Trials

I’m still pursuing the city community center for sponsoring the club but have not received an answer yet.

And while at the outdoor racing last Saturday at Speed Sports, I talked to a couple 1:10 guys who expressed interest in 1:28. Particularly the part about air conditioning, as the sun had long set but it was still in the mid-90’s.
Old 2006.06.08, 04:59 PM   #39
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

Exclamation Update: Moved to Sunday 11th

Saiyan has to work Saturday so we are moving the June OLPS to Sunday the 11th. Times the same as before.
Old 2006.06.11, 05:43 PM   #40
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

Can't Win for Trying

Well, due to a mix-up at the clubhouse we’re postponing the June OLPS until next Saturday the 17th. The clubhouse management scheduled us for next month rather than today. I think we should have crashed the birthday parting going on there. What kid wouldn't want a full blown R/C race at their party?

I sent a follow up e-mail to the Community Center about hosting the club but still have not heard back from them. I’m going to send the proposal directly to the Mayor next to see if The Man can put some leverage into this and get us a permanent home.

Saiyan went to talk to Speed Sports about running a small track there. An OLPS track might not fit, but there’s room for more than a Wide L. If we could run there, walk-ins would try it out which could help grow the club.

Any of you readers have a hobby shop, gaming store, or some such business in Phoenix? I WILL FREAKIN’ PAY YOU TO RACE AT YOUR PLACE! PAAAAAY YOOOOU! I WILL BRING MY TRACK AND LAP COUNTER!

I don’t know why this is so difficult in a place where it’s over 100deg much of the year. Sunset? Ha! It’s still 90-100deg at midnight. We recently had a boom in Go-Kart tracks and they’re indoors. You’d think indoor R/C racing would be a no brainer here, but its all 1:10, outdoors (mostly), and far away in the East valley.

Ok, I feel better now.
Old 2006.06.11, 11:46 PM   #41
will3kgt

Good luck with securing a spot for racing this summer Dusty. I hope to see your club grow. Your summer there are just as extreme as our winters here in MI.
will3kgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.06.12, 08:19 AM   #42
briankstan

I feel your pain. although for our club it's the Winter that brings the difficulties. We have been growing and have currently grown out of being able to use a garage. 12 to 15 people just won't fit with the track and pit tables.

I have been trying to get a indoor location for over a year, but I keep looking.

I hope you have better luck than I did. I also sent a letter to my city mayor, and he refered me to the Parks and Rec. and they don't want to respond... aaaahhhhh...the run around. Gotta love it NOT!!
Old 2006.06.13, 03:58 PM   #43
saiyan
BooYa!!

Well some potentially good news is that the AMF bowling alley accross the street might be willing to let us hold the races in there extra room that looks to be about 20'x20'. The manager on duty needs to talk to the "big boss" and will let me know if it's a go. I figuer this would be a good back up venue incase there is scheduling issues again. The clubhouse would make a better venue though cuase it's bigger and would be much quieter then listening to bowling balls slap wood and pins. There would be easy access to bathrooms and coffee as well as the main pool with a juccuzzi here at the clubhouse. I'm trying to set it up that we get the clubhouse 2 week-ends a month and hopefully it will be discounted. I'll let everyone know what's up as i find out the info. I will be securing the clubhouse for this saturday unless we need to do it on sunday.
Kamehamehaaaaa!!!!!! Rallye racers are the originators of drift Speedchannel on-line rocks!!
saiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.06.13, 04:41 PM   #44
imxlr8ed

Start the letters with... "Hi, I voted for you and I think your one of the greatest mayors this city has ever had !" (even if the guy is currently under some kinda federal investigation for stealing from the city.) j/k

It's great that you guys are trying those routes... keep floating those emails ! be so annoying to them, they'll have to give you what you want to shut you up ! (kinda like what Andy did in Shawshank Redemption, only you're not in prison )

(yes... that movie is one of my favs )

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)

Last edited by imxlr8ed; 2006.06.13 at 04:43 PM.
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.06.15, 04:43 AM   #45
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

Déjà Vu- June OLPS, Race 11 & 12

Ok, trying again:

The final round of the inaugural OLPS season will be held this Saturday the 17th at the new clubhouse. Saiyan will give us specific directions soon.

June OLPS
11:00-12:00 Track Setup and Open Practice
12:00-12:30 Clockwise Practice
12:30-1:00 Tech and Clockwise Qualifying
1:00-1:30 Clockwise OLPS
1:30-2:30 Lunch and/or Counterclockwise Practice
2:30-3:00 Counterclockwise Qualifying
3:00-3:30 Counterclockwise OLPS
3:30-*:** HFAY Track #6 Time Trials

Some good news coming finally, sort of. I heard back from the Community Center. They said given their busy Summer schedule they want to wait until the Fall before doing an R/C club, but they will be in touch with me about it. So, it’s a ways off, but we may get in.

I also talked to Ron at Speed Sports and he said he’s interested in carrying Mini-Z stuff. In fact he was in contact with Kyosho to get F1’s but they didn’t have any for him!

I’ll talk to the powers-that-be at work to try and wrangle our big conference room. A big room for free would be great. Due to security though I doubt we can swing it. We’ll see.