Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2004.05.25, 07:40 PM   #1
micromonsterz

Send a message via Yahoo to micromonsterz
Gpm Shocks / Fitting / Tips / Problems

Just a quick review on some problems and tips associated with the GPM shocks for the monster for the NOVICE like me.

Firstly you need a 1.5mm allen key to fit and this does not come with the shocks. HOW TO MAKE IT BETTER? (small trip to hardware store)

Second - the shocks use a smaller pillow ball joint for the bottom of the shock (where they click onto the body) and the thread on the end of the pillow balls that come with the shocks are not long enough to screw in tight into the body. Therefore not a real confidence boster if your tough on your monster as i see them pulling out etc. HOW TO MAKE IT BETTER ? I added some SUPAGLUE to the thread and screwed them in. I cannot say how im going to get them off should one break but i will remedy that if it arises.

Lastly and not a problem just a TIP. To change the springs on the shocks you need to screw the top of the shock body. When the top is off push the shock together until the inner comes up and just out of the now opened top of the shock. You will see a small clip on the top. With a set of pliers grab the steel rod that the clip is on (just above it) and screw the yellow part at the bottom (by hand) to remove it from the shock. Then just take it apart,,,put in the other springs and do in reverse to put back together.

If this post has been posted by all means delete.
micromonsterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.05.25, 08:01 PM   #2
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
i've never had the smaller pillow balls pull out. the only problem i have is using them with alloy gearboxes. after a day of use, they tend to wiggle loose. this is easily fixed with a dab of locktite
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.05.26, 07:20 AM   #3
leomax001

Hi,
just a little advice: avoid gpm alloy shocks, better the kyosho oil ones..........I've tried both on my monster and kyosho are really the best in progression, shocks absorbing ecc........
leomax001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.05.26, 12:00 PM   #4
Mondo
Mini-Zedologist - Fear me

Shock therapy

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromonsterz
Lastly and not a problem just a TIP. To change the springs on the shocks you need to screw the top of the shock body......put in the other springs and do in reverse to put back together.
I have two Monsters, one has stock standard suspension, ideal for crawling, whereas the second one is a "40th Anniversary" Chromed release and ships with Kyosho oil shocks.

I recommend using the standard Monster springs with the GPM "grease" shocks.
Having tried the GPM shocks on my two Overlands, I found the standard Kyosho springs much better than the somewhat firm springs shipped with the GPM shocks.
Eventually I sold the GPM shocks and replaced them with the Kyosho oil units on both Overlands which are a massive improvement (at a massive cost increase too)

The UberMod is back in town...
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.06.02, 05:43 AM   #5
micromonsterz

Not worth the money

After installing these shocks and running them i feel they are a total waste of money. The small pillow balls continually pulled out with heavy knocks and the yellow balls look seriously disturbing. The top of the shock where they screw down were faulty from the manufacture and were threaded. (poor manufacturing by GPM). "BE WARNED"

Stick with the kyosho oil shock(use no oil as they leak, instead install three spacers on each to harden) Or simply use the stock red shocks from kyosho.

Only parts i would upgrade on a monster would be the following,
alloy front knuckles and steering rod
front and rear shock stays
alloy rims
alloy front and rear bumers
x speed motor
bearings.

cheers
Old 2004.06.02, 08:40 AM   #6
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
while i generally agree about the gpm shocks, i have never had a ball screw pull out in 2 years. that doens't mean it can't happen though.

i have also never had leaky k. oil shocks. atleast not to the point to where i am concerned. i readjust/fill them once a month anyway.

sounds like you were unlucky enough to get several bad parts from various manufacturer's. it does happen.....
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.06.02, 09:33 PM   #7
micromonsterz

to tinker or not to tinker - arch2b

Arch2b, i definately agree with what you said and should have pointed that fact out when i wrote the post...........

(non-tinkerer)
If you like to just get the old monster out and play with it without constant maintanence (like me) you should probably take on board most of what i suggested.

(the tinkerer)
If like you (i know your a "tinkerer" arch2b) from the forums that youve posted, your comments are also well suggested.

Two differrent views go to making a better choice and this is what the forums are all about. Well done Arch2b.

Lastly that top photo you submitted is the best pic i have seen of a monster anywhere. I have tried to emulate a better shot of a monster and nothing comes close at this stage. (*its my wallpaper) I will continue the battle however.

Cheers