Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2020.03.29, 06:40 PM   #1
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Advan Godzilla Chevrolet Corvette ZR1

Advan Godzilla Chevrolet Corvette ZR1

Materials:
Unpainted Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 autoscale
Krylon Fusion Gloss Vintage Grey
Krylon Fusion Satin Spring Green
Tamiya Flat Black
Future Floor Polish
Pattos Nissan GTR GT3 Godzilla No 84 2015 decals, 1/27 scale, clear vinyl in customized to remove background colors

Having completed the GT01 Godzilla car, I wanted to move forward with another set and while I have an outstanding decal order sitting in a boat or plane somewhere from Australia, I decided to raid my decal stash. I have a decal set that was printed to slightly larger scale thus some aspects where not usable and forced my hand at taking on much more of the livery in paint vs. decals. I also don't have a great paint match for the decal green so worked out for the best.
The actual car livery is black base, white stripes and green accent. I don't like black as a base color and the lighting on the decals has far to match green and dark colors so switched the black base for the grey.
I have strong desires to use very specific colors on the next iteration of this paint job however I'll need to get Pattos to custom modify the color spread to match what I want, if he's willing to do that. He currently only sells the decals in one of three color combinations; white/yellow/black, black/white/green and white/purple/blue. I'm looking for grey/black/red. (base/stripes/accent color)

The trick to making this whole thing work as being able to trace the Godzilla profile in mask tape, trim and get it painted without horrible paint bleeds. I found a cheap A4 sized LED light board on Amazon that works well (not as it is designed due to being a cheap product) and was able to trace the profile fine. I found through trial and error the best way to trace and cut so that I get clean cut lines. I trace with a fine Gundam marker and always cut into the interior of the profile vs. outside the line. this keeps any over cuts toward the inside where it doesn't necessarily matter.

In application, I can already tell that I leaned it to far toward the rear as the nose ens up pointing ever so slightly upward vs. level or down on the GT01. Leaning it to far backward also reduces the footprint of the accent color, along with placement to far towards the rear. I could have easily gained another 2-3mm space forward however wan't certain where the door numbers were going to be placed at the time as I had not yet mocked up those locations. Order of operations is always a key learning curve for me as I learn the optimal order in which things need to happen for the best result.

The photos doe not include the color matched wheels. I was too lazy to swap those out for the photos.

Overall, I'm happy with the outcome but look to make improvements on the next one. Particularly if I can have the decal colors altered.

Last edited by arch2b; 2020.03.29 at 06:45 PM.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.03.29, 07:09 PM   #2
Rooster29

That is slick Arch.
Great work as usual!
Rooster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.03.30, 09:01 PM   #3
KWT

Turned out great
KWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.03.31, 06:51 AM   #4
arch2b

Thanks. Worried about decals coming from Patton’s now. I have a couple sets that will have been in transit for 8 weeks today. I want to do a couple more of these but hesitant to spend the money if uncertain they will ever arrive. They are not cheap.

You will be seeing this one on the track, it’s going to Ganesh. He had a build from me on hold pending delivery of decals but not sure when, if ever they will arrive thus jumped to something else for the time being. Next will be the Lark 12C
Old 2020.04.01, 07:55 PM   #5
KWT

I can't wait for the Lark.
KWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.04.02, 07:22 AM   #6
briankstan

Saw this on FB, you did an excellent job on this. love the color combo as well. this is one of my Favorites that I have seen you do.
Old 2020.04.02, 08:40 AM   #7
arch2b

I had wanted to use a Lime green over the grey but I thought it would make the decals stand out too much since they are already a dark green. I’m already planning another but don’t know yet what it will be applied to. I also need to get the decals custom color altered which may or may not happen. I’m still waiting on some decals that were to have been mailed 8 weeks ago.